Need some wide fit shoes

Eastway82

Apr 12, 2006
I need some wide fit road shoes. Most shoes seem to have a fairly narrow toe box, and I really need to be able to wiggle my toes around - I've broken most of the bones in my right foot at one time or another and poor circulation means I suffer really badly from numb feet. Currently using Diadora mtb shoes (not too bad) and Carnac road shoes - numb foot in half an hour. Any recommendations as to which brands offer more room in the toe area? Ideally without spending an absolute fortune...

Eastway82 said:
I need some wide fit road shoes. Most shoes seem to have a fairly narrow toe box, and I really need to be able to wiggle my toes around - I've broken most of the bones in my right foot at one time or another and poor circulation means I suffer really badly from numb feet. Currently using Diadora mtb shoes (not too bad) and Carnac road shoes - numb foot in half an hour. Any recommendations as to which brands offer more room in the toe area? Ideally without spending an absolute fortune...
I use Shimano R151 as it has a wide toe box.

All the Shimano's I have tried were too narrow for me. I found that the Northwave and Forte (Performance's house brand) shoes run much wider than Shimano, but not as wide as the Sidi Mega. I tried on about a dozen different shoes immediately after a 38 mile ride. That way, my feet would tell me right away which shoes felt good. I ended up with the Forte CM310 mountain bike shoe http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22226&subcategory_ID=2120 and have put more than a thousand miles on them, including back-to-back 75 mile rides, without any discomfort. The Forte CR310 road shoe is the same upper with a lighter, road-style sole.

Thanks Guys - the Sidi megas sound good. Not sure my LBS will appreciate me turning up all sweaty and trying on all their shoes, but I'll give it a go!

Eastway82 said:
Thanks Guys - the Sidi megas sound good. Not sure my LBS will appreciate me turning up all sweaty and trying on all their shoes, but I'll give it a go!
Just change your socks, and it will not be a problem:cool: .

Have you tried Pearl Izumi's? They have a comfortable toe box. :rolleyes:

Eastway82 said:

I've found the Specialized Taho has a wide mid-foot section that can accommodate my 4E-width feet. I believe Carnacs run on the wide size, too.

RickF said:
All the Shimano's I have tried were too narrow for me. I found that the Northwave and Forte (Performance's house brand) shoes run much wider than Shimano, but not as wide as the Sidi Mega. I tried on about a dozen different shoes immediately after a 38 mile ride. That way, my feet would tell me right away which shoes felt good. I ended up with the Forte CM310 mountain bike shoe http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22226&subcategory_ID=2120 and have put more than a thousand miles on them, including back-to-back 75 mile rides, without any discomfort. The Forte CR310 road shoe is the same upper with a lighter, road-style sole.
The R151's are wider in the toe box that other Shimano's