Need training advice

Badlarry12

Jul 8, 2016
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my question.

I am having some issues with endurance and I am wildly out of shape. I can barely finish a mile right now whereas I used to be able to do about 20 a few years ago. Additionally, I haven't been working at my legs or cycling since 2012 as I have been out of the country in an area you'd probably die on a bike.

What can I do to get myself back to doing at least 20 miles?

-I have been trying out interval training, but its gasing me out very quickly and I am getting a huge burn in my quads. I am inching forward however gaining a slight improvement daily. But, I feel for some one who is 27 years old 220 LBS I should be able to do at least 5 miles.

Any advice is useful! Thanks again!

Reactions: ambal
  1. See a doctor to make sure you are OK for exercise.
  2. If 1 is a "yes", just ride. Don't worry about interval work at this stage. You've got a ways to go.

Reactions: Badlarry12
Hello dkrenik, thank you for your response.

I have been exercising for a while just lifting weights and doing strength workouts and I believe this is put me on the heavy side and killed my cardio along with a mediocre diet.

I am not sure why I would be medically unfit for exercise and what may be the cause of this... Do you know of any routine I can start off with to increase endurance? I have extremely minimal knowledge about cycling.

2.5 years ago, I was in your shoes. I did 6 miles and crashed on the couch for hours. Killed me. I just did a race across the USA.

Avoid intervals for the time being.

Ride at least 5 days per week

Increase time in saddle by 10-15% per week but no more than 20%. Go by time not miles. Rebuild slowly and CONSISTENTLY.

Learn what Z2 or endurance pace is. Use Google. Z2 is hard enough that you are breathing hard but can talk without too much hardship. Spend at least 6 weeks at this level. Increase volume consistently, Keep intensity moderate for a while. Once a 6-8 week base is in place, think about some intervals. Until then, take it a bit easier. You are a mess. Give your body a chance to redirect itself

Hello Weathby thank you for the detailed response.

I also appreciate the brutal honesty, I will try to drop the interval training for now and push for straight endurance. I'll be studying Z2 as well and I can hopefully start it tomorrow. Thanks again. All the advice I can get is deeply appreciated

Hello Weathby thank you for the detailed response.

I also appreciate the brutal honesty, I will try to drop the interval training for now and push for straight endurance. I'll be studying Z2 as well and I can hopefully start it tomorrow. Thanks again. All the advice I can get is deeply appreciated

No Problem

I was ****ed up

Consistency

Build slowly

You can do it

My suggestion if the Progressive resistance training. It's something like you ride 5 miles today and tomorrow you make it 6 and 7 on the next day until your body complains. Don't ride 10 miles even if you are capable of it, start low and progress as you go on. I learned that training from a professional rider that I saw on a tv documentary. He said that the body tends to increase its stamina as you practice in progression.

As Cozens said, you should start slow. Most people will just start with all that energy but they will lose the energy after that. You should ride only if you think you can. If you think you can't ride, don't bother. I think you can ride. That's my suggestion to you.

Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions. I tried Z2 today I went for 6 miles and it wasn't too bad actually. I am setting landmarks so I can go a bit further each time. Great advice from the community thanks everyone. I'll post again in a few months when I get some good results!!

Well I do like the advice that @dkrenik offered to "just ride", and he is right to a certain degree. Twenty miles is a lot though and it seems like you are making quite a jump, but it is doable and it just might need a little more effort and time, which is fine. I would say go step by step and keep pushing yourself a little bit at a time, before you know it you are back to 20 miles.

Well, first make sure that you are healthy and that you are allowed to do strenuous activities. If you are, then don't push yourself too much. Set goals and try to accomplish them but accept your weaknesses and identify them. Try to improve them one by one. Don't rush if there is no need to .

Well, first make sure that you are healthy and that you are allowed to do strenuous activities. If you are, then don't push yourself too much. Set goals and try to accomplish them but accept your weaknesses and identify them. Try to improve them one by one. Don't rush if there is no need to .

Just noticed this thread pop up again and I wanna know how are your results? I've started trying to lose weight as well and I wanna know your progress to inspire me to continue working on my weight. Thanks!

Improving endurance is not an easy task for everyone. Mainly the lungs is the very affected on this kind of activity. Everyday when I woke I started my day with 1 hour and 30 minutes exercise. In such I do more on running activity around the park.

First, you must have a healthy food diet. Check your capability to do heavy duty tasks. Don't force yourself too much to much to do things which seem impossible for you to do. But with consistent training and constant practice, it would be possible. I know you are already doing trainings, so I suggest to pursue it. Don't give up until you gain it.

Don't push your self. Just do the same routine everyday or even every week. start slowly, your body is not the same before, but if you will focus, everything is gonna be ok.

Weight Gainer

Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake .

For more visit..............................................................

But, I feel for some one who is 27 years old 220 LBS I should be able to do at least 5 miles.

This is the line that first struck me. 220lbs at 27 years old really isn't good at all.

I'm not working with a lot of information here, but if you're a male of average height--let's say 5'10"--your weight should be maxing out at 173lbs. If your bodyweight is 20% above average, that is considered obese. If the weight you put on is fat and not sheer muscle, then you're at 27%, which is obviously above the limit.

Your first step should be aiming to lose weight by improving your diet, because I feel that your weight is the number one factor which is hindering your performance. If you drop by this thread again, let us know how you've progressed.

First, you have to make sure you're not just out of shape, so if you're getting tired very fast, then check if your health. If everything is good, then I would suggest you to do some walking or jogging before heading to the bike, make at least 10 minutes every time prior to cycling. You will get your muscles warm and ready to hit the road. Also, try to gain resistance in a progressive way, and increase it weekly not diary.

Top Cycling Training Tips
  1. Set up your bike correctly.
  2. Lighten the load.
  3. Correct kit makes a difference.
  4. Clipless pedals.
  5. Avoid the 'bonk'!
  6. Hydrate properly when cycling.
  7. Go for long rides.
  8. Try biking intervals.