Need used road bike but i'm a complete noob!

hemp4life

Sep 4, 2009
Hey guys I'm in the market for a used road bike I can use to get too school, the farmers market and maybe do some competitions if I really get into it. My price range is anywhere from 300-700 maybe a tad more if i find a really *****in deal, I'm 6'2" and weigh about 150-160. I know next to nothing about bikes so just let me know some good used models to look out for or what size i need. I'm not afraid of slightly upgrading/customizing so i would be interested in maybe getting a beater i can upgrade (any guides to building/customizing road bikes?). So just throw me some suggestions so i can start searching :)

I was in your position not too long ago! My wife and I got Trek steel frame bikes from the early eighties to see if we would even like the road bikes(we were riding Hybrid bikes at the time). My wifes bike came from a yard sale for $10!! I purchased mine through a member of this forum. If you go this route, you can always update the bike when and if you are ready to get more serious into the racing thing! I will let "alfeng" or another of the more experienced cyclist on here give you their opinion, as I am fairly new myself. Just giving you something to think about. Oh, and these bikes you can get reasonably! Welcome and good luck in your search!:)

hemp4life said:
I'm 6'2" and weigh about 150-160.
At 6'2 you'd probably be happy on a bike in the 59-62 cm range. That's about 23.3-24.7 in inches, generally measured along the seat tube from the center of the crank bearing (bottom bracket) to the top of the clamp. Fitting a bike to a tall guy requires that you

a) be able to straddle the top tube comfortably.

b) be able to raise the saddle high enough so that your knee is nearly straight at the bottom of the crank stroke.

c) be able to raise the handlebar to a level that is comfortable for you; that may be so the top is level with the saddle but generally no more than 3 inches lower than the saddle. Tall riders with long arms can usually handle more drop than shorter folks.

d) finally, when in the cruising position with hands on the brake hoods, your upper arm should be at roughly a 90-degree angle with your torso when viewed in profile.

There are lots of great old bikes hiding under rocks. The best way to find a good one is to find one that fits reasonably well and then do some research on it. Or bring along a knowledgeable friend.

If you'd like more technical fitting details, or information about a specific bike, send me a personal message and I'll be glad to fill you in.

Consider buying a used bike (no older than several years) from one of the major manufacturers (Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Fuji, et al.) and you won't go wrong. All the bikes will be pretty good for your application. They will be the lower end models, but those will be perfect to start out with.

At your price point (stay at the top end), you should be looking for 8 or 9 speeds (the number of cogs on the rear wheel cassette) and integrated shifting (shifting incorporated into the brake levers).

I would definitely stay away from the "beater" bikes - more trouble (and money in the long run) than they're worth...

Lastly, do some research and educate yourself...