Need some guidance for my son

bgoodwin

Jun 14, 2011
My son is 15 y/o and just started road biking a few weeks ago. Seems he has taken to it like the proverbial fish to water. He rides a minimum of 25 miles per day, yesterday he did 34 at an average speed of 24mph, said he wasn't even tired and could have did more. Mind you, we are in a part of Alabama that is all hills... plus its been in the mid/upper 90s for a few weeks. May not be much for some folks, but I was impressed. What is my next step as a dad who wants to encourage? Sent via Android, UKB 2.0, -100 UV

Check to see if there are any local weekly or biweekly group rides that he can go on. This will give him the oppurtunity to meet others in the area with the same interest. He will also learn how to ride along in a group of riders which will be important if he takes it to the level of racing. He will also be meeting others who are or have raced in the past and they can help guide him through the process.
Contact a LBS (local bike shop) in your area to see if they have rides going out from there. If not they surely will know who to contact to find them. You do not need to purchase a bike from a LBS to go along on the rides.

Thanks davereo, the closest LBS is mostly a lawnmower shop, prolly have to travel a bit to get more info. He has been racing dirtbikes for a couple of years, and I'm pretty sure he would really enjoy bike racing. Sent via Android, UKB 2.0, -100 UV