Need retro rack for VW bus

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Elliott, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    Just got a cherry 1971 VW bus. Now I need a rack suitable for 2 road bikes for it. Something retro.
    What would be in keeping with the hippie microbus look? Yet functional.

    MikeE

    Tags:

  2. Q.

    Q. Guest

    Oh lord ... you actually made me go and look on google for one (c:

    Seems Fiamma makes one that would fit your "bus" perfectly, and looks kinda retro ... natural
    extruded aluminum. Doesn't quite match the rusty, flaking chrome racks I remember, but you can't
    have everything.

    I need to get some sleep ...

    HTH,
    C.Q.C.

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got a cherry 1971 VW bus. Now I need a rack suitable for 2 road bikes for it. Something
    > retro. What would be in keeping with the hippie microbus look? Yet functional.
    >
    > MikeE

  3. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    Q. wrote:

    > Oh lord ... you actually made me go and look on google for one (c:
    >
    > Seems Fiamma makes one that would fit your "bus" perfectly, and looks kinda retro ... natural
    > extruded aluminum. Doesn't quite match the rusty, flaking chrome racks I remember, but you can't
    > have everything.
    >
    > I need to get some sleep ...

    . . . or a life :)

    It's perfect! Thanks for your help!

    Mike Elliott

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >Doesn't quite match the rusty, flaking chrome racks I remember, but you can't have everything.

    Not on mine. I made it out of wood. Carried 4 bikes to Montreal for the World Chanpionships in
    1974-from San Francisco-but that's another story. Phil Brown

  5. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got a cherry 1971 VW bus. Now I need a rack suitable for 2 road bikes for it. Something
    > retro. What would be in keeping with the
    hippie
    > microbus look? Yet functional.

    There were no good racks in 1971 unless you made one yourself. The popular rack for the VW bus was
    that hoop thing bolted to your back fender and belted into the vents on the engine compartment.
    However, most people I knew just put their bikes on the inside and not the outside. That was one of
    the few benefits of the VW bus, other than the abundant room on the side panels for Dead stickers.
    -- Jay Beattie.

  6. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >There were no good racks in 1971 unless you made one yourself.

    I made mine because I was/am a cheapskate but Empi made a nice one. Phil Brown