Need Training Advice

daisygirl53

Aug 22, 2007
I am new to cycling and want to improve my average speed as well as my distance. I have been riding about two months. I ride four times a week and average about 10 miles per ride. My average speed is between 11-12 mph. I know this is slow but I am having a hard time increasing my speed. Any advice?

daisygirl53 said:
I am new to cycling and want to improve my average speed as well as my distance. I have been riding about two months. I ride four times a week and average about 10 miles per ride. My average speed is between 11-12 mph. I know this is slow but I am having a hard time increasing my speed. Any advice?
You can find a local cycling club to ride with. If it's a large club there will be many diverse levels of riders so you can always find someone to ride with. Training with others certainly helps motivate you to go faster. Your LBS (local bike shop) would know about clubs in the area. Or you can check www.usacycling.org for clubs in your area. A lot of clubs are organized and have websites with contact information. Then if you get really serious then you can start focused aerobic training and racing.