Need some advise on wheel replacement.

Steve 378

Jan 2, 2012
[SIZE= 9px]Hello, I am new to this forum and just searching for some advise on replacing a rear wheel . I was in Indiana doing a ride in October and hit my rear wheel on a curb which in turn threw the heel of my shoes into the rear wheel , tearing out a few spokes but bending my rim pretty badly . I took it to True Wheels in Indy and he kept my bike for 6 weeks looking for spokes ect. I finally got my bike back just in time for heading south to Florida . After my first ride my wheel warped again and now I am searching for a replacement . The wheels on my Specialized Allez are WH-R540 which I found out are not being made anymore . I have searched extensively on the Internet and can not find them anywhere . Does anyone know a comparable wheelset that I can purchase to replace my wheel ? Thanks for the help.[/SIZE]

Any standard wheel will work. More spokes will help.

I would look for a 32 spoke wheel.

Mavic Open Pro rims and Shimano 105 hubs should be sufficient.

I have the same wheels on my CAAD 9. Hopefully I never run into your situation because I really like them. I have some Mavic Ksyrium Equipes that I got from Nashbar that are quite similar and have 2 more spokes on each wheel. The rims are a little more durable than the Shimano's and the weight penalty is not that bad. These wheels run around 200 for a pair on sale. I put a little over 4000 miles on these wheels this year and they are still running true.

Thanks Old Guy , I was just unsure about the interchangability of wheels . So I guess any 700 wheelset will work ?
Thanks for the response , I will look into the ones you suggested.

Thanks for the reply , had over 11000 on the wheels and never gave it another thought until I bent one>

Originally Posted by Steve 378 .

Thanks for the reply , had over 11000 on the wheels and never gave it another thought until I bent one>
If you want to match the front, you could just buy the appropriate rim and have a wheel builder build the wheel for you. eBay has at least one WH-R540 rim for sale.