Need some help with a training program for a long ride next year!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ribivi, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ribivi

ribivi New Member

OK, here is the deal, my wife's uncle and I have rode together for 70-75 miles several times in the last few years. When I got back into cycling, I weighed in on the scales at a whopping 480 pounds. ( started on a steel Mountain bike in order to hold my weight) a 2004 Haro R3 Full suspension. October 2011, From October 2011 to February 2012, I dropped enough weight to get yet another steel frame road bike. still at this point was over 380. From that point my goal was to lose enough weight to be on a carbon bike by the end of the year. Bought a 2013 Giant TCR on December 6, 2012, All of this being said, I am still riding, and love it! down to right around 300lbs.

Now here is my question to all of those people out there that are smarter with cycling training. Yes I am a large Clydesdale roadie, I may be the biggest one riding in a group, but most of the time I will not be the slowest. averaging around 15-16MPH for anywhere between 25-50 mile rides. A little more of my story, my wife's uncle, who owns a Christian music entertainment group, has mentioned to me since I have been riding, that he has connections in Nascar, and can most likely make arrangements for this ride he wants to do. So it was mentioned again today, at a family gathering, so I finally called his bluff and said lets do it. Next October 2015, we are going to drive (in a car or van) our bicycles to Martinsville Va,do 1 lap around the track, and then proceed out on the road, on our long trip to Daytona Speedway on our cycles. This will be a total of right around 700 miles. we are wanting to do this in 5-6 days, looking at roughly 100-125 miles a day.

Any ideas of how we can train for this ride? I know a few cycling coaches, but don't really want to have to pay 50-75 bucks a month for someone to help me do something, that other cyclists can do and can help me with.

He does not ride as much as I do, he is however a runner, and has great cardio. So any help you guys out there can give for the both of us will be much appreciated.

Tags:

2. JibberJim

JibberJim Member

Lots of people go from very little, to 125 mile a day for that sort of tour in the time you have, so you shouldn't have much of a problem at all I'd've said.

You've already got a lot of experience and have done great with the weight loss and fitness gains, so they should continue well. Are you in a place where you can easily ride through the winter? If not then a turbo will do great things for you, being able to hold bike fitness through the winter is a big difference.

You don't say how much time to train you have, how hilly or otherwise the route is, if you're going to be self supported carrying all the stuff, or if the car can do that. But a basic normal policy where you spend the rest of this year and the start of next getting fast - very regular shorter harder rides building up the speed you can go for those 50 miles. Then build the distances you can go, don't go crazy with super long days in the saddle, you won't need it - but try a good rehearsal tour/repeated days a month or more out where you do 3 long rides on successive days just to know.

3. ribivi

ribivi New Member

Jim, thanks for the info, we both live in the High Point NC area, as far as my training I work a very weird schedule, 12 hour shifts, work 5 days, off 2, work 2 off 5. So the 5 day stretch off is great for training. Winter riding here in NC is decent, not really cold, but have winter riding clothes.