Need to buy new wheels. Which ones?

Brianstoiber

May 3, 2009
So I seriously bent my front rim on a huge pothole that magically formed out of nowhere. This is beyond what truing can fix. They were Mavic CPX22s. I'm looking to now replace both from and rear wheels. Any suggestions for sub $500 wheelsets? I ride mostly road but have some fine crushes limestone that I ride on while transitioning from different areas. I am 6'2" and 180. Would like a good balance between light and fast but also durable. I do not race at all except with myself.

FWIW. Just a thought ...

For the near term, maybe you should just replace the current rim on your damaged front wheel with a similar rim ...

And postpone replacing the wheelset with a more expensive wheelset until after you manage to scope out the cousins of the particular pothole because if you encounter one of THEM with your future high-zoot wheelset then you will be mightily disappointed.

BTW. Thanks in part to ever improving tire technology (i.e., tubeless AND less carcass weight), the current trend for clincher rims for the cognoscenti is 622-17 ... that may be a passing fad just as narrow 700x20 tires were popular with the same crowd for decades ...

• I've got a sent of vintage UKAI rims which are 622-17 ...
  • in other words, what's old is new to some people!

If you truly feel ready for a new wheelset, then 'I' recommend that you find a wheelbuilder (hey, a semi-custom wheelset from COLORADO CYCLIST, EXCEL, etc. are almost as good if not as good as a custom wheelset from a good wheelbuilder) & have him-or-her lace up a set of wheels on either a set of Shimano Ultegra OR DT Swiss 240 hubs ... let your wheelbuilder recommend the rims.

• current Shimano hubs at the high end are being superseded with 11-speed hubs THAT should already be true for current Dura Ace hubs
  • and certainly, be true for Ultegra hubs after September 1st
[*] same is probably true for many OTHER hub brands
[*] so, even if you are not planning on updating to 11-speeds in the future, you may nonetheless want to have hubs which ARE 11-speed compatible

alfeng said:
FWIW.  Just a thought ...   For the near term, maybe you should just replace the current rim on your damaged front wheel with a similar rim ... And postpone replacing the wheelset with a more expensive wheelset until after you manage to scope out the cousins of the particular pothole because if you encounter one of THEM with your future high-zoot wheelset then you will be mightily disappointed.
yes your hub should be ok, i would buy a new rim as a replacement, im not sure about the spokes though,