Need Sudden energy boost during race.

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
What do you guys use? I have been using Red Bull before and during races. During races, it tends to dry up my mouth very quickly. A can of coke better??? Or some specialized formulated cycling supplement???

BlueJersey said:
What do you guys use? I have been using Red Bull before and during races. During races, it tends to dry up my mouth very quickly. A can of coke better??? Or some specialized formulated cycling supplement???
Hi BJ. If you click on http://www.gssiweb.com/ Then Gatorade products and "Beverage comparison chart" There's a nice little table of all the drinks including Red Bull which has a very high sodium content. No wonder your mouth becomes dry.
I read somewhere else in these forums that Red Bull is a definite NO NO.

TYSON

Thanks.

Sillyoldtwit said:
Hi BJ. If you click on http://www.gssiweb.com/ Then Gatorade products and "Beverage comparison chart" There's a nice little table of all the drinks including Red Bull which has a very high sodium content. No wonder your mouth becomes dry.
I read somewhere else in these forums that Red Bull is a definite NO NO.

TYSON

BlueJersey said:
If you need a sudden energy boost during a race, you're not taking in enough before and during the race.

1 bottle of sports drink per hour, and if it lasts more than an hour-and-a-half, I put down a bar and a gel as well.

In a shortish race, I think gatorade is fine. But in a long, hot race I prefer to make my own mix with dextrose, salt and no-salt. I also like e-load.

If you're looking for a buzz, as well as a sugar dose then you can use caffeine tablets, or the caffeinated gels.

BlueJersey said:

make an actovegin shot :eek: