Need some help - brake/shifter combo replacement

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me out with an upgrading question.

I ride a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper comp. (hardtale, cause there is nothing better!). I'm hoping to upgrade my brakes from my current Shimano linear pull brakes to AVID Single Digit Ti V brakes, but I'm at a cross-roads. I'd also like to add Avid Speed Dial performance SD Ti levers, but I have the Shimano Deore levers that are integraded with the shifters (Mega 9 drivetrain and the stupid bolt from the lever that has its own groove in the shifter).

Will I need to replace my shifters when I replace those brake levers, will my current brake levers work with my new brakes, or is it just a bad idea all around??

Any advice anyone has would be great.

Thanks

bikingmat81 said:
I'm hoping to upgrade my brakes from my current Shimano linear pull brakes to AVID Single Digit Ti V brakes, ...
Will I need to replace my shifters when I replace those brake levers, will my current brake levers work with my new brakes,

Generally speaking all v-brakes are very similar in the most important aspects of their geometry, so brake levers that works with one set of v's should work with another. Not even using levers meant for canti's together with v's isn't as hopeless as many seems to think. If you're feeling doubtful, then measure the distance between the brake lever pivot point and where the wire attaches. If this is more that 28 mm then the levers will work with v-brakes.