Need serious help with BB, crankset, and cassette/cog

jodom

Dec 17, 2012
This is my first build so I'm not completely sure on some things.

I have this wheelset bought for my fixie: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/22022-365_ORGWS0-3-Parts-75-Wheelsets/Origin-8-Fixed/Fixed-Wheelset-offer.htm?utm_source=SLI&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=43&zmap=22022

The main problems I have had with trying to find this stuff is that I can't find a bottom bracket and crankset that will work. I also am completely lost on the whole cassette/cog thing. I really just need to know what cassette/cog, bottom bracket, and crankset that will work with that to make it a fixie. The bottom bracket width is 70mm.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by jodom .

This is my first build so I'm not completely sure on some things.

I have this wheelset bought for my fixie: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/22022-365_ORGWS0-3-Parts-75-Wheelsets/Origin-8-Fixed/Fixed-Wheelset-offer.htm?utm_source=SLI&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=43&zmap=22022

The main problems I have had with trying to find this stuff is that I can't find a bottom bracket and crankset that will work. I also am completely lost on the whole cassette/cog thing. I really just need to know what cassette/cog, bottom bracket, and crankset that will work with that to make it a fixie. [COLOR= #ff0000]The bottom bracket width is 70mm[/COLOR].

[COLOR= #000000]A[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000] 70mm wide BB shell [/COLOR]suggests that you probably have a frame which has an ITALIAN threaded ([COLOR= #ff0000]36x1[/COLOR]) BB shell ... there may be exceptions of other types which also have a 70mm wide shell and yet are not Italian threaded, but the chances are low ...

If so, then you can use almost ALMOST any type of Crankset for which there is a matching Italian Threaded BB ...

• If you use a Road crankset, you simply need to buy some chainring bolts which are designed for a single chainring & mount the chainring on the outer shoulder.

• If you use a MTB crankset, then you will need to mount the chainring on the inner shoulder of the crank's spider.

Presumably, the rear wheel has a FLIP-FLOP hub ... that means that both sides are threaded, with one side typically capable of handling a TRACK cog + lockring (left hand thread) ...

If you simply want a Single Speed with which is capable of COASTING ([COLOR= #006400]a good thing[/COLOR], IMO), then you would simply mount a BMX Freewheel onto the side which does not have the dual threading ...

YOU need to decide whether you want to use 1/8" or 3/32" chains, chainrings & cogs ...

• 1/8" is more robust
  • 3/32" is what you will find on Road bikes

BMX Freewheels are available with teeth in either width ... check DANSCOMP.COM for reference or your purchase(s) ... I recommend ACS Freewheels.

You can use a 1/8" chain on a 3/32" cog/Freewheel/chainring, so if you are in a bind, you can mix and match to some extent ...

Of course (?), a 3/32" chain will not fit on a 1/8" cog or chainwheel.

BTW. The most difficult (?) part about a Single Speed is possibly determining the appropriate gearing ... if you want to use one of the two chainrings which typically comes with a crankset, then you will have to determine the number of teeth on the Freewheel and/or Cog based on the desire ratio which you feel comfortable riding with ...

You can ALWAYS walk up the hills which your compromise gearing isn't low enough for.

I guess THE immediate questions which I have for you are ...

1. what type of frame are you working with?
  2. what terrain are you planning on riding on?

Quote: ITALIAN threaded[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] ([/COLOR]36x1[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]) BB shell[/COLOR]
I can only find BB that say 36x24 not 36x1, are they the same or what? (I'm completely new to BB and other technical stuff. haha)

1. The frame is an old Western Flyer Alta Tecnica. It's a pretty cheap frame.
2. It will be mostly asphalt maybe a little gravel and such.

My bad ...

Although 36x1 is the same-thing-in-my-mind (!?!) as 36x24, 36x24 is the correct designation for an Italian Threaded BB.

To state the obvious, I am NOT familiar with the particular Western Flyer frame ...

• AFAIK, most-if-not-all commonly available Western Flyers bikes had Ashtabula (aka "American") BBs which had 1-piece cranks; but, the "Alta Tecnica" name certainly suggests a frame which could possibly have an Italian heritage ...

• FYI, Ashtabula BB shells are just over 2" in diameter (~51mm) ...
So, measure the inner diameter of the BB shell to ensure that your Western Flyer Alta Tecnica more-than-likely has an Italian threaded BB shell.

BTW. A 42t chainring + 16t Freewheel-or-Cog is a common pairing ...

For "off" road gearing a 32t (104BCD / MTB) chainring + 22t Freewheel-or-Cog is not uncommon (THAT gearing presumes climbing on dirt trails).

BTW2. If you will be riding on gravel, then you probably want to use some 700x32 tires + inner tubes with PRESTA valves (the size of the valve holes in 99.9% of 700c rims presumes Presta inner tubes).

Do you know if this BB and crankset would work? My confusion is that the original BB spindle is 140mm and the largest size this BB has is 118mm.

BB: http://harriscyclery.net/product/shimano-un54-70mm-italian-bottom-bracket-36mmx24tpi-1802.htm
Crankset: http://www.projektfixie.com/products/crank

Originally Posted by jodom .

Do you know if this BB and crankset would work? My confusion is that the original BB spindle is 140mm and the largest size this BB has is 118mm.

BB: http://harriscyclery.net/product/shimano-un54-70mm-italian-bottom-bracket-36mmx24tpi-1802.htm
Crankset: http://www.projektfixie.com/products/crank
The particular Shimano BBs are "JIS Square Taper" but ...

YOU have found the conundrum of square taper BBs & Cranks!

That is, over a period of 20+ years, there was limited continuity between brands ... and, even though the Crank which you linked to has a "JIS Square Taper" it does not mean that every "JIS Square Taper" BB will work with it -- some JIS (and, ISO) Square Taper BBs are asymmetrical while others are symmetrical.

FWIW. A wonderful thing occurred in the waning years of the 20th Century which should not be shunned -- i.e., symmetrical BB spindles ...

• while the symmetrical BB spindle meant immediate lack of compatibility with older cranks, it also meant that future component choice & assembly should be easier ...

• but, THAT isn't necessarily the case if a person chooses a SQUARE TAPER Crank & BB unless you buy the Crank & BB from the same "retailer" UNLESS the two components are the otherwise known to be the compatible ...

Regardless, by my memory & reckoning, a 118mm spindle is more often than not for a TRIPLE Crankset UNLESS it is for an older Crank (e.g., 80s vintage) ...

YOU may want a 107mm (which I presume is symmetrical & I think originally intended for the Shimano DA 7400 cranks) or 115mm spindle (also, symmetrical)...

The 113mm JIS spindles tend to be "asymmetrical" (which means you would need an crank whose receiving holes have an "asymmetrical" depth) ...

If you want a square taper Crankset, then MY recommendation is that unless you are wedded to having a colored crankset + 1/8" chainrings that you simply buy

• a USED, 5-arm CAMPAGNOLO CHORUS Crankset off of eBay which uses a 102mm BB + a 102mm Chorus BB ...
  • OR, an older Shimano Octalink Crankset + appropriate 109.5mm Octalink BB (there are two different types of Octalink BB spindles -- V1 & V2, where V2 is primarily for MTB cranks)
  • OR, a Shimano Hollowtech II or FSA MegaExo Crankset (the two are interchangeable)
  • OR, a Campagnolo Ultra Torque or Power Torque crankset

THAT's a long way of saying that if you really want an anodized Crankset that YOU need to contact the seller to find out whether the crank uses a symmetrical-or-asymmetrical BB spindle & which BB spindle length is recommended for the particular crankset.

hi there. on the subject of the bottom bracket i also need some advise. i have recently got myself a single speed fixed. i was highly interested in the customisation of it all. i want to build myself a fixed as a little project and intend on buying a charge plug 2 frame to work with as this is what i have now and like it. (a lot better than my create frame anyway). mine is fitted with a Tange Seiki filly sealed bottom bracket which with how many i have found out there means very little to me. i have looked on ebay for this BB but nothing is found. if i search for the brand several are found but none labelled as fully sealed. this is the same with shimano BB's. Can i use any? they also range from £10 upwards but some over £100 i have found. finally i wish to ask about the measurements. i know i need a 68mm. but then what about the length and square taper? does this matter? your help is appreciated.

Square Taper?

When in doubt, choose a Campagnolo crankset + Campagnolo/-compatible, English threaded Bottom Bracket ...

• Chorus/Record -- 102mm ISO BB
  • Other Campagnolo -- probably 111mm asymmetric ISO BB

Many of the other square taper cranks which are currently available (as new, for Single Speeds) will probably use a 113mm asymmetric JIS BB.