Need rim tape on Ksyrium Elite wheels?

greyg8r

Feb 15, 2004
I just purchased a set of Ksyrium Elite wheels for my Orbea Onix and have a simple question: do I / should I use rim tape? The nipples do not extend through the wheels and thus do not touch the tube.

What do ya'll do?

greyg8r said:
I just purchased a set of Ksyrium Elite wheels for my Orbea Onix and have a simple question: do I / should I use rim tape? The nipples do not extend through the wheels and thus do not touch the tube.

What do ya'll do?

No tape required.

Ksyrium ES wheels have no holes on exterior (tube-side) rim surface , so no need for tape. If Elite's (or any other clincher rims) have holes, they have to be covered; otherwise you WILL have a blowout eventually as pressure in tube will force tube surface down into hole and hole edge will wear hole in tube. Happened to me this past summer; had blowout on inner surface of tube. I could see all the little round sots where each nipple hole was wearing tube away. I had lightweight nylon tape (came w/ wheel) which wore out--replaced with Velox cloth. High pressure (10 bar) in tyre probably contributed to problem, but it was going to happen eventually.

OldGoat said:
Ksyrium ES wheels have no holes on exterior (tube-side) rim surface , so no need for tape. If Elite's (or any other clincher rims) have holes, they have to be covered

Ksyrium Elites, just like Ksyrium ES's or SL's, do not have holes. No rim tape required!

It is however recommended that the hole for the valve stem and the welded seam 180° opposite that hole be covered with electrical tape, to prevent potentially sharp edges from compromising the tube.