need warm gloves

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
When it comes to the cold I suffer in the finger department. Who makes a warm wind blocking glove that isn't overly bulky? Thanks in advance,

JS

jrstevens said:
When it comes to the cold I suffer in the finger department. Who makes a warm wind blocking glove that isn't overly bulky? Thanks in advance,

JS
One thing that divers find out right away is that mitts are much warmer than gloves. If you ski or snowboard you know that mittens are better than gloves for keeping your fingers warm. It's all the same, no matter what you do. I have found that the warmest thing for biking is the Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves. It's a nice cross between mittens and gloves and they are fine for shifting, braking, and even toggling the buttons on the computers. Not too bulky and they give your fingers a good chance to keep each other warm. There are other manufacturers of the "lobster" type glove, as well. If you want regular gloves that keep your fingers warm, they are almost always bulky, by definition.

jrstevens said:

JS

Find some winter gloves that have Dupont Thinsulate insulation. They are not as bulky as regular winter gloves. I happen to use leather gloves that are insulated with Thinsulate when it's cold enough to bother my fingers. More importantly, get a Thinsulate skull cap that covers your ears and neck underneath your helmet. The body attempts to regulate the brain temperature so closely that when the head is cold the rest of the body becomes colder to keep the blood flowing in the head. I would go to a baclava covering my face as well when it's well below freezing since riding a bike creates it's own wind chill factor which can make cold weather brutal.

Insight Driver said:
Find some winter gloves that have Dupont Thinsulate insulation. They are not as bulky as regular winter gloves. I happen to use leather gloves that are insulated with Thinsulate when it's cold enough to bother my fingers. More importantly, get a Thinsulate skull cap that covers your ears and neck underneath your helmet. The body attempts to regulate the brain temperature so closely that when the head is cold the rest of the body becomes colder to keep the blood flowing in the head. I would go to a baclava covering my face as well when it's well below freezing since riding a bike creates it's own wind chill factor which can make cold weather brutal.
Thinsulate is actually 3M's product.
DuPont had several comparable products (notably Thermolite), but the majority of DuPont's performance textile fibers business (Coolmax, Thermolite, Thermoloft, Cordura, some Dacron, Stainmaster, etc) was spun off into Invista which was subsequently sold to Koch Industries this past year.

But they work just was well, no matter who owns them!;)

If it isn't too cold out, I've been happy with my Gore Windstopper gloves. Very effective at keeping the wind off the fingers without a lot of bulk. For the cold days, my Pearl Izumi gloves go on. Of course, around Seattle, cold is about 40F.

Middle of summer here, 36(C) on Saturday. I got mine from Damart for about $20.

typ993 said:
If it isn't too cold out, I've been happy with my Gore Windstopper gloves. Very effective at keeping the wind off the fingers without a lot of bulk. For the cold days, my Pearl Izumi gloves go on. Of course, around Seattle, cold is about 40F.
Okay one of the gloves I've been looking at are the Gore Windstopper. so they're not very warm at temps below 40. the guy at the LBS highly recommended them but I wasn't sure how they'd perform under truly cold conditions. here in Colorado it's not unusual to end up riding in temps in the high 20's low 30's particularly if you wind up climbing to 8000ft so a warm glove is essential

JS

Anyone use these. they're a half mitten and have the Thinsulate fabric another poster mentioned.

Louis Garneau® Ergo Air Vulcano Gloves

Hey, me too. I got a pair of Pearl Isumi AmFibs for Christmas. I use them for days when the air temps gets down below 45 F. Above that, they are overkill for me. I have used a buddy's on rides down into the single digits and they were actually toasty. They are pretty beefy though and I have to take them off to do any detail work.

rule62 said:
Hey, me too. I got a pair of Pearl Isumi AmFibs for Christmas. I use them for days when the air temps gets down below 45 F. Above that, they are overkill for me. I have used a buddy's on rides down into the single digits and they were actually toasty. They are pretty beefy though and I have to take them off to do any detail work.
it would appear in order to save my digits that the sensible route to take is a bulkier glove. that's fine I was just hoping to get by with something light but finger warmth is more important. Thanks for everyone's input on this

JS

gclark8 said:
Gloves, Damart, Thermolactyl. On 3 degree mornings, these are so warm.
oh I thought Damart was the Australian equivalent for Walmart; my bad.

JS

Damart is the french thermal undies comppany. :rolleyes:

K-Mart is the el-cheapo store for all the rubbish. :eek:

A mistake I made when I chose my current "warm" gloves was I accepted a pair of black gloves. Since I only need the long fingered gloves when it's cold and wet and usually dark, I should have chosen something more reflective.