Need Road Bike for Long Trip

penguinboy

Aug 2, 2006
I am 15 years old and plan to ride across america when I get out of HS. I need a well built road bike to get me across in Six weeks. The plans have already been made and I know I am not backing out. So if anyone has any info that can help me choose a new bike, or just feel like I might need to know something to help me get across the country please feel free to put in ur part.

WOW! 6 weeks! Hope you succeed! Well there are two trains of thought for long distance rides: Touring bikes and racing bikes. The difference being that the touring bikes tend to be more comfortable over the long run, are built a bit stronger to handle the stress of being loaded down with packs/panniers. The racing bike you would only use with a support crew following you for an all out blast across the country (like the RAAM race) as you have the support crew carry all the supplies. With the touring bike, you would be able to carry most supplies to be self-sufficient. As for brands, any one of them make good touring bikes. Among the popular are Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. Their touring bikes are very well respected. Good luck!