Need some help pls ! Where can I buy a quality carbon road bike wheels and at a good price?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Francisco2012, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Francisco2012

Francisco2012 New Member

[SIZE=9.0pt]Hey guys[/SIZE][FONT=宋体][SIZE=9.0pt]![/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 9pt]This is Francisco[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt], an ameteur cyclist, from Australia. I like staying with my bike at most of my free time. Riding a bike really makes me happy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]But my wheels were just cracked last week, I think I need to get a new one.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 9pt]In the past few days, I have been looking for a good quality wheels, price should be economical to me. I spent some time to search on alibaba web, there are too many sellers there. I was a bit nervous and did not know which one will cate for my needs.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9.0pt]Hey guys[/SIZE][FONT=宋体][SIZE=9.0pt]![/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=9.0pt]I just do not want regret after I get a wheelset, so I need to get some ideas from you guys and make decision after that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]Much appreciate for your idea![/SIZE]

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What do you consider "economical?"

3. Francisco2012

Francisco2012 New Member

My budget is 300 usd

4. alienator

I can't think of a single carbon fiber wheel set in your budget range that I'd risk using. I wouldn't bet my safety on a $300 CF wheel set.

5. Francisco2012

Francisco2012 New Member

How much do you think a reasonable price to buy a good quality wheels

6. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

Next to your frame, your wheels are the next most important component for your bike.
    So it’s important to pick the right wheels. A good blend of price, weight and durability is what you’re looking for.

7. TallKYcyclist

TallKYcyclist New Member

Have you checked into having some wheels built for you from your local bike shop. What you need in a wheel is depending on how much you weigh, types of roads and climbs, and what you want to: save money, go fast, climb fast or comfortable ride. There is not one wheel fits all. I have found different wheels do different things. Start with your LBS and get their input. Price will be your biggest factor. Most good wheels in the US run between $1000-$1500, and go up from there.

Good luck

8. TallKYcyclist

TallKYcyclist New Member

I have some Fulcrum 5 racing wheels, which are not carbon, but retail around $400 US. Try Ebay for some good deals, but be aware, they are most likely used wheels.

9. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

Why did your wheels crack? What do you use them for?

Shimano hubs, Mavic OpenPro rims. Good wheels for your budget.

10. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

but carbon wheels are more aerodynamic and since they are tubular people tend to say they ride better.

11. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

but carbon wheels are more aerodynamic and since they are tubular people tend to say they ride better.

12. Francisco2012

Francisco2012 New Member

But i hear carbon wheels are more aerodynamic and since they are tubular people tend to say they ride better, my old wheels are not carbon, I want to do something different

13. alienator

If you want a good, safe CF wheel, then you're going to have to ante up more than $300. Much more. And it's only aero CF wheels that tend to be more aero than others. There are more than a few shallow, CF wheels that are not aero at all.

14. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

$300 can not buy a good, safe carbon wheels, should be 500USD-600USD, We have 10 years experience in producing bike wheels, all of our products are produced as international quality standards.

15. alienator

If I were in the market for a CF wheel, I'd put my money into a set from a company that:
    1. Has done the proper research and makes that research public (like Zipp, Enve, Hed......)
    2. That specifically explains why their rims are designed the way they are
    3. That has done specific work to address excess heat generated in braking (especially if I'm in the market for a CF clincher)
    4. That has a robust customer service program
    5. That has a public presence and is easy to contact
    . For me, that would be the bare minimum.

16. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

but high cosr performance is important too, if you can use $500 to buy a product most perfect for you, that match something must cost $1500, why don't you buy it. Yishunbike‘s products are most production in Taiwan, as international quality standards, because of China's low levels of consumption, so our price is lower than other country

17. alienator

Right. Tell me how your product even comes close to matching Zipp and Enve's latest evolution of wheels, particularly carbon fiber clinchers. Tell us what work you have done to best manage excessive heat from braking. Tell us about all of the aerodynamic analysis you have done. Being made of carbon fiber doesn't make a wheel worth owning. I'll spend my money with companies that have done hard and extensive work to make their products safe, durable, and have the highest performance possible. So far the record of generic carbon fiber wheels is absolutely not clear at all. I notice that you keep mentioning "international quality standards." Well, that's just marketing BS because you have neither identified which specific standards you're talking about nor have you quantified or specified in any way how your products meet or exceed those standards. Here's a link to an explanation of what "BS" means.

18. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

I've had a set of your carbon clinchers in 88mm depth and they never self-immolated - from my enormous power input (/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif) or otherwise. Great performing wheels while I had them, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set. No issues regarding build quality or durability. Awesome value for any racer/enthusiast that isn't sponsored.

Agree fully with the reasoning behind spending a fraction of the cost of Zipp, Fast Forward, Enve, Lightweight, Reynolds, Easton, etc. Why would I want to underwrite those companies' cost of marketing, r & d, high salaries, fixed costs, costs to sponsor bike clubs other than my own, etc? If a $400-500 product can give me 85-95% of the performance of one of those name brands during my races, you damn well better believe where my smart money is going. And for those out there that don't race, want to slap down the credit card and enjoy posing on these name brand wheels - well, okay - it's your money, not mine...

19. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

yes, of course we have! Otherwise , how can we attracts customers and keeps them coming back!

20. alienator

No, why don't you actually lay it out? After all, you're only making claims with absolutely nothing to back them up.