Need suggestions for a waterproof backpack



John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
I commute to work by bicycle (and sometimes run to work) year-round here in Seattle and I carry my work clothes in a backpack (I use of a backpack rather than panniers as I want to use the same bag cycling and running so I don't have to transfer stuff bak and forth from panniers to backpack). I have a Lowe pack now that has worked fairly well for several years, but it isn't very waterproof and is getting worn out.

Any suggestions for a good waterproof backpack suitable for cycling/running?

Thanks.
 

Eden

New Member
Feb 28, 2005
1,273
0
0
How about Orlieb roller panniers with a back pack adapter - then you can have it both ways - and they are super waterproof. I see a lot of commuters around Seattle using them, both ways, on the bike and on their backs.
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
126
63
John M said:
I commute to work by bicycle (and sometimes run to work) year-round here in Seattle and I carry my work clothes in a backpack (I use of a backpack rather than panniers as I want to use the same bag cycling and running so I don't have to transfer stuff bak and forth from panniers to backpack). I have a Lowe pack now that has worked fairly well for several years, but it isn't very waterproof and is getting worn out.

Any suggestions for a good waterproof backpack suitable for cycling/running?

Thanks.
Presuming that you want a duffle smaller than a DULUTH BAG (I think they come in various sizes, BTW), check WEST MARINE, or similar sailing supplier. It might be a bit more cumbersome than you want, but you can always put a "dry" bag/sack inside your pack.
 

fish156

New Member
Mar 26, 2005
262
0
0
I commute and use a CamelBak. They make nice waterproof covers and I just throw it on when it's raining.

No direct link, so go:

http://www.camelbak.com > sports-recreation > accessories > additional parts
then, scroll over to "Rain covers" -- there are two sizes and they should fit most any backpack.

here's a good source (cheap and fast shipments):

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39151944&memberId=12500226

This is a very nice pack for commuting (I do ~30mi/day):

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=20001411&memberId=12500226
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
2
0
John M said:
Any suggestions for a good waterproof backpack suitable for cycling/running?
Buy a pack that works well for running. It's hard to find packs that truly work well for this. I like the Salomon adventure racing packs. They have water resistant zippers and fabric, but to be sure put your gear in a garbage bag. If you want to go high tech then use a dry bag instead of a garbage bag.
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
Bro Deal said:
Buy a pack that works well for running. It's hard to find packs that truly work well for this. I like the Salomon adventure racing packs. They have water resistant zippers and fabric, but to be sure put your gear in a garbage bag. If you want to go high tech then use a dry bag instead of a garbage bag.

A pack that is comfortable to run is hard to find. Most of the cycling focused ones, don't have compression straps, which are quite helpful in keeping the load from boucing around to much when running.

I already do the plastic bag within the pack act and am not a big fan of that, thus the search for a dry bag suitable for running and cycling in. Many of the messenger style packs such as by ortlieb are pretty bulky to run in.
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
Eden said:
How about Orlieb roller panniers with a back pack adapter - then you can have it both ways - and they are super waterproof. I see a lot of commuters around Seattle using them, both ways, on the bike and on their backs.

I too have seen a lot of commuters around town with the Ortlieb messenger style packs. Waterproof for sure, but perhaps a bit bulky for running in. I'll look into this pannier/backpack adapter. Maybe a smaller pannier would work.