Need some of your great wisdom....

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by gman0482, Sep 11, 2009.

1. gman0482

gman0482 Member

As some of you might know, I just got into cycling this season, but I know now that I simply love it and will ride for as long as I can move my legs and stay healthy :). With that said, I am looking to train very hard during this off-season, so I need some input on any special, custom and/or most beneficiary tech's (besides the typical gym/cardio workouts @ the gym)

Thank You all very much,
    -Greg

Tags:

2. EuroG

EuroG New Member

Find for hire or through the internet a detailed training plan for your off season training. Being new to the sport your perodization of fitness will progress quickly following a plan.

Nab a trainer for your bike or better yet a stationary bike with a free wheel and ride ride ride. Otherwise cycling specific work to improve power (squats squats leg press squats squats :D ) always help too.

Basically make a plan. For the week, month and year. Focus on your weaknesses and what you can improve upon. But HAVE A PLAN! Nutrition, strength, training, racing should all be laid out for the year with obvious tweaking here and there.

Take a boo online, you'll be susprised what you may find. How much time can you train a week?

-G

3. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

A good indoor trainer along the lines of a kurt kinetic (and a big fan for keeping you cool), a good plan and maybe consider a power meter at some stage to keep you focussed and make the hours you ride really productive and objectively track progress and monitor workload.

Depends on your budget.

Forget the squats/weights. Ride a bike to get better at riding a bike.

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I agree with having a plan, but that's hard without having goals to plan towards. What are your cycling goals?

If you simply enjoy riding for health and want to continue doing it then there's really no need to train very hard over the off-season.

5. fergie

fergie Member

Goals are important.

Being new it should be something as simple as getting X amount of days riding during the winter.

Think a powermeter would be overkill at present.

Depending on what your winter is like I would look at getting a good set up for indoor training. Good wind trainer or spin bike, fan, and some DVDs. Some good Euro Racing, music videos or even some indoor cycling DVDs. I quite liked some of the Spinerval sessions for a bit of variety.

Again being new I wouldn't discourage a weekly gym session although for cycling I think one can get adequate general strength from Yoga or Pilates.

6. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Thanks to all,

Without writing a huge essay on what my intentions and hopes are (and they are big :)) I know for sure that this is the greatest sport/hobby/whatever that I've ever done. I just can't get enough of riding.

After just getting a new bike (09 FeltZ45) I really want to get better and stronger at everything I can do in cycling. My big and "far far away" dream is to someday be able to compete in some races. How big of races, only time will tell, but for now because the season is almost over :(, I plan to do everything in my power to be as good as I can be for next season. Having a plan sounds great and exactly where I should start, only I'm still trying to figure out what that plan should look like.

I am 6'4" (195.07cm) tall, and weight 175 lbs. (80 kg) if that makes any difference.

Thank You All very much for any of your knowledge,
    -Greg

7. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

8. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Thanks, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

I guess most of you would know 150% more than I, what is possible to achieve in my 1st off-season and how far I could progress. I'm mostly looking to be able to maintain a better endurance and speed, and I know that weight lifting is irrelavant in cycling, but for someone like me who never exercised or trained my legs before (ever) anything will imrpove me (even a simple squat or leg press, I think).

For now all I will do is go to my gym and get on the bikes (when the weather turns)

-Greg

9. Piotr

Piotr New Member

Get a Kurt Kinetic trainer and their cyclo-computer that approximates power output based on speed (indoors only). That way you can utilize a power training plan indoors without getting a real PM.

Stationary Indoor Bike Trainer - Kinetic by Kurt

You may be able to find one cheaper elsewhere. 3 years ago I got mine for $10 @ amazon.com by getting their card and an instant $30 rebate (they cost $40 then).

10. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Greg,

I can't offer anything better than the smart folks on the forum can about off season training....but, would you mind if I add some questions?

I don't want to hijack your thread...

:)

11. gman0482

gman0482 Member

By all means Paramount please DO, you can only help me out with some of your Q's.

Thanks,
    -Greg

12. fergie

fergie Member

Does someone in their first year of riding need to own a powermeter or train to power?

Just ride the bike, rent some cycling DVDs, read some books, and if you are shaving your legs come summer then it means your hooked and will have plenty of rides in your area to accomplish, fun rides and then if real keen maybe some racing. Then you may want to look at some of the cool gadgets that monitor your progress. I would learn to ride the bike develop a love of going hard before I started worrying about FTP, TSS and TSB:)

13. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Got it. That's kinda what I figured, that in my 1st year I wouldn't need to get too technical and just try to learn the basics. I did go to the book store and checked out some books (still deciding which ones to get without buying the whole shelf :D)

I also think that NOTHING in the off-season can mimic/substitute the actual ride on the road, but I hope I can find a training plan to improve for next year.

Thanks,
    -Greg

14. wiredued

wiredued New Member

That might be true and then again it might not be true this video inspired me.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvVcNxGlR0"]YouTube - Home Made free motion rollers[/ame]

15. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Indoor trainers are good for nights and bad weather days, but suggest that you get outside for aerobic cross-training whenever you get a sunny day over the winter months. Running, speed skating or XC skiing can give you a strong aerobic workout; to me these are lot's more fun than just riding the indoor trainer in a dingy garage or gym all the time.

16. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Indoor trainers are good for nights and bad weather days, but suggest that you get outside for aerobic cross-training whenever you get a sunny day over the winter months. Running, speed skating or XC skiing can give you a strong aerobic workout; to me these are lot's more fun than just riding the indoor trainer in a dingy garage or gym all the time.

17. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

18. gman0482

gman0482 Member

That is true. I snowboard at least once a week during the winter. It's not as hard working as running but it's fun for me.

19. Piotr

Piotr New Member

My thinking is, if he really wants one then he's ready for power-based training. If he's wondering if it's necessary then he probably doesn't need it yet.

Like I mentioned before, the KK computer is a cheap option to get an idea of where one stands. An even cheaper alternative is to get use the mathematical formula to calculate your power based on speed.

20. gman0482

gman0482 Member

That is great Piotrek! Thank you very much for that formula. So I figured I'm putting out around 206 watts on average. I still would like to see my power output on some kind of device/computer, so that I can have some visuals to try to beat.

Thanks,
    -Greg