Need tire pump recommendations

hy_tek

Banned
Sep 24, 2007
I need a good tire pump to take with me on cross bike trips. I had a cheap pump and had a flat ten miles from home and ended up walking the bike back home the entire way. The pump wouldn't even fill the tires. You get what you pay for. I want something that is reliable and durable. Thanks for any suggestions.

I love my Topeak Road Morph. Easily gets my tires up to pressure, and even has a built in gauge.

Because of the way it works, it is basically like a miniature floor pump.

dgregory57 said:
I love my Topeak Road Morph. Easily gets my tires up to pressure, and even has a built in gauge.

Because of the way it works, it is basically like a miniature floor pump.
They seem to make 2 types one with a dial gauge and one with an inline gauge which is a bit cheaper. I am really only going to use it for emergencies since I have an air compressor at my home to fill the tires. I am only familiar with the schrader valves on tubes does this work with both schrader and presta valves? Is there an advantage to one valve over the other?

Go old school. Check out the tried and proven French made Zefal HPX and/or Italian made Silca Impero (especially the one with the Campagnolo head) frame pumps. They're not the newest or lightest model of frame pumps on the market but they're both extremely reliable, looks good, works great and very durable. Both comes in different lengths and colours to fit your frame. The HPX also has a great lockout feature in the handle to make pumping your 700C tire to 150 psi a breeze. Both of these pumps are also rebuildable.

Forget CO2 cartridges or the new range of mini frame pumps. They are toys, the HPX and Impero are real pumps. True classics.

PS: Both the HPX and Impero are lighter than the Topeak Road Morph.

Tech72 said:
Go old school. Check out the tried and proven French made Zefal HPX and/or Italian made Silca Impero (especially the one with the Campagnolo head) frame pumps. They're not the newest or lightest model of frame pumps on the market but they're both extremely reliable, looks good, works great and very durable. Both comes in different lengths and colours to fit your frame. The HPX also has a great lockout feature in the handle to make pumping your 700C tire to 150 psi a breeze. Both of these pumps are also rebuildable.

Forget CO2 cartridges or the new range of mini frame pumps. They are toys, the HPX and Impero are real pumps. True classics.

PS: Both the HPX and Impero are lighter than the Topeak Road Morph.
While going old school with either of these pumps is a good idea, don't immediately discount CO2 Inflators, they are not toys and they save your arms. Even with the HPX, your arms are not going to feel too good after you have reached your recommended pressure, lockout feature or not. CO2 Inflators are quick and easy, but are only one shot, so you will want to carry either spare cartridges or a pump anyway.

I did some reading on the Road Morph and it seems many people comment it is cheaply made with plastic parts and that it breaks easily. A couple said it didn't work at all or deflated the tires upon connection. The foot brace and pump handle looked like cheaply made plastic. I am going to my cycle shop today and visually inspect one. I will also check out the Zefal pump if I can find it. The CO2 pumps are just not for me. I don't want to have to carry around cartridges and then lose the entire charge when I find the tube is not connected securely to the pump. I like old school.

hy_tek said:
I did some reading on the Road Morph and it seems many people comment it is cheaply made with plastic parts and that it breaks easily. A couple said it didn't work at all or deflated the tires upon connection. The foot brace and pump handle looked like cheaply made plastic. I am going to my cycle shop today and visually inspect one. I will also check out the Zefal pump if I can find it. The CO2 pumps are just not for me. I don't want to have to carry around cartridges and then lose the entire charge when I find the tube is not connected securely to the pump. I like old school.
Ok I like the Zefal HPX ASV pump but it comes in 4 sizes. My bike frame has a sticker on the vertical tube that holds the seat of 23 Inches. which would be a size #3. But if you use the dimensions from Zefals website you measure from the top of the tube end to the center of the crank which is about 24+ inches. That would be a size #4. So which size do I need?

hy_tek said:
I need a good tire pump to take with me on cross bike trips. I had a cheap pump and had a flat ten miles from home and ended up walking the bike back home the entire way. The pump wouldn't even fill the tires. You get what you pay for. I want something that is reliable and durable. Thanks for any suggestions.

Topeak Road Morph.

I looked at the Road Morph and it frankly looks rather cheaply made of plastic except for the main cylinder. That was my first impression anyway.

hy_tek said:
I looked at the Road Morph and it frankly looks rather cheaply made of plastic except for the main cylinder. That was my first impression anyway.

I have owned a Topeak Road Morph (with gauge) for almost two years now. It is a fantastic pump, absolutely the best I have ever owned including full size frame pumps and various mini pumps . It lives in my commuting pannier so it gets jostled around most days of the week, but it still works perfectly.
The only problem I had with it was that the foot clamp fell of since the small nut and bolt holding it came loose. Probably a design problem since other people have experienced it too. A small dab of weak Loctite 222 seems to have solved that problem permanently.

Regarding the build quality I must say I can't recognize your description of it as cheaply made. The very sturdy plastic doesn't have the slightest nick and looks like new while the metal tube have some scratches. The latter is of course expected since I don't hesitate to heave 15 kg of cans, bottles and groceries on top of the pump when shopping.

Some things I like about it:
It works like a mini track pump, so one can actually fill the tires to 120 psi or above without any problems.
If your arms tire you can use your entire upper body to help press down on the pump.
The lockable head with the extension tube means that one doesn't need to hold on to the perhaps cold, wet and very dirty rims, and also mean that the valve isn't stressed at all. (it is a common mistake to wreck valves/tubes with frame pumps if one doesn't use the right technique).
The gauge is surprisingly helpfull. It means that I don't have to check the tire pressure after a tube change.

interested said:
I have owned a Topeak Road Morph (with gauge) for almost two years now. It is a fantastic pump, absolutely the best I have ever owned including full size frame pumps and various mini pumps . It lives in my commuting pannier so it gets jostled around most days of the week, but it still works perfectly.
The only problem I had with it was that the foot clamp fell of since the small nut and bolt holding it came loose. Probably a design problem since other people have experienced it too. A small dab of weak Loctite 222 seems to have solved that problem permanently.

Regarding the build quality I must say I can't recognize your description of it as cheaply made. The very sturdy plastic doesn't have the slightest nick and looks like new while the metal tube have some scratches. The latter is of course expected since I don't hesitate to heave 15 kg of cans, bottles and groceries on top of the pump when shopping.

Some things I like about it:
It works like a mini track pump, so one can actually fill the tires to 120 psi or above without any problems.
If your arms tire you can use your entire upper body to help press down on the pump.
The lockable head with the extension tube means that one doesn't need to hold on to the perhaps cold, wet and very dirty rims, and also mean that the valve isn't stressed at all. (it is a common mistake to wreck valves/tubes with frame pumps if one doesn't use the right technique).
The gauge is surprisingly helpfull. It means that I don't have to check the tire pressure after a tube change.
I read reviews of people saying the plastic foot pedal and handle broke. I read another that said the plastic head broke off after a few uses. I don't know myself about the durability just that people reported the plastic parts breaking and pump failure in the reviews. This may be due to abuse who knows.

hy_tek said:
I read reviews of people saying the plastic foot pedal and handle broke. I read another that said the plastic head broke off after a few uses. I don't know myself about the durability just that people reported the plastic parts breaking and pump failure in the reviews. This may be due to abuse who knows.

I assume you are referring to e.g. these reviews:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/pump/topeak/road-morph-pump-with-gauge/PRD_359296_136crx.aspx

The foot pedal probably comes off too easily because the bolt and nut is very small, and you just can't torque it up since that would make it difficult to use the foot pedal. A minor design problem that can be solved with some thread locker. I find it unlikely that the plastic actually breaking since it is quite strong.

Anyway, in the reviews above, notice how the few people having problems have only used the product less than a month while all the people who have owned it for a long period gives it a good score. That is an unlikely pattern if there where any inherent durability issues with the pump.

So don't worry about the Road Morph being flimsy, it is not. I don't think that any other "take-along" pump is as good as the Road Morph when it comes to pumping high pressure tires.

i use cannondale's airspeed vista. small, it has a gauge, very nice solid build and a high pressure switch for easier pump at high pressure.

hy_tek said:
Ok I like the Zefal HPX ASV pump but it comes in 4 sizes. My bike frame has a sticker on the vertical tube that holds the seat of 23 Inches. which would be a size #3. But if you use the dimensions from Zefals website you measure from the top of the tube end to the center of the crank which is about 24+ inches. That would be a size #4. So which size do I need?
I tried several frame pumps; finally i settled on a Blackburn carbon and used for a while but i could only use it mounted on my top tube ( i did not want to give up my bottle cage). The problem was that i had to take it off whenever i put the bike on my rack or stand. It also never fit because of the shaped tube intersections (I think they work better on steel frames). I returned it and bought the topeak with a side mount bracket. It has worked well for me.

hy_tek said:
Topeak Road Morph. I've had mine for years and no problems at all. The plastic fold out section used to step on is very solid. The extendable hose ensures you don't break the valve. I have no problem pumping to 120psi. It was noticeable on a two day ride I did over the weekend with 14 cyclists in the group I spotted at least 3-4 Topeak Road Morphs. Not a coincidence.

I have used my Road Morph at home a couple of times when I was too lazy to look for my floor pump... I think that should tell you something about whether it is a good pump. ;)

Frankly, I have a Zefal pump that came on a bike I bought used, and if I didn't know they were quality pumps, I would not be impressed with the initial impression of it's construction either...

I do agree there is a classic look to the traditional frame pump, but if you go that direction, I would practice at home, because I remember in my younger years ruining a couple of stems on my inner tubes with Zefal type pumps from not holding them steady enough while inflating my tires.

Nothing quite like tearing the stem off a tube you just patched to get you in the mood to take it all apart again to put in your spare tube... Of course, I have always been a klutz anyway.