Need Suggestion for Winter Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raoul Duke

I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to order
a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would like
to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.

Thanks,

Dave

"Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the
Performance
> site last night to order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen
different
> types available.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would like
> to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
>
I've got some PI gloves that are good down to about 50º. I bought some PI lobster mittens, but these
tend to make my hands sweat a lot and aren't much good below 45º.

I bought some Lake gloves from Afred E. Bike that are perfect from 45º down to below freezing. They
come up over the forearms, and have separate glove liners. They also have a ventilation zipper just
below the knuckles to allow you to prevent overheating.

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:30:54 -0800, "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> from Posted via Supernews,
http://www.supernews.com wrote:

>I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to
>order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would like
>to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.

I use Pearl Izumi therma-fleece pittards. They're great for the mild climate here. The whole PI
line is here:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi/site/catalog/productList.aspx?iProductTypeSubID=21

I was at Richardson Bike Mart last wek and saw some interesting "smart wool" glittens. You can find
them at the heavily flashed site: http://www.smartwool.com/ . They looked really warm, and I like
the idea of being able to free your fingers.

--
real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com FEELINGS are cascading over me!!!

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:45:24 +0000, Kevan Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:30:54 -0800, "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> from Posted via Supernews,
> http://www.supernews.com wrote:
>
>>I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to
>>order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.
>>
>>Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would like
>>to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.
>
> I use Pearl Izumi therma-fleece pittards. They're great for the mild climate here. The whole PI
> line is here:

I use the same gloves, and find they are good down to about freezing. Many folks get gloves that are
too heavy, IMO, and end up with sweaty hands, which get colder. In sub-freezing weather I add a
glove liner.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're _`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly
Tomlin (_)/ (_) |

Nashbar Polar Tec mittens
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=5630&storetype=&estoreid=

they downplay them but they're as good as gloves for dexterity, and work alone in not too cold
weather. Buy big. They're on sale at $9.99, and stay warm when wet.

In really cold weather put them inside a mitten shell. Their odd sort of stiffness, a way of
nonconforming to the hand, makes it easy to get your jacket sleeve inside the cuffs of the mitten
shell, by putting it first inside the very minimal cuff of the polar tec mittens.

The same stiffness gives you dexterity because you can pinch what you want through the mitten; your
hand moves around inside it freely.

It's not paradise but does very well. Everything else gets soaked and cold in the rain.

The fit anywhere so you can always have them with you.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:30:54 -0800, "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> from Posted via Supernews,
>> >
> >Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would
> >like to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.
>
> I use Pearl Izumi therma-fleece pittards. They're great for the mild climate here.

I've had 2 pairs of the long finger therma-fleece pittards, and one pair of PI short pittard gloves.
I used to wear them under a pair of fleece gloves when it got to freezing or a little below. They're
not very warm, and like many natural leather gloves, they dry out and crack if you wash them
frequently, so aren't too long-lasting. I find conventional thinsulate gloves with synthetic palms
work better, last longer, and are much cheaper than the typical cold weather cycling gloves. I like
to wear them by themselves down to perhaps the 20's (F), layer with fleece gloves over for teens,
and with lined mitten shells instead for single digits. I don't (or haven't yet) biked below 0.

In article <frPyb.386756$Fm2.398299@attbi_s04>, [email protected] says...
> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:30:54 -0800, "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> from Posted via Supernews,
> > http://www.supernews.com wrote:
> >> >
> > >Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would
> > >like to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.
> >
> > I use Pearl Izumi therma-fleece pittards. They're great for the mild climate here.
>
> I've had 2 pairs of the long finger therma-fleece pittards, and one pair of PI short pittard
> gloves. I used to wear them under a pair of fleece gloves when it got to freezing or a little
> below. They're not very warm, and like many natural leather gloves, they dry out and crack if you
> wash them frequently, so aren't too long-lasting. I find conventional thinsulate gloves with
> synthetic palms work better, last longer, and are much cheaper than the typical cold weather
> cycling gloves. I like to wear them by themselves down to perhaps the 20's (F), layer with fleece
> gloves over for teens, and with lined mitten shells instead for single digits. I don't (or haven't
> yet) biked below 0.

You haven't really lived, then <BFG>

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

>
> I was at Richardson Bike Mart last wek and saw some interesting "smart
wool"
> glittens. You can find them at the heavily flashed site:

"Heavily flashed" is certainly accurate. Is there an award for annoying websites?

> http://www.smartwool.com/ . They looked really warm, and I like the idea
of
> being able to free your fingers.
>
If I find my glittens, I'll e-mail you and send them along. They are wool, but not SmartWool(tm).
They might work OK for you down south; they are pretty useless for biking in Chicago. The ones I
have don't have any real wind barrier; without a wind barrier the wind goes through the wool and
keeps the hands cold, even riding as slowly as I do.

> >Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would
> >like to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.

> I use Pearl Izumi therma-fleece pittards. They're great for the mild climate here. The whole PI
> line is here:

>
http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi/site/catalog/productList.aspx?iProductTypeSubID=21

I'll put in another vote for those. I have an all-black pair that I've had for several years. I use
them for biking, skiing, and just out and around. They've held up fantastically well. They're good
down to just below freezing. Below that I definately need something warmer. Fortunately it's not
that cold here very often.

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I'll put in another vote for those. I have an all-black pair that I've
had for
> several years. I use them for biking, skiing, and just out and around.
They've
> held up fantastically well. They're good down to just below freezing.
Below
> that I definately need something warmer. Fortunately it's not that cold
here
> very often.

Well, I certainly hope they work since I went ahead and ordered a pair this afternoon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm really trying this year to be a winter rider. Normally, by this
time of the year, my riding is all but finished until spring. But not this year. Riding has become
something too important to be able to give up for a few months.

Dave

I have found that one of the most important features of a glove that will keep your hands warm is
that they fit very loose. Snug fitting gloves seem to reduce circulation and hence, warmth.
Unfortunately, loose and "not too bulky" don't go together very well.

I wear polypropylene liners under polar fleece gloves. I have 2 pairs of polar fleece gloves, one
for temps down to 40 and another for temps down to
30. I really don't ride when it's much colder than that. The good thing about polar fleece is that
they allow moisture to escape. Moisture being another bane in cold weather.

By the way, I've tried several pairs of gloves with the much-hyped "thinsulate" and have been unable
to detect any additional insulating effect at all. I'm a fan of polar fleece.

Ride on, brrrrrr, Don

Performance
different
> types available.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would like
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

"Frank & Joni Knox" <[email protected]> wrote ...

> I've got some PI gloves that are good down to about 50º. I bought some PI lobster mittens, but
> these tend to make my hands sweat a lot and aren't much good below 45º.
>
> I bought some Lake gloves from Afred E. Bike that are perfect from 45º down to below freezing.
> They come up over the forearms, and have separate glove liners. They also have a ventilation
> zipper just below the knuckles to allow you to prevent overheating.

I have the PI lobster gloves and love them. I don't put them on until the temp is under 45º
(so sweat's not an issue), and they keep my hands plenty warm down to 20º. In hindsight I'd
buy the glove version instead of the lobster version - STI levers are harder to control with
only 2 fat fingers.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Michael) wrote:

> "Frank & Joni Knox" <[email protected]> wrote ...
>
> > I've got some PI gloves that are good down to about 50º. I bought some PI lobster mittens, but
> > these tend to make my hands sweat a lot and aren't much good below 45º.
> >
> > I bought some Lake gloves from Afred E. Bike that are perfect from 45º down to below freezing.
> > They come up over the forearms, and have separate glove liners. They also have a ventilation
> > zipper just below the knuckles to allow you to prevent overheating.
>
> I have the PI lobster gloves and love them. I don't put them on until the temp is under 45º (so
> sweat's not an issue), and they keep my hands plenty warm down to 20º. In hindsight I'd buy the
> glove version instead of the lobster version - STI levers are harder to control with only 2 fat
> fingers.

Have you tried the PI AM Fibs??

PI also makes a liner for about 10 bucks which helps with sweat and makes glove even warmer. ( this
mornings chill was 23degF )

--
³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

- Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

I commute so need gloves to fit a range of temps, and don't want to spend much.

Also, the only pair of cold weather cycling gloves I bought remains in the closet, they never seem
to keep my hands warm.

So what do I use? cool temps: I put a pair of polypro liner type gloves on, then an older pair of
regular cycling gloves on top. Works down to the 30's or 40's

next I put the shell of a pair of super-cheap ski gloves over that. I tore out the padding so I
could just have the nylon shell. Works great, wish I'd bought a smaller size though. You get the
windproof of the shell with the padding of familiar cycling gloves.

Then if its really cold I just bought on sale a pair of goretex/primaloft ski gloves. These kept me
plenty warm on the only really cold day so far (15 degrees). Not as much padding as cycling gloves
but they have a good textured surface that's plenty comfortable for the 7 mile commute I take.

JM

Performance
different
> types available.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

"Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to
> order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
>

It's probably too late, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I tend to take a different
tactic than many of the prefious posters, on this topic. I don't tend to spend a lot of money on
"bicycle" apparel.

For temps from about 50 down to 35, I just use silk liners. Can get them for about $7.00
(http://tinyurl.com/xj59), online. From 35, down to 0, I cover the silk liner with some
Thinsulate-type wind resistant gloves I got at W@lmart, for about $10. Works for me! I've riden down
to -10 wind chills with that, and, though my fingers start out a bit cold, after about the first 5
miles, I'm just fine. My commute is about 14 miles, each way.

HTH!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Raoul Duke <[email protected]> wrote:
> I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to
> order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.

If you're the type who won't ride a bike without "bicycle" gloves that you paid through the snoot
for at a Real Bicycle Shop, this won't be for you, but... Most grocery and discount stores have
Wells-LaMont work gloves. One model they have is a white knit with blue rubber on the palms, the
fronts of the fingers, and the entire thumb. I know a couple of people in the frozen food
business who won't wear anything else to work. I tried them on a ride, at about 35 degrees and 25
mph, and thought they worked very well. Unfortunately, the local store only carries M and L, and
I really need XL, but apart from that, I liked them a lot. And you'll like the price, too.

Bill

-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Nonspammers please remove the "z" from address above to reply. |
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the Performance sub-zero glove. Its average, and I beleive in the $45 range so probably
more than you want. They are warm in the 30's but not much below that. Since my rides can hit the
single digits (6F today) these are of little value. Decent glove, runs a bit small in size, and I
would not buy again.

Check out REI-outlet. They used to have Pearl Izumi AmFib glove (lobster claws) on sale for about
$30-$35. These are great gloves, much better than the Sub Zero's from Performance.

"Eric Babula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > I decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves so I went on the Performance site last night to
> > order a pair. Well, they have about two dozen different types available.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair in the $30 range that aren't too bulky? I would
> > like to stay reasonably comfortable down to the mid to lower 30's.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >
>
> It's probably too late, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I tend to take a different
> tactic than many of the prefious posters, on this topic. I don't tend to spend a lot of money on
> "bicycle" apparel.
>
> For temps from about 50 down to 35, I just use silk liners. Can get them for about $7.00
> (http://tinyurl.com/xj59), online. From 35, down to 0, I cover the silk liner with some
> Thinsulate-type wind resistant gloves I got at W@lmart, for about $10. Works for me! I've riden
> down to -10 wind chills with that, and, though my fingers start out a bit cold, after about the
> first 5 miles, I'm just fine. My commute is about 14 miles, each way.
>
> HTH!
>
> --
> Smile!!
>
> __O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

> For temps from about 50 down to 35, I just use silk liners. Can get them for about $7.00
> (http://tinyurl.com/xj59), online. From 35, down to 0, I cover the silk liner with some
> Thinsulate-type wind resistant gloves I got at W@lmart, for about $10. Works for me! I've riden
> down to -10 wind chills with that, and, though my fingers start out a bit cold, after about the
> first 5 miles, I'm just fine. My commute is about 14 miles, each way.
>
> HTH!

I use the silk liners with my regular bicycle gloves until it gets too cold
. But, I get the liners for $3.50 at the local Army Surplus store. You should check out that way
to buy them.

Pat in TX

[email protected] wrote:
>
> If you're the type who won't ride a bike without "bicycle" gloves that you paid through the
> snoot for at a Real Bicycle Shop, this won't be for you, but... Most grocery and discount
> stores have Wells-LaMont work gloves. One model they have is a white knit with blue rubber on
> the palms, the fronts of the fingers, and the entire thumb.

Good point. Last year I bought a pair of gloves at a TJ Maxx Store (a chain store with a variety of
clothing and other items). They had several styles of gloves at very nice prices. Since I don't
ride when it's below freezing, I got a pair of fabric (wool?) gloves with leather or leatherette
material on the palms and finger bottoms. The gloves extend well above my wrists, and the leather
type material gives me a great grip on the bars. They're perfect down to about 32F, yet breathable
enough that my hands don't get clammy. Think I paid about $8. Who cares if they aren't labelled
"cycling gloves?"

Art Harris

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I use the silk liners with my regular bicycle gloves until it gets too cold . But, I get the
> liners for $3.50 at the local Army Surplus store. You should check out that way to buy them.
>
> Pat in TX
>
>
>

I will, next time! Thanks!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.