need some good advice on deep v carbon wheelsets

partsdan

Feb 11, 2005
im in the market for a set of carbon deep v sew-ups for racing crits, and circuits (possibly time trials down the road)im a big guy so i need all the aero help i can get, plus i like the stiffer ride of the deep section wheels ive tested. ive been looking looking at zipp 404 clydesdales and a set of reynolds stratus'. i was looking at bontrager's carbon aero lites, but im about 245 and only having 16 spokes on the rear kinda makes me uneasy so ive ruled them out. i test rode the reynolds a few times and really liked them, but im not sure if the zipp's are better for the flat couses we run in florida where aero is definetly more important than weight. there may not even be a noticeable difference between the two profiles (46mm versus 58mm) the weights are very close so im relying on the input i get here to make the decision. my friend was a rep for reynolds a few years back and they told him there wasn't a weight limit for those wheels which i liked. i have heard nothing negative about the reynolds, but ive heard that zipp had some problems with their hubs a few years back. any ideas or experiences with these or any other wheelsets is greatly appreciated.