need the group's opinion on new Saris Trainer

I called Saris today and they said that the Pro Beam has a USB interface. They said that you had to use their Power-based software to program workouts into the Pro Beam head. But they believed that data from the head could be downloaded into Cycling Peaks or other similar cycling analysis software.

I also enquired about the possibility of a 3 D, virtual race package coming sometime in the future. they said it was a direction they hoped to take the Power Beam. It does sound exciting.

just to close the loop on this thread, i decided to buy a Computrainer Pro. thanks for all the feedback, and especially thanks to the folks that recommended Computrainer.

kopride said:
it certainly stops the Tyson type fraud from going on...
I'll call you a Whaaaaambulance and I'll pack you a blankey and a binky for the trip.

tmctguer said:
The Computrainer folks told me that they have been in business for about 30 years. i had no idea they had been around so long. they have a great story to tell and it seems like a first class product.

i don't mind paying good money for a quality product. both Saris & Computrainer seem to be in that category.

I am just starting to read about Tacx Trainers. As I understand, they offer a unit similar to the Computrainer, except possibly with less features, but a lot less money. it is probably worth considering that unit just to make sure I make an informed choice.
Tacx have 2 VR trainers out just now & a 3rd (the wireless Bushido) will be out on the market in the next few months. cant really tell you all about them without it looking like another one of my plug fests but you would be nuts to not look in depth at what these trainers can do. The Bushido will work with only the new software & then via a wireless Ant+ USB dongle.

The new very very cool Google Earth enabled software will be released in the next couple of weeks. Direct import from garmin units & GPX files will be in there as well as hrm export. So you can keep track with Cycling peaks etc.

email me if you have any questions.

PS a keen cyclist called Koos Tacx started his company 50years ago