Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MeesterBond, Jul 6, 2004.

1. MeesterBond

MeesterBond New Member

I'm trying to compile a shortlist of frames / bikes to try before buying a replacement for my OCR2... Whilst the Giant is an ok bike (I'll probably keep and fixie it) it's a bit heavy, the Tiagra is a bit clunky and frankly I've got the opportunity to upgrade.

I ride 3 or 4 times a week, mainly recreational, though I'd like something that could be raced without disgracing itself. So whilst speed is important, comfort is very close behind. It'll also be a bike that I'll be keeping for many years to come, so I'm looking at Ti or Steel for the repairability should I stack it.

My budget's about £2k and so far I'm considering:

De Rosa Neo Primato
    Colnago Master X-Lite
    Litespeed Tuscany
    Merlin Forttius
    Omega Alchemy

The Merlin and Litespeed are going to be tough to build for the budget, but it might be possible if I can find an end of line etc...

Does anyone have any experience with the above or can you recommend anything similar that I should look at. To be awkward, I've deliberately steered away from the more mass-brands (Cannondales, Specializeds, Treks etc), for no reason other than I fancy something a little different...

All advice welcome (except for the 'why don't you lose some weight off your waist rather than the bike' one.. I've heard that!)

Tags:

2. seriousturtle

seriousturtle New Member

hmmm...ti? good choice, but for a budget of $2k, you will definitely have a hard time finding something. the frames for merlin are awesome, but then you're stuck with suck components on it, the clunky stuff. so what'chya gonna do?

~the turtle

3. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Don't forget, friend, that's 2K GBP, not USD. The bloke's dealing with about 3,700 american dollars, which is plenty enough to put together a smashing bike.

4. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member