Need some advice from the experts here

ac29593

New Member
Jul 2, 2003
Hi everyone.

Im new to these forums and just bought my first road bike the other day.

I am around 5' 9 to 5' 10" in height.

I was debating what size frame to get.

My bike is a Felt Racing F65 model.

I sat on the 56in frame first and it was too big for me.

I was told by the salesperson that my size is around a 54in for a frame.

When I strattled the 54in frame it was not too comfortable either, although I cleared it. I took it for a spin, but was reaching forward a bit more for my liking.

I had them put together a 52in frame.

I feel extremely comfortable on this one, and bought it.

I felt like the bars were the perfect length for me as I sat on the bike, and it rode great.

The seat is raised more due to the smaller frame.

My question is, was this a smart purchase?

To buy a frame that MIGHT be a bit small, but one that I am most comfortable on?

Should I have gone with the 54in and got used to the way it feels?

I just dont want to lose performance by being to cramped on the bike, althought it doesnt feel that cramped. I just dont have much to compare it to because it is my first bike.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I wanted to address this problem before it was too late....I could probably swap the bike for a larger frame if I went back to the store and told them the bike was too small.

I feel that it is perfect and easier to handle, but like I said, Im new to the game.

Thanks!

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:01:08 +0950, ac29593 wrote:

> I was debating what size frame to get.

The time to ask is before you buy the bike...

> I was told by the salesperson that my size is around a 54in for a frame.
>

> When I strattled the 54in frame it was not too comfortable either, although I cleared it. I took
> it for a spin, but was reaching forward a bit more for my liking.

That is a function of the length of the stem, a $15 item.

> I had them put together a 52in frame.
>

> I feel extremely comfortable on this one, and bought it.
>

> I felt like the bars were the perfect length for me as I sat on the bike, and it rode great.

Fine

> The seat is raised more due to the smaller frame.

Not the end of the world.

> My question is, was this a smart purchase?

The bike you ride is a "smart purchase", the one you don't isn't.

> To buy a frame that MIGHT be a bit small, but one that I am most comfortable on?

You are the one who has to ride it. Be comfortable.

You might be more comfortable, later, with the seat higher. But these days very long posts are
available.

> Thanks for any advice you can give me. I wanted to address this problem before it was too
> late....I could probably swap the bike for a larger frame if I went back to the store and told
> them the bike was too small.

Look, it's impossible to tell over the internet whether or not a bike fits you. Decent bike shops
can fit you well. That's what they do.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

x-no-archive:yes

I just have one question: when you sit on the bike and look down, does it seem too tiny? If you can
answer "no" then the bike is probably okay. Do you feel as if you are a giant about to squash the
small frame?

I am 5'8" and was actually fitted on a 60 cm Schwinn (at College Cycles near the U. of Md campus).
I rode it for years---well, until 2001 when I bought my Bianchi. Now, I am riding a 55 cm bike and
it is just perfect. All those years, I felt as if I were straddling some giant bike but I went
along because the bike shop guy told me it was right. I actually had to tilt it just to put both my
feet on the ground. This new bike fits me like it was made for just me! If you feel that way about
your new bike, then go with it and enjoy it.

Pat in Texas

Thanks for the response guys.

When I look at the bike standing next to it, it looks like it could be a bit small, but def. dont feel like Im a giant next to it.

The frame is only about two inches from my crotch when I stand over it, and I heard that around 1 inch was the ideal height. Not too bad I guess.

I raised the seat about a half inch more today and didnt like it, so i brought it back to where it was.

That answered my question I guess, because I liked it lower like I thought and have the room to bring it higher if needed.

I feel better now that I have some advice along the lines of "Im the one riding the bike so I should be comfortable".

That was what I was hoping people would say.

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Thanks for the response guys.
>

> When I look at the bike standing next to it, it looks like it could be a bit small, but def. dont
> feel like Im a giant next to it.
>
> The frame is only about two inches from my crotch when I stand over it, and I heard that around 1
> inch was the ideal height. Not too bad I guess.
>

> I raised the seat about a half inch more today and didnt like it, so i brought it back to
> where it was.
>

> That answered my question I guess, because I liked it lower like I thought and have the room to
> bring it higher if needed.
>

> I feel better now that I have some advice along the lines of "Im the one riding the bike so I
> should be comfortable".
>

> That was what I was hoping people would say.

Just keep in mind that what fits you best may change over time as your body adapts to it and your
conditioning improves with the extra riding you'll do on a better-fitting bike. So you may want to
move things around a bit more in 3 months or so.

it's morning".

First, if you came to this newsgroup for "expertise," be advised that there's usually very little of
that here. Unfortunately, I've found very little of it in bike shops as well.

It would help to know how you intend to ride. If you intend to just casually ride around the
neighborhood a couple of times a week, then what you've done is probably fine. If you intend to get
into daily training and want to do weekend centuries (100 mile rides), you may have made a mistake
-- but probably nothing that can't be corrected with some stem, saddle and seatpost adjustments.

I probably ride a good bit more than the average person I see posting here -- I generally ride 250
to 275 miles per week year round. To endure that, I've had to learn how to really dial in the fit of
the bike. There are all kinds of theories and formulas out there. I've learned to take from each one
what works for me and to try to gleen the essence of what they're all trying to accomplish. You need
to have a certain amount of leg extension for the knees to be comfortable and for maximum power. But
too much is not good. You shouldn't have to rock side to side in the saddle at the bottom of the
pedal stroke. You need to have a more-or-less flat back for comfort. You need to try to balance your
weight distribution between your hands, feet and butt.

Very little of this has to do with your height. I'm 5'7" tall. My training partner is 5'7" tall. We
can barely ride each other's bikes. He has long legs and a short torso. I have short legs and a long
torso. It makes a huge difference. Also, standover height, or your ability to clear the frame with
your crotch is almost completely irrelevant. I've probably ridden 50,000 miles in the last 5 years
and not once has my crotch ever come in contact with the top tube. What's WAY more relevant is the
top tube length -- it should be long enough that with a 10 or 11 cm stem you are laid out with a
flat, comfortable back when you reach for the bars. Some compensation for a too-short tube can be
made with a longer stem, but you can compromise the handling of the bike.

For a good general discussion of bike fit, go to www.coloradocyclist.com and look for the link to
bike fit. Greg Lemond's book has some good info. Also, there are quite a few websites on the
subject. Just do a search on bike fit.

As someone else said, the most important thing is that it's comfortable enough to keep you
riding it.

But one last thing. If you're new to cycling, you may find that a "correct fit" doesn't feel right
for a ride or two, but starts to feel great with a little time. Kinda like a golf swing.

news:[email protected]...

ac29593 <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi everyone.
>

> Im new to these forums and just bought my first road bike the other day.
>

> I am around 5' 9 to 5' 10" in height.
>

> I was debating what size frame to get.
>

> My bike is a Felt Racing F65 model.
>

> I sat on the 56in frame first and it was too big for me.
>

> I was told by the salesperson that my size is around a 54in for a frame.
>

> When I strattled the 54in frame it was not too comfortable either, although I cleared it. I took
> it for a spin, but was reaching forward a bit more for my liking.
>

> I had them put together a 52in frame.
>

> I feel extremely comfortable on this one, and bought it.
>

> I felt like the bars were the perfect length for me as I sat on the bike, and it rode great.
>

> The seat is raised more due to the smaller frame.
>

> My question is, was this a smart purchase?
>

> To buy a frame that MIGHT be a bit small, but one that I am most comfortable on?
>

> Should I have gone with the 54in and got used to the way it feels?
>

> I just dont want to lose performance by being to cramped on the bike, althought it doesnt feel
> that cramped. I just dont have much to compare it to because it is my first bike.
>

> Thanks for any advice you can give me. I wanted to address this problem before it was too
> late....I could probably swap the bike for a larger frame if I went back to the store and told
> them the bike was too small.
>

> I feel that it is perfect and easier to handle, but like I said, Im new to the game.
>

> Thanks!

You'll know the bike fits when you're 30 miles into a ride and you're thinking "Yeah, I can catch
that guy." instead of "Damn my (insert relevant body part) hurts. It's kind of like true love.
You'll know beyond all question.

ac29593 wrote:
> ... I sat on the 56in frame first and it was too big for me.....

56 inches is a rather large frame size. ;)