Need some advice. New to cycling.

SUBIEspecial

Jul 21, 2010
Hello peeps!
I am looking into starting a new hobby or "thing to do". I wanna get my wife into cycling as well because its good for you and just seems fun as hech.

I always notice all the riders heading up the mountains (I live in Colorado) - Can't help but notice how fun it looks.:cool:

Anyway, I have no idea where to start looking for bikes.:eek: We just need nice beginner bikes. Nothing crazy. Is it possible for us to go into this hobby with.... $1200 for everything? Bikes, shoes, helmets?:confused: TYVM:D

Welcome! It's definitely possible to do with that budget. About 200 of it will end up going to helmets, bottles, clothes, a bit more if you get shoes, by which I assume you mean clipless pedals and shoes to match. You can get good bikes for around 500, your best bet would be to go to a good bike shop and tell them your budget. They should be able to show you some bikes around that price range, then it's just which ever one feels right. Good luck!

Hi,
I read your post. I might be new to this website but I have been cycling for many years.
I want you to know that I have also ridden in the Bicycle Tour of Colorado and enjoyed it very much.
Now as for your questions:
I recommend that you decide if you want to ride mostly roads, bike paths or in the woods (trails). Different bikes for different terrain.
I also recommend that you buy a bike from a bicycle shop and not a big box store. You will need a good mechanic and tips and the bike store is best place for that. Ask to see "entry level bikes".
Try to use the toe clips that come with the bike at first (look like cages for toes)
Try out a "spinning" sneaker with the toe clips. A spinning sneaker has a stiff sole and will help prevent numb toes. Also they are cheaper then cycling shoes.
Do invest in a cycling computer as this will help you judge what you can do physically.
Then join a bicycle club and get magazines about bicycle tours.
BTW: have fun!

ty guys very much!

what local club are you in. In Colorado?

I think we will mostly be doing road. Anyway, tyvm again for the advice. I cant wait to start riding.

If your question about the bicycle club is for me, I do not live in Colorado. I do know there are clubs out there.
Best source for that information can also be found at your local bicycle store. They might have a bulletin board with that info in the store.
I recommend that you look for a bicycle touring club, not a race club.

No such thing as getting into biking for $1200. :)

First, there's the bike. Then, it becomes clear that you "need" a helmet, gloves, shoes, shorts, shirts, water bottles, tools, bike rack, etc.

The next thing you know, your "value-priced cycling experience" is quickly climbing the $2000 threshold.

My wife and I figured we'd get into biking and "test the waters," and within the 4 months we've been riding, we've eclipsed the $4000 mark. :eek:

Oh yeah, we're not done spending yet... :eek: