Need to put togethere a dual hub

Jimmy

Guest
Any idea how I could fabricate a dual hub?
I need a single sprocket freeewheel on the left and a single freewheel
sprocket on the right.
Doesn't have to look nice, but I need it to be cheap.
I've been thinking about this for days , but haven't figured it out.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jimmy

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:45:24 -0400, "Jimmy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any idea how I could fabricate a dual hub?
>I need a single sprocket freeewheel on the left and a single freewheel
>sprocket on the right.
>Doesn't have to look nice, but I need it to be cheap.
>I've been thinking about this for days , but haven't figured it out.

Buy one. Anything fixed/free or fixed/fixed will do you right, since a
single speed freewheel will screw onto the threads for the track cog if
you want. It won't be cheap, though, especially considering the cost of
two single speed freewheels. But it will be cheaper and work better than
screwing around trying to fabricate something from existing cassette hubs.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:45:24 -0400, "Jimmy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Any idea how I could fabricate a dual hub?
>>I need a single sprocket freeewheel on the left and a single freewheel
>>sprocket on the right.
>>Doesn't have to look nice, but I need it to be cheap.
>>I've been thinking about this for days , but haven't figured it out.

> Buy one. Anything fixed/free or fixed/fixed will do you right, since a
> single speed freewheel will screw onto the threads for the track cog if
> you want. It won't be cheap, though, especially considering the cost of
> two single speed freewheels. But it will be cheaper and work better than
> screwing around trying to fabricate something from existing cassette hubs.

But the freewheel on the left will spin backwards... unless you get a
left-side drive (LSD) freewheel.

Get a flip-flop hub, one normal freewheel, and one left side drive
freewheel. Bob's your uncle.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

dvt wrote:

>>> Any idea how I could fabricate a dual hub?

>> Buy one. Anything fixed/free or fixed/fixed will do you right, since a
>> single speed freewheel will screw onto the threads for the track cog if
>> you want. It won't be cheap, though, especially considering the cost of
>> two single speed freewheels. But it will be cheaper and work better than
>> screwing around trying to fabricate something from existing cassette
>> hubs.

> But the freewheel on the left will spin backwards... unless you get a
> left-side drive (LSD) freewheel.
>
> Get a flip-flop hub, one normal freewheel, and one left side drive
> freewheel. Bob's your uncle.

I saw a wheel like this last week, used in a bicycle with a stepper
mechanism instead of rotary cranks. The (longer than normal) cranks were
attached to levers, that had chains attached to them. The point of
attachment of the chain to the lever set the gearing of the bicycle.
When the crank was depressed, the lever pulled the chain, which pulled
the hub. Also a run of chain around the seat-tube at the bb caused the
other pedal to rise when the first was depressed.

Both cranks were connected to the hub this way, on opposite sides, to
two freewheels arranged as you describe. Stepping with the right foot
drove the right sprocket, and stepping with the left the left. The bike
was in the LBS for repairs to the unusual drive train, and the mechanics
were getting creative. I think it was being ridden by someone with a
disability that made stepping easier than pedaling. Sure was a weird
bike to ride!

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
> I saw a wheel like this last week, used in a bicycle with a stepper
> mechanism instead of rotary cranks.

The archives of this group show "winnobizi" proposing a patent on this
idea within the past few months. I wonder if you saw his bike.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:18:39 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
>Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
>> I saw a wheel like this last week, used in a bicycle with a stepper
>> mechanism instead of rotary cranks.

>The archives of this group show "winnobizi" proposing a patent on this
>idea within the past few months. I wonder if you saw his bike.

Very much no, since winnobizi has no prototype, and these stepper bikes
have been made before (as in, 1890s-90s before). If you have the right
kind of disability, it may even make sense.

Jasper

"Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I saw a wheel like this last week, used in a bicycle with a stepper
> mechanism instead of rotary cranks. The (longer than normal)
> cranks were attached to levers, that had chains attached to them.
> The point of attachment of the chain to the lever set the gearing
> of the bicycle. When the crank was depressed, the lever pulled
> the chain, which pulled the hub. Also a run of chain around the
> seat-tube at the bb caused the other pedal to rise when the first
> was depressed.

> Both cranks were connected to the hub this way, on opposite sides,
> to two freewheels arranged as you describe. Stepping with the right
> foot drove the right sprocket, and stepping with the left the left.

Probably an Alenax:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/bike shops/First_Flight/Alenax_closeup.JPG

http://www.trbsystems.com/Articles/pressrel1.htm

James Thomson