Need some advice on narrow lane safety

Mcwop

Aug 9, 2010
So I started commuting to work via bike and metro here in the Baltimore area. When I get off the metro, I ride a stretch of road that is two lanes, with the right lane being super narrow. Well I almost got creamed, as someone tried to cram his car between me and the car in the next lane over.

Not sure if anyone has any tips here as there may be nothing to do except grin and bear it. Yes I wear a helmet, as I have been hit by a car before, and the helmet probably saved my life - or at least serious injury.

Here in Kansas, the law states that bicycles are to ride as far to the right of the lane as practiceable unless the roadway is too narrow for a car and bike to safely operate side by side, so a rider here would be perfectly within their right (and advised) to ride down the center of the narrow lane to prevent the unsafe squeezing situation you describe. Check the Maryland statutes to see if similar guidance exists.

From a practical standpoint, my advice kinda depends upon the length of the narrow roadway, the prevalent traffic conditions on that stretch, and whether there is an alternate route. I wouldn't mind taking up the lane for a short stretch, but trying to slow 50mph traffic down to 20mph for several minutes is likely to be problematic as well. In that case I would look hard for an alternate route. Bottomline is that the motorists are likely to take risks on your behalf if it becomes too much of an inconvenience for them to wait, even if you are legally in the right.

frenchyge said:
Here in Kansas, the law states that bicycles are to ride as far to the right of the lane as practiceable unless the roadway is too narrow for a car and bike to safely operate side by side, so a rider here would be perfectly within their right (and advised) to ride down the center of the narrow lane to prevent the unsafe squeezing situation you describe. Check the Maryland statutes to see if similar guidance exists.

From a practical standpoint, my advice kinda depends upon the length of the narrow roadway, the prevalent traffic conditions on that stretch, and whether there is an alternate route. I wouldn't mind taking up the lane for a short stretch, but trying to slow 50mph traffic down to 20mph for several minutes is likely to be problematic as well. In that case I would look hard for an alternate route. Bottomline is that the motorists are likely to take risks on your behalf if it becomes too much of an inconvenience for them to wait, even if you are legally in the right.

Thanks. I must ride this stretch, as there is no alternate. Probably just try to shift to the center turn lane - especially since there are no car turns to be made for the stretch I ride. This road is 40mph, but people go 60-70.

Mcwop said:
Thanks. I must ride this stretch, as there is no alternate. Probably just try to shift to the center turn lane - especially since there are no car turns to be made for the stretch I ride. This road is 40mph, but people go 60-70.

Don't ride in the center turn lane. Not only is that likely not legal, but it is also a place where cars don't expect to see bikes.

alienator said:
Don't ride in the center turn lane. Not only is that likely not legal, but it is also a place where cars don't expect to see bikes.

Appears to be legal, but good point on driver expectations, especially when most drivers are messing with their cellphones, and have trouble just staying in their lane.

According to Maryland Bicycle Laws and Regulations,cyclists must:
  • Ride in the same direction as motor vehicles, as near to the right side of the roadway as possible
  • Obey all traffic signs, signals and other traffic devises
Given that, I'll bet riding in the center turn lane would be considered improper lane usage, at least. I'll bet there also a statement in the driver's code about the turn lane being for turns only, not being for use as a regular lane of traffic.

Mcwop said:

Agree with *not* riding in the center turn lane, but now I'm confused. If there's a full turn lane with no turning cars, then why would it be necessary to squeeze a bike off the road while passing? Wouldn't the turn lane double as a passing lane ('nuther great reason not to be there on a bike)? :confused:

The league recommends to ride in the lane as to make the car coming from behind you will have to go into the left hand lane to pass you. The league recommends this same technique if there is a lane in each direction but the lanes are not wide enough for a car and a bicycle.
The theory is that the car coming from behind will have too look( at left lane) and make sure it is safe to pass you on the bicycle.
Every state has a law that wants cyclists to ride to the right side of the lane. It also states as safe as possible.
A car has the right to pass a cyclist as a cyclist is seen as an obstruction ( likened to that of a postal truck/jeep delivering mail ).

Crazymike said:
The league recommends to ride in the lane as to make the car coming from behind you will have to go into the left hand lane to pass you. The league recommends this same technique if there is a lane in each direction but the lanes are not wide enough for a car and a bicycle.
The theory is that the car coming from behind will have too look( at left lane) and make sure it is safe to pass you on the bicycle.
Every state has a law that wants cyclists to ride to the right side of the lane. It also states as safe as possible.
A car has the right to pass a cyclist as a cyclist is seen as an obstruction ( likened to that of a postal truck/jeep delivering mail ).

It is a 4 lane road, with a center turn lane. Here is a link to the Google Street-view of the road in question:

Street View

Basically the right lane is narrow, but a car could move to the next lane to pass, but this particular car tried to just cram himself between me and the cars on the next lane, going 60MPH in a 40. So he essentially forced me to the curb, and swerved into the next lane.

That looks like a pretty quick stretch of road and potentially dangerous during times of high traffic volume.

I ride on a few roads similar to this on the way to work and I just grit my teeth, hang in there, and get through it as fast as I can.

If it continues on like that for a long time you might consider hopping up onto the sidewalk (though I would never legally recommend it ;)) ... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

We needs laws to help educate people and provide boundaries but the bottom line, laws will not protect you from an agressive driver.

Mojo Johnson said:
That looks like a pretty quick stretch of road and potentially dangerous during times of high traffic volume.

I ride on a few roads similar to this on the way to work and I just grit my teeth, hang in there, and get through it as fast as I can.

If it continues on like that for a long time you might consider hopping up onto the sidewalk (though I would never legally recommend it ;)) ... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sidewalk "could" be legal (it is in Indianapolis where I am). And while slower is likely the safer alternative if is legal.

Mcwop said:
Basically the right lane is narrow, but a car could move to the next lane to pass, but this particular car tried to just cram himself between me and the cars on the next lane, going 60MPH in a 40. So he essentially forced me to the curb, and swerved into the next lane.

Both lanes look rather narrow, and I see a nice, big storm drain opening against the curb in that spot, for good measure. :(

In that spot I would probably move further out into the lane to let drivers know that it's not safe to attempt to go 3-wide in those 2 lanes. Wear bright clothing, though, so they see you far enough ahead to merge over rather than having to slam the brakes behind you. Your biggest problem is probably not the first car on that outside lane, but the one right behind it with limited visibility until the first car moves over just in time to miss you. Looks like a perfect spot for commuters to drive too fast for any unexpected conditions.

After a couple close calls, the sidewalk might look a bit more attractive to me. Good on you for riding. :cool:

I checked here and the policy is, the bike has the same rights to the road as a car.
On a three lane, the bike should stay to the right, on a four or five the bike owns
the lane it is in, ride down the center.

Do not ride in the center lane, period. It is for left turns only, not for merging into
traffic.

It is legal to ride on the side walks, but the pedestrians have the right of way, Pull over
and allow them to pass.

From dusk to dawn, head lights and tail lights are required.

If there is a stretch of road where they speed at the rate you reported, you need
to contact the city or county people to patrol it more often.

BTW, we live in a very bike friendly city.

gordonharris912 said:
Claim the road when you need to, then give it back when you can, but don't let a speeding car squeeze you into putty.

That sums thinks up well.

I'm with Gordon. Claim the lane. Don't negotiate, just take what you're entitled to for your own safety.