Need some help on picking my first road bike...

texmex

Jul 28, 2005
Hey y'all! I really want to get back into cycling (I used to do it...kind of. The bike I had was crappy:p ) but I'm not sure what bike I should get. I have decided I want to get a road bike and I want it to be a good one, but I'm a poor college student so I don't have the money for the best bike out there. I want it to be a bike that will be easy to start out with, but one that will also last me a good amount of time as I improve (That is why I have ruled out a hybrid). I did recently get a job at a bike shop, so I will be able to get some sweet discounts, but I still am looking for an inexpensive, but GOOD bike. hah, this is all kind of scattered, so I apologize if this isn't clear.

texmex said:
Hey y'all! I really want to get back into cycling (I used to do it...kind of. The bike I had was crappy:p ) but I'm not sure what bike I should get. I have decided I want to get a road bike and I want it to be a good one, but I'm a poor college student so I don't have the money for the best bike out there. I want it to be a bike that will be easy to start out with, but one that will also last me a good amount of time as I improve (That is why I have ruled out a hybrid). I did recently get a job at a bike shop, so I will be able to get some sweet discounts, but I still am looking for an inexpensive, but GOOD bike. hah, this is all kind of scattered, so I apologize if this isn't clear.
What is inexpensive to you? $300? $500?

texmex said:
I am hoping to spend no more than $500 on the bike. $700 at most..
Giant OCR3 ~ $750.00
Specialized Allez (double and triple) ~ $800.00
Trek Pilot 1.2 ~ $770.00

Do a search on ebay. You will get at least twice the bike for the money, even after paying for shipping. Plus, if you do a search with say 50 miles of where you live, you should be able to identify several locally available bikes, test ride each of them (send e-mail to seller) and choose the one that fits you best. Offer the seller $50 over tier reserve price; they'll probably sell it to you on the spot. Plus, no shipping charge (and presumably no fraud) if you purchase locally.

texmex said:
I am hoping to spend no more than $500 on the bike. $700 at most..

Lots of great bikes for $700 if you look a little. Do you know what size you need?

Mish said:
Lots of great bikes for $700 if you look a little. Do you know what size you need?

check out the bianchi via nirone.. I picked mine up for $800 and just looked and felt better than the allez or the OCR IMO

texmex said:

How about this one?

A good idea would be to cruise some of the bike manufacturure's websites and check out some of the bikes...then if you see some you like that are in your price range, check out roadbikereview.com to see what others have thought about them.

I would suggest taking a look at the Trek 1.2 (the new Trek 1000). My first "real" road bike was a Trek 1000 and I loved it. I rode the bike for a little over a year but soon upgraded as it wasn't the best bike for everyday training and beginning racing, but I still use the bike whenever I have my other bike in the shop or when the weather is not too nice.

Good luck in finding your new bike!:cool:

weak marketing/advertising methodology dude.

Why don't you sell Sidi cycling shoes .... does it have have Made in China, Viatnam, Korea stamped after the country of origion ?