Need to re-rim a Ksyrium Elite, alternatives?

liveonedge

Nov 10, 2005
I need to re-rim a Ksyrium Elite but I guess it doesn't matter what type it is. Basically I'm left with a Ksyrium 18 spoke hub. Since I use this for cyclocross and there's the possibility that I may damage another rim, I'm looking for cheaper 18 spoke rim alternatives that I can attach to that hub.
I don't care about weight or aerodynamics since this is used for CX.

Any suggestions, no bike store has been able to help me. I'm basically on my own and although Mavic can re-rim it for $150 I'd like to go a cheaper route without using their nipple system since it makes it very hard to re-rim and my local bike shops grind their teeth every time I walk into the store to service them.

Thanks in advance!!

liveonedge said:
I need to re-rim a Ksyrium Elite but I guess it doesn't matter what type it is. Basically I'm left with a Ksyrium 18 spoke hub. Since I use this for cyclocross and there's the possibility that I may damage another rim, I'm looking for cheaper 18 spoke rim alternatives that I can attach to that hub.
I don't care about weight or aerodynamics since this is used for CX.

Any suggestions, no bike store has been able to help me. I'm basically on my own and although Mavic can re-rim it for $150 I'd like to go a cheaper route without using their nipple system since it makes it very hard to re-rim and my local bike shops grind their teeth every time I walk into the store to service them.

Thanks in advance!!

Had the same problem with a rear (20 spoke) Elite. Major cash from Mavic. I was able to score an Alex rim off eBay for 20 bucks. Used the K hub and spokes with the Alex rim and standard nipples, went together sweet. Not sure of the 18 hole's availability, but if you look around you might get something used. Custom drilling is an option although probably not too cheap.
Check with Colorado Cyclist, they do a bunch of custom building.

Yeah.. I'd keep an eye out on Ebay for some kind of Campy 18-hole deep dish(like a older Zonda... or Scirocco)... I believe those came in 18-hole back in the 1990's. For cycle-X ... .a deep dish would be your best choice / IMO, due to creating a stronger wheel for you.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Yeah.. I'd keep an eye out on Ebay for some kind of Campy 18-hole deep dish(like a older Zonda... or Scirocco)... I believe those came in 18-hole back in the 1990's. For cycle-X ... .a deep dish would be your best choice / IMO, due to creating a stronger wheel for you.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been looking at wheels and have been unlucky. This will probably become my backup wheel so I'm in no hurry to build it up at the moment. Hopefully something will turn up.

capwater said:
Had the same problem with a rear (20 spoke) Elite. Major cash from Mavic. I was able to score an Alex rim off eBay for 20 bucks. Used the K hub and spokes with the Alex rim and standard nipples, went together sweet. Not sure of the 18 hole's availability, but if you look around you might get something used. Custom drilling is an option although probably not too cheap.
Check with Colorado Cyclist, they do a bunch of custom building.
That would have been perfect. Too bad it wasn't my rear wheel :(
The only one I see online that could probably work is the Velocity Fusion
http://velocityusa.com/rims/road-rims.php. They make an 18h version. With this setup I could probably even re-use the same spokes. I'll try Co Cyclist too! Thanks! Any more suggestions are welcomed :)