Need training advice

Hello Weathby thank you for the detailed response.

I also appreciate the brutal honesty, I will try to drop the interval training for now and push for straight endurance. I'll be studying Z2 as well and I can hopefully start it tomorrow. Thanks again. All the advice I can get is deeply appreciated
It has now been 3 1/2 years since your cry for help. There were several pieces of good advice - it you CAN'T ride a mile something could be wrong and a doctor's advice would be appropriate. Otherwise yo start with very easy rides and work yourself up. Even the cyclist in the worst condition with a couple of years of training like that can do a century - 100 miles. I am 75 now and have been riding for maybe 40 years and the end of last year entered an event on rolling hills that had about 2,200 people in it and when I crossed the line I was 182nd. Now I am DEFINITELY not fast. But while the other riders would fly by me on the route they would spend a lot of time in the rest stations while I would rest for 5 minutes and carry on. The route wasn't hard but the rest of the riders made it that way by riding so hard. I rode moderately with a fastest speed on the flats of perhaps 17 mph. That is fast for a rooky but not someone that has ridden a lot.

In any case, why don't you give us a report of what happened to you after all of that time?

It has now been 3 1/2 years since your cry for help. There were several pieces of good advice - it you CAN'T ride a mile something could be wrong and a doctor's advice would be appropriate. Otherwise yo start with very easy rides and work yourself up. Even the cyclist in the worst condition with a couple of years of training like that can do a century - 100 miles. I am 75 now and have been riding for maybe 40 years and the end of last year entered an event on rolling hills that had about 2,200 people in it and when I crossed the line I was 182nd. Now I am DEFINITELY not fast. But while the other riders would fly by me on the route they would spend a lot of time in the rest stations while I would rest for 5 minutes and carry on. The route wasn't hard but the rest of the riders made it that way by riding so hard. I rode moderately with a fastest speed on the flats of perhaps 17 mph. That is fast for a rooky but not someone that has ridden a lot.

In any case, why don't you give us a report of what happened to you after all of that time?

He hasn't visited the forum in over 3 years. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a response.

Numerous studies have shown that the weight with which you can manage a maximum of eight to twelve repetitions has the greatest effects on the cross-sectional enlargement of the muscle. Depending on the exercise and performance level, this corresponds to around 60 to 80% of the maximum performance with which a single repetition can be performed. There is often a misconception that you can only build muscle by lifting heavy weights in the gym. Exercises with your own body weight are particularly suitable for strength training beginners to build up muscles. Only from a very high level of strength, or training in the direction of bodybuilding, additional weights are essential for optimal muscle building.:)

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my question.

I am having some issues with endurance and I am wildly out of shape. I can barely finish a mile right now whereas I used to be able to do about 20 a few years ago. Additionally, I haven't been working at my legs or cycling since 2012 as I have been out of the country in an area you'd probably die on a bike.

What can I do to get myself back to doing at least 20 miles?

-I have been trying out interval training, but its gasing me out very quickly and I am getting a huge burn in my quads. I am inching forward however gaining a slight improvement daily. But, I feel for some one who is 27 years old 220 LBS I should be able to do at least 5 miles.

Any advice is useful! Thanks again!
hello

you need to do alot of aerobic exersice not only on bike also by walking in high pace and squats to built up your strength.

intervals right now is not so good for you it just tells you that you are not there yet.

stick to 12 weeks of aerobic rides below 75% of FTPhr and the start to build speed and endurance.

I prefer weight training & its do's and don'ts are as
Weight training do's: Lift an appropriate amount of weight , Use proper form , Breathe , Seek balance , Add strength training in your fitness routine , Rest
Weight training don'ts : Don't skip the warmup , Don't rush, Don't overdo, Don't ignore pain , Don't forget your shoes.

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my question.

I am having some issues with endurance and I am wildly out of shape. I can barely finish a mile right now whereas I used to be able to do about 20 a few years ago. Additionally, I haven't been working at my legs or cycling since 2012 as I have been out of the country in an area you'd probably die on a bike.

What can I do to get myself back to doing at least 20 miles?

-I have been trying out interval training, but its gasing me out very quickly and I am getting a huge burn in my quads. I am inching forward however gaining a slight improvement daily. But, I feel for some one who is 27 years old 220 LBS I should be able to do at least 5 miles.

Any advice is useful! Thanks again!
I just sit on my respawn gaming chairs all day but procrastinate on my dxracer gaming chair all day playing games.
I just think of doing some activity.

Hey there! I appreciate you sharing this info. I've always enjoyed hearing about others' experiences from challenging rides. While I may not always agree with everything, I'm not afraid to debate and discuss cycling topics. So, feel free to share more and let's keep the conversation going!

You're looking to regain your endurance and cover 20 miles again. It's great that you're reaching out for advice.

Firstly, starting slow and steady is key. Gradually increase your distance and intensity to avoid injuries and burnout. Consider a training plan that includes shorter, more frequent rides, gradually building up to longer distances.

Secondly, focus on your cycling form and technique. Proper posture, pedaling, and gear selection can significantly impact your endurance and efficiency.

Lastly, cross-training and strength training can help improve your overall fitness and bike handling skills. Incorporating exercises that target your core, legs, and upper body will help build a solid foundation for your cycling.

What type of bike are you riding? If you're on an older Kona Lava Dome frame, you might consider updating it with a suspension fork to improve ride height and comfort. Would you like more information on this topic?

Hmm, it sounds like you're facing quite a challenge. It's impressive that you used to be able to do 20 miles! Have you considered starting with smaller goals and gradually building up your endurance? Perhaps try biking a mile or two every day for a week, then increase the distance by a mile or two each week? And have you thought about incorporating some strength training for your legs to help build up your stamina? Just some curious thoughts from an interested observer. ;)