Need some information concerning Sram S975 cranks and bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by earthman309, Nov 8, 2010.

1. earthman309

earthman309 New Member

We have a couple of questions that I hope one of you Sram experts may be able to answer.
    In doing a fall tear down on my wife's Trek Speed Concept awe pulled the Sram S975 cranks (Quarq power meter) have found the wave washer inboard of the drive side seal as apposed to outside as the manual's diagram shows. Was this incorrectly installed?
    I was also surprised to see that the wave washer is split and not a continuous loop. Is this the norm?

Not too many shops in our area are up to speed on these so we're looking to you folks for help.

Thanks for any informed replies,

Hugh

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

I don't know about you but I'd be more trusting of the manual than how I find it. Unfortunately the existence of a manual does not automatically mean that whomever assembled the bike has read it.

Regarding types of washers, I think you're getting confused between wave washers and split washers.
    Split washers are split at one point and helical in shape. They are designed to go under nuts and bolts to prevent them from loosening.
    Wave washers are not split and are designed to maintain the location of a part (such as a bearing or a seal).
    In general they cannot be used interchangeably.

3. earthman309

earthman309 New Member

4. tafi

tafi Member

My bad. For some reason I got it arse about.

A picture would tell a thousand words, but if it looks broken then it probably is. I can't imagine why a wave washer would be split.

5. jackson123

jackson123 New Member

I cannot understand that neither.