Need to be careful while riding at night.

Henrywrites

Feb 12, 2018
I have come to realize that riding at night is one of the most dangerous time to ride. Maybe this is not true everywhere, but the place that I come from is having such issues as this in the sense that there are times that some drunk motorists will be careless on the road and when one is not careful, you may end up being injured by their vehicles.

So, there is need for us to be really careful when we ride at night for that is not a very nice time to go riding especially during the weekends .

Riding at night has also lots of disadvantages. Some death accidents at night were caused by reckless drunk drivers. That could be so dangerous and unfortunate to be hit no matter how careful you are at riding. In our place, the reported cases of death accidents at night caused by drunk reckless driving are growing and still happening.

Reactions: Henrywrites
Actually even not drunk drivers, a lot of irresponsible drivers are always there, and also even during the day. The only thing makes me feel not safe at night biking is because of dogs, a lot of dogs in the our location, and they, the owners allowed them to run and chase the bikers.

Riding at night has also lots of disadvantages. Some death accidents at night were caused by reckless drunk drivers. That could be so dangerous and unfortunate to be hit no matter how careful you are at riding. In our place, the reported cases of death accidents at night caused by drunk reckless driving are growing and still happening.

The case of drunken drivers is one that everybody should be careful about and this has even made me to stop riding at the early hours of the day for some car owners might be coming back from a night club and already high on drinks. This has resulted in many accidents on the road and that is the reason we ought to be careful when such matters arise.

Actually even not drunk drivers, a lot of irresponsible drivers are always there, and also even during the day. The only thing makes me feel not safe at night biking is because of dogs, a lot of dogs in the our location, and they, the owners allowed them to run and chase the bikers.

Animals parading at night is one thing that I don't really feel comfortable about as well as long as night riding is concerned. There is an issue in our country with the way the cattle owners parade their cows at night has even caused accidents for drivers and we are still hopeful that the government will put a stop to such incident from occurring.

Over here, the issue is not the animals when riding at night. Humans are more dangerous hence riders have to take all necessary precautions particularly the reflectorized shirt or having the backlight for visibility because a vehicle can bump you behind just like that. And if possible, ride with someone so you will feel protected somehow. There may be criminal elements around the vicinity who may be lurking and waiting for a chance to jump on you. They can take your bike and other belongings. Worse, they can even harm you.

Biking at night is more dangerous in general, particularly when it's your first time biking on that route. However, as long as you're careful, bike on the well-lit roads, and you're familiar with the route where you're in, you can still bike safely without worrying too much.

Animals parading at night is one thing that I don't really feel comfortable about as well as long as night riding is concerned. There is an issue in our country with the way the cattle owners parade their cows at night has even caused accidents for drivers and we are still hopeful that the government will put a stop to such incident from occurring.

Yeah, in our town also, I really like to use my bike at night, I like the weather, the environment, because a lot of trees and it's cold, and it's actually not national road so it's really safe, but the animals... Actually I already file a blotter in our town to please the owners and be responsible to not allowed their animals specially dogs in the streets.

I haven't found night time riding any more dangerous than day time riding quite frankly! As long as your lit up really well and obey the rules of the road there shouldn't be any real issues. I've found the most dangerous time to be riding is during rush hour in urban areas, especially evening rush hour.

I use to do a lot of night riding in the past, initially I liked it because it's cooler and quieter at night problem is I didn't use any lights then just plain reflectors and I got bump by a scooter ended up with a hand fracture. After that incident I stopped biking at nights specially cross city biking or citywide biking, but I still do it only in my neighborhood.

I use to do a lot of night riding in the past, initially I liked it because it's cooler and quieter at night problem is I didn't use any lights then just plain reflectors and I got bump by a scooter ended up with a hand fracture. After that incident I stopped biking at nights specially cross city biking or citywide biking, but I still do it only in my neighborhood.

I don't understand why one relatively minor accident caused you to stop riding at night? And perhaps if you had been using active lighting that accident may not have ever occured. Are you ok riding a bike at any time of the day? Because riding a bike doesn't come without hazards, I would hate to hear you had an accident involving a car in the daytime and you just give up on cycling. I use to race cars, I had a major crash, guess what? I went back to racing. I use to race bikes, had an accident while training, guess what? I went back to riding. Just saying if a horse throws you off you get back on or else you never will. If you liked riding at night don't let either a minor or major accident prevent you from doing what you like.

From where I live scooters easily outnumber mtb's 30 to 1 and at night there's a lot of scooter groups riding and they tend to occupy the side of the road. It's easy to get bumped that's if your riding alone but if you have a group of riders with you it's safer. But your right, I don't have to be afraid riding at night, I just have to be careful. I ride a new GTS now, I also have a Huffy an old BMX and several others.
IMG_20180320_173120.jpg

Kakashi, I've never lived in a place where scooters are everywhere, but if I did and I wanted to ride a bike in that mess I would first save my money and get a really bright (90 lumens plus) tail light with 180 degree visibility; then I would start saving again for a really bright headlight with at least 600 lumens and flash mode, if that's legal where you live, flash for daytime and headlight for nighttime. I would run those lights all the time day or night. I'm sure the scooters all have lights, and you should too.

Reactions: Kakashi
Kakashi, I've never lived in a place where scooters are everywhere, but if I did and I wanted to ride a bike in that mess I would first save my money and get a really bright (90 lumens plus) tail light with 180 degree visibility; then I would start saving again for a really bright headlight with at least 600 lumens and flash mode, if that's legal where you live, flash for daytime and headlight for nighttime. I would run those lights all the time day or night. I'm sure the scooters all have lights, and you should too.

Thanks Froze, for the advice, will do that.:)

I haven't found night time riding any more dangerous than day time riding quite frankly! As long as your lit up really well and obey the rules of the road there shouldn't be any real issues. I've found the most dangerous time to be riding is during rush hour in urban areas, especially evening rush hour.
Right, during rush hours is the most dangerous time for bikers, the roads are full of vehicles, and I'm sure that some of the drivers during that time are really mad about the traffic. they are running out of patience and might not notice some small vehicles like bike that could cause an accident.

Thanks Froze, for the advice, will do that.:)
Your welcome, I'm just want to see cyclists, like you and I, stay as safe as possible.

I would also recommend buying brand name products instead of cheaper generics because the cheaper generics over rate their lumens by at least 100% meaning a 200 lumen light is actually only 100 lumens or less! Also you have to be careful of generic brands batteries catching fire when recharging. On Amazon here in America you can get a really nice tail light called the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 (that is the max lumens too) for only $36, see: https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hot...7816&sr=8-3&keywords=cygolite+hotshot+pro+150 It's recharged via a USB port and wire which is included of course, but you have to have something with a USB port that you can plug the light into.

Cygolite also has a good range of low costing headlights, you can get a Metro Pro 1100 (lumen, that's a lot of light too) for just $68, or if that's too much you can also get a Metro 700 (still decent brightness) for just $49. You can see their full array of headlights here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=sporting&field-keywords=cygolite+metro+

A note on the flashing stuff, you do need to check to see if flashing lights are legal in your country before you buy anything, if so this is how I run my lights.

During the daytime I run only my tail light at max brightness on flash, or in my case pulse (pulse means that it goes from bright to dim and back), at night I run the tail light on steady at full brightness. The Hotshot pro180 has a large variety of modes you can select.

Why do I run the light on flash during the day and not steady? Because the bright sunlight can defuse a steady light, or make it less attracted by a motorist, so a flash instead attracts the attention of the motorist better. But at night an odd thing happens, while a flash mode does attract their attention but for some reason that flashing makes it difficult for the motorist to ascertain their distance from the flashing object, so to help them figure that out I leave mine on steady. If I only had one tail light I would put mine on pulse mode at night because then the light is always on yet it's pulsating to attract attention, this is what you should consider when using the Hotshot. I do use one other tail light though, something you might want to consider doing as some later point), adding a tail light to the helmet puts the light above the level of other things on the road and makes it visible, that one I leave on flash at night and the main one is on steady. I put my best and brightest tail light on the seat tube, and the other less expensive and a bit dimmer one on the helmet.

The head light I don't run during the day unless it's raining or overcast then I might depending on if I'm in the city (on) or out in the country (off). If you're riding at night like you say you do, you need the light to see the road with so leave it on steady, if you're out riding during a dark rainy day put it on flash. Here again though I use two headlights at night, I have cheaper one on the helmet which is on flash mode in the city, and the main brighter one on the handlebars on steady. The cool thing about a headlight on the helmet is that you can turn your head and flash a motorist at an intersection or driveway etc to get their attention by aiming the light at the motorist head! No, that's not mean, you don't leave on them, just long enough so you can see them turn their head in your direction. The one on the head I will switch to steady mode when I get out into the country.

For the helmet lights you don't need as expensive lights as your main, of course as cheap as the Hotshot 180 pro is you could get two of those (over time of course to spread out the cost), or you could drop down to the Hotshot 50 which I think is about $25, but really it's only $11 less then the 180! And for the helmet headlight you could get a Cygolite Metro 400 for just $35. I think Cygolite has been able to reduce their headlight cost by not including the helmet strap, mine came with a helmet strap but I paid more for it, the helmet strap it is about $14.

I have 2 Cygolites, my oldest one I got about 25 years ago and I bought the cheapest one they had which was also called a Metro. This light was before the days of LED so it used a dual bulb 12 watt total (which I changed to 14 watt total) halogen powered by 8 D batteries! Yes it was heavy but it worked really well, I still have it to this day and it still works just fine! The newer Cygolite I have is the Mitycross 450 OSP, this one is about 13 years old and it too still works just fine, I retired the old Metro when I got this light and have been using this light as my helmet light since then. This is one of the reasons I recommend Cygolites because they are very well made as I have witnessed from two different models. In case your wondering about my other two lights, the helmet tail light is a Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo, not as well made as Cygolites but despite missing a part that broke off it still works; the other tail light is a Light & Motion Vis 180 which is very well made as well, but when I got that light Cygolite didn't have as powerful of a light then as they do now. The other headlight I have is a now no longer made but extremely bright and well made Philips Saferide 80, this is sweat light, though it only puts out 250 lumens but due to aimed optics it's significantly brighter on the pavement then the brighter Mitycross!

Anyway sorry for the rambling just though some of the info would be good for you to understand.

I have come to realize that riding at night is one of the most dangerous time to ride. Maybe this is not true everywhere, but the place that I come from is having such issues as this in the sense that there are times that some drunk motorists will be careless on the road and when one is not careful, you may end up being injured by their vehicles.

So, there is need for us to be really careful when we ride at night for that is not a very nice time to go riding especially during the weekends .

Accidents doesn't chose a particular time to occur. It can happen any time of the day. The danger in driving at night is, it is hard for some other motorist, especially those driving a car to see the bikers on the road because it is dark already.

Accidents doesn't chose a particular time to occur. It can happen any time of the day. The danger in driving at night is, it is hard for some other motorist, especially those driving a car to see the bikers on the road because it is dark already.

I am not disputing the fact that accidents can happen at anytime of the day, but the truth has got to be that we have the chance to minimize the risk invloved as long as getting into accident situations are concerned. This is the reason we should be careful when we ride at night as the risk of getting invloved in accidents is quite high at those moments.

Your welcome, I'm just want to see cyclists, like you and I, stay as safe as possible.

I would also recommend buying brand name products instead of cheaper generics because the cheaper generics over rate their lumens by at least 100% meaning a 200 lumen light is actually only 100 lumens or less! Also you have to be careful of generic brands batteries catching fire when recharging. On Amazon here in America you can get a really nice tail light called the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 (that is the max lumens too) for only $36, see: https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hot...7816&sr=8-3&keywords=cygolite+hotshot+pro+150 It's recharged via a USB port and wire which is included of course, but you have to have something with a USB port that you can plug the light into.

Cygolite also has a good range of low costing headlights, you can get a Metro Pro 1100 (lumen, that's a lot of light too) for just $68, or if that's too much you can also get a Metro 700 (still decent brightness) for just $49. You can see their full array of headlights here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=sporting&field-keywords=cygolite+metro+

A note on the flashing stuff, you do need to check to see if flashing lights are legal in your country before you buy anything, if so this is how I run my lights.

During the daytime I run only my tail light at max brightness on flash, or in my case pulse (pulse means that it goes from bright to dim and back), at night I run the tail light on steady at full brightness. The Hotshot pro180 has a large variety of modes you can select.

Why do I run the light on flash during the day and not steady? Because the bright sunlight can defuse a steady light, or make it less attracted by a motorist, so a flash instead attracts the attention of the motorist better. But at night an odd thing happens, while a flash mode does attract their attention but for some reason that flashing makes it difficult for the motorist to ascertain their distance from the flashing object, so to help them figure that out I leave mine on steady. If I only had one tail light I would put mine on pulse mode at night because then the light is always on yet it's pulsating to attract attention, this is what you should consider when using the Hotshot. I do use one other tail light though, something you might want to consider doing as some later point), adding a tail light to the helmet puts the light above the level of other things on the road and makes it visible, that one I leave on flash at night and the main one is on steady. I put my best and brightest tail light on the seat tube, and the other less expensive and a bit dimmer one on the helmet.

The head light I don't run during the day unless it's raining or overcast then I might depending on if I'm in the city (on) or out in the country (off). If you're riding at night like you say you do, you need the light to see the road with so leave it on steady, if you're out riding during a dark rainy day put it on flash. Here again though I use two headlights at night, I have cheaper one on the helmet which is on flash mode in the city, and the main brighter one on the handlebars on steady. The cool thing about a headlight on the helmet is that you can turn your head and flash a motorist at an intersection or driveway etc to get their attention by aiming the light at the motorist head! No, that's not mean, you don't leave on them, just long enough so you can see them turn their head in your direction. The one on the head I will switch to steady mode when I get out into the country.

For the helmet lights you don't need as expensive lights as your main, of course as cheap as the Hotshot 180 pro is you could get two of those (over time of course to spread out the cost), or you could drop down to the Hotshot 50 which I think is about $25, but really it's only $11 less then the 180! And for the helmet headlight you could get a Cygolite Metro 400 for just $35. I think Cygolite has been able to reduce their headlight cost by not including the helmet strap, mine came with a helmet strap but I paid more for it, the helmet strap it is about $14.

I have 2 Cygolites, my oldest one I got about 25 years ago and I bought the cheapest one they had which was also called a Metro. This light was before the days of LED so it used a dual bulb 12 watt total (which I changed to 14 watt total) halogen powered by 8 D batteries! Yes it was heavy but it worked really well, I still have it to this day and it still works just fine! The newer Cygolite I have is the Mitycross 450 OSP, this one is about 13 years old and it too still works just fine, I retired the old Metro when I got this light and have been using this light as my helmet light since then. This is one of the reasons I recommend Cygolites because they are very well made as I have witnessed from two different models. In case your wondering about my other two lights, the helmet tail light is a Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo, not as well made as Cygolites but despite missing a part that broke off it still works; the other tail light is a Light & Motion Vis 180 which is very well made as well, but when I got that light Cygolite didn't have as powerful of a light then as they do now. The other headlight I have is a now no longer made but extremely bright and well made Philips Saferide 80, this is sweat light, though it only puts out 250 lumens but due to aimed optics it's significantly brighter on the pavement then the brighter Mitycross!

Anyway sorry for the rambling just though some of the info would be good for you to understand.

Thanks for the info froze I'm just an amateur cyclist when it comes to mountain biking but in my younger years I did a lot of freestyle BMX riding using my GT and Haro, when I got older, I left biking to concentrate on work, now my kids are teens already I started to go back to leisure cycling via mountain bikes about 5 years ago. It took me a year to get accustomed to balancing a higher ride and the gears and to get it customized for my body. I really didn't think about the importance of getting battery operated headlights and signal lights, I just used tail reflectors and at nights a strap on front blinker sometimes. But thanks to your advice, I'll drop by our neighborhood bakeshop and see what kind of lights they have. Again thanks a lot froze:)

Thanks for the info froze I'm just an amateur cyclist when it comes to mountain biking but in my younger years I did a lot of freestyle BMX riding using my GT and Haro, when I got older, I left biking to concentrate on work, now my kids are teens already I started to go back to leisure cycling via mountain bikes about 5 years ago. It took me a year to get accustomed to balancing a higher ride and the gears and to get it customized for my body. I really didn't think about the importance of getting battery operated headlights and signal lights, I just used tail reflectors and at nights a strap on front blinker sometimes. But thanks to your advice, I'll drop by our neighborhood bakeshop and see what kind of lights they have. Again thanks a lot froze:)

I did read just today about another headlight that is getting rave reviews on Amazon, but it is bulkier due to a separate battery pack than the Cygolites which have a self contained battery, but it's also brighter and not expensive at all, it is a generic but the build quality from the reviews has been favorable about it, any see: https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes-...te-20&linkId=c0e0702029cda5394deabd646406298a