need some info on this Peugeot

VPR

Jul 18, 2007
Hello friends

picked up this Peugeot PS28 at a garage sale for 50$

its serial number is 8EO8256

its got Shimano 105 components, Rigida rims, Sachs chain, the frame is made in Canada

on the frame it says, "collection series, triathlon design"

perhaps some of you can give me more info on it, for example the year of manufacture

I don't know Peugeot's, but look for date codes on the components, then go to Vintage-trek.com and date it based on the date codes.

My guess would be 1989-1991. based on the brakes looking like they are just pre-dual pivots... I think that is when they first came out.

Also, if you wander over to bikdforums.net in the classic & vintage section there are some Peugeot nuts that could probably help. There are also some other vintage sites that can be helpful, but I don't know them off hand, there is a sticky thread at BFN that can help your search too.

I would guess maybe 87-90 based on the biopace chainrings. I would suggest adjusting the handlebars so that the bottom points toward the rear wheel axle (i.e., slightly downwards instead of upwards). Nice find for $50 if you don't have to do much repairs.

I can't extol the virtues of the bike you picked up enough. About 15 years ago I picked up one of these (used) when I was getting into cycling and it's still going strong. Absolutely bombproof.

Information I have about the bike:
It was made in Quebec under license back by ProCycle (who also make Miele bikes) in the early 90s. As I understand it, Peugeots from that time in Canada were made either with "Carbolite" frames or Japanese Ishiwata tubing. I don't know that much about the former, except to say that it's considered by many to be quite inferior to the Ishiwata tubing, which I've seen compared to Reynolds 531. Does yours have a sticker with "4130" on it? I believe that is the ratio of metals that form the frame alloy.

From A rec.bicycles.tech posting by Andrew Muzi:
-----------------------
I am intimately familiar with the Ishiwata and their products, having been into the factory A few times, spec'd many bikes with their steel and built with it. I quietly use Ishiwata tube for frame repair.

The material [022] is virtually identical tons of Columbus SP/SL/SLX. The top rank OF of tubes were seamles double butted and the finish quality [as delivered ton the builder] which much more higher than Columbus. The tubing gauge OF the 022 is 0.9/0.6mm, exatcly the same as Columbus frame It's called “022” because the frame tube set weighs 2,2 Kilos. The same material drawn thinner tons of 0.8/0.5mm is called “019” because it weighs 1,9 Kilos, just like Columbus SL. Many of builders, then and now, mix gauges so A small frame might all 019 but A 56 would have 022 chainstays and down tube for example.

Trek into the late '70s built three racing frames, one with Ishiwata, one Reynolds 531 and one Columbus. Geometry and weight were identical. The prices were unreasonably different because OF the cachet OF Italian tubing, making the Ishiwata frame the best VALUE. Marketing took over more later as the Ishiwata which dropped completely. With the advent OF aluminum, the currency crash and the Japanese depression, Ishiwata closed the doors into the early '90s.
-----------------
Many of my components, such as the Maillard hubs and rims are still going strong. I switched out the derailleur a couple years back with an Ultegra equivalent, but with some maintenence this bike should last you decades. Best of all, the frame allows 30 mm tires, which are great for commuting, and has braze-ons for racks.

Ian