Need some advice on saddle pain when riding

Typetwelve

Jun 30, 2012
Ill try to make it short but after nearly 15 years "off" I'm getting back into street riding (currently 35). I have a Specialized Crossroads and started riding 5-10 miles trips. Last week, I acquired a beautiful 2009 Specialized Roubaix comp from my brother in law on loan. The bike is barely used, he bought it new but decided street riding wasn't for him. He's letting me ride it for the season to see if it is for me. At the end of the season I will either buy his or buy a new one. The frame is the correct size for me (56) and I've positioned the seat to what fits me (used to ride competitively, not new to riding). The seat is a specialized toupe gel. My problem is my "saddle soreness". Being 6 foot flat, this time last year I was 265 lbs, after diet and exercise I am now down to 180. In short, I have no rear end padding. I did buy a pair of riding shorts (pearl Izumi elite) but they don't seem to be helping much. After a 12 mile ride last Sunday and 16 today I'm so sore it hurts to sit. My issue is that it is not the "meat" that's sore, it's my bones. For lack of better terms, it's where my thigh bones join my hips. The area under my butt cheeks in the meat of my crotch. It's darn near unbearable when riding and completely pulled the rug out from under me today. My legs and body would be good for 40+ miles but simply put, my butt can't take it. I went through the standard and predictable saddle sore stage when I started riding my comfort bike and that went away rather quickly...this however feels entirely different...like I've bruised my bones. Having raced BMX in the 80's and mountain in the 90's this is first real time doing endurance road biking. My question is, is this normal? Do I need another seat? Will this go away with time? I've never expirenced this kind of pain riding and it's becoming discouraging. Any help/advice would be outstanding.

Sorry to hear you're getting this type of pain, I can relate a little to it but it sounds like more pain than just "settling in" to a new saddle or it having been some time since you last rode.

When I resume riding about 4 years ago, I went out and did 30-40 miles, then went out for a ride the next day and I was sore in the same place as you - rather it was tender and felt bruised where my crotch generally makes contact with the saddle. However this pain went away after a couple of miles and I there after I didn't get it at all. It seems my backside gets used to the sadlle quite quickly.

I also wasn't so comfortable on my previous saddle which was too wide, since I moved to the Italia Flite Gel Flow I am much more comfortable.

In short, I suggest trying another saddle, one that is not as wide and where it is supporting you on your "sit bones", and not in the meat of your crotch. Again, my Flite Gel Flow saddle helps here as it has a cut away portion in the middle of the saddle.

Sometimes very minor adjustments to the tilt can improve things but sometimes not. I've had a lot of saddles, possibly spent thousands on them alone over the last 30 years. A while back I picked up a lovely Tarmac with world champion stripes on the trim. A month later I spotted a Toupe in my LBS with the same world champion trim and thought it would make a nice match. Long story short, I was able to do three laps in my local park before hobbling home in pain. Hands down the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever used, and believe me, my ass is well broken in. A friend however has been riding on 'em for years and loves them. I am now riding a Specialized Romin with some success, but some say the nose is a bit to wide for them - see where I am gong with this. You may just need another saddle.

Some folks talk about getting used to saddles - I am one to disagree. Assuming it's setup right, IMO the thing should feel right as rain from the very first ride.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Some folks talk about getting used to saddles - I am one to disagree. Assuming it's setup right, IMO the thing should feel right as rain from the very first ride.
+1

Think of a saddle like a pair of shoes
1. Some brands of shoes will fit your feet better than other brands. Some shoes are just made the wrong shape for your feet. Some saddles are made the wrong shape for your butt.

2. A shoe may feel a "little" uncomfortable to begin with, but anything other than subtle break in is not going to change how it feels. Same with a saddle - it should feel right when you sit on it and after some miles. Even my saddle starts to feel a little hard after 40 or so miles, but then that's more mild discomfort rather than any real pain.