Road Cycling · Public discussion

Need TDF Tour company recommendations

Started by Rivermist · · Last activity · 3 posts · 859 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 December 2003
Last activity
30 December 2003
Original author
Rivermist
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
859
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I plan to go to see the TDF in 2004. I am going to use a tour group.

    I plan to use one of the following three groups and would like to hear an opinion, if you have one,
    on any of them:

    BikeStyle Tours bikestyletours.combikestyletours.com Europe by bike europe-by-bike.comeurope-by-bike.com Graham
    Baxter sportingtours.co.uksportingtours.co.uk

    Also, if anyone has any other recommendations I would love to hear them.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I plan to go to see the TDF in 2004. I am going to use a tour group.

    I plan to use one of the following three groups and would like to hear an opinion, if you have
    one, on any of them:

    BikeStyle Tours bikestyletours.combikestyletours.com Europe by bike europe-by-bike.comeurope-by-bike.com
    Graham Baxter sportingtours.co.uksportingtours.co.uk

    Also, if anyone has any other recommendations I would love to hear them.

    We've got a page up on our website with a listing of over 30 companies doing TDF tours this year; it
    can be seen at www.ChainReaction.com/france04tdftourcompanies.htm.

    I don't specifically review the various companies, since there are only a couple that I have first-
    hand knowledge of. Having said that, you *will* find a fair amount of information about my trip last
    year with Graham Baxter, and it's saying something that I'm going again with them for '04. But they
    aren't for everybody; if you want something with any hand-holding or if you don't enjoy it when
    things don't quite go according to the intinerary, they're not for you.

    TREK Travel has gotten wonderful reviews from everyone I've spoken with (we've had quite a few
    customers do their trips), but they're pretty-much sold out for the TDF, with the exception of a
    trip or two during the first week.

    One thing that might help is to know what *you* would like. Do you want to ride yourself into the
    ground, or would you rather have the cycling be a bit less consuming? High-quality food, nicer
    accomodations, sag wagons... those are things that come with the more deluxe touring companies.

    Another thing to consider is how much of the TDF you actually want to see. The companies that hit up
    the TDF every single day subject you to a pretty grueling schedule, with extremely-early departures,
    and frequent changes of hotel. A more relaxed pace has you riding every other day, and seeing the
    TDF on the alternates.

    Lots of options!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

  3. I did Europe-by-bike. Had a great time. B

    (remove clothes to reply)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.