Need tough wheel set advice

Dave Stoller

Jun 21, 2005
I need advice for a good tough wheel set. I seem to be hard on rear wheels and have broken/lose spokes problems putting a crimp in my riding time! Usual put in about 3000 miles a summer, wt. 215, Ht. 6'1". I doing a lot of climbing but I'm stay in the saddle type. Riding Neuvation R350's now, friends say the Ksyrium SSC-SL or Elites is what I need?? Maybe just a good rear will do?

Dave Stoller said:
I need advice for a good tough wheel set. I seem to be hard on rear wheels and have broken/lose spokes problems putting a crimp in my riding time! Usual put in about 3000 miles a summer, wt. 215, Ht. 6'1". I doing a lot of climbing but I'm stay in the saddle type. Riding Neuvation R350's now, friends say the Ksyrium SSC-SL or Elites is what I need?? Maybe just a good rear will do?
Quality hubs like Ultegra or DURA ACE and at least 32 quality spokes like DT Competition 14/15 or Sapim Race.
You could use a lighter spoke on the non-drive side like DT Revolution or Sapim Laser 14/17 DB. Both sides built 3 cross. You choice or rims can be from Mavic OpenPro or CXP-33 and Velocity Aerohead OC (for rear), Fusion, or Deep V. Sapim Polyax nipples also help spoke life.
Quality build also makes a big difference.
Spoke alignment, proper tensioning, tension balancing, and stress relieving all are a part of quality build

Dave Stoller said:
Got to love friends that say you "need" an $850 wheelset! I'd save your money, and go with something stronger as David recommends.

dhk said:
Got to love friends that say you "need" an $850 wheelset! I'd save your money, and go with something stronger as David recommends.
They'll even sell you another one in three months... The most important part is to find a good builder who's put together a lot of wheels. They'll be able to narrow down the field of hubs/spokes/rims for you.

I've found that a Velocity Deep V rim, with 32 spokes laced three cross to just about any hub is a pretty much bombproof wheel (I weight about 230lbs). Hand built will be better than machine built though, just like almost everyone has already mentioned.

Your choice of mid-high range hubs (Chorus, Record, or that japaneses stuff:p )

Mavic Open Pro or Ambrosio rims.

I'd agree with everyone else... and say stay away from the high $$ wheelsets- yes there nice(if your racing) ..... otherwise, just go with a nice hub / rim / 32-spoke ...... proper wheel build....... and you'll be golden :)