Need Wide Pedals for big feet help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by -, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a size 11 4E foot looking for a set of widest platform pedals to run
    powergrip toe straps over on my cannondale speed bike. Any and all
    suggestions appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I have a size 11 4E foot looking for a set of widest platform pedals to run
    > powergrip toe straps over on my cannondale speed bike. Any and all
    > suggestions appreciated.

    I don't know which MTB "platform" pedals of the type powergrips are
    built with in mind are widest (my guess is that you're not going to
    find any more than a few mm wider than any other), but there are quite
    a few horseshoe-shaped BMX-ish pedals like odyssey shark bites that are
    a bit wider than MTB pedals and have cages that are very similar and
    would probably work with powergrips. Drilling your own holes for them
    would be simple in such a pedal if they don't come with holes in
    workable spots. Another idea would be taking a chunky aluminum BMX
    pedal like a primo tenderizer and tapping holes in it.

    I think one of the problems you may run into is that many people with
    large but not unusually wide feet find they have to clamp the largest
    size powergrips at their very ends for a fit. i'm size 12 and mine have
    barely any strap past the clamp with typical wellgo mtb pedals.

  3. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    Conincidentally, I am a size 11/4E too, and I have some bad news for
    you: No true platform pedal is going to serve you. However, of the
    countless pairs of pedals I've owned, only one fit me flawlessly:

    The MKS Touring model
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html

    BTW, I only run conventional toe clips on these, so your mileage may
    vary with those PowerGrips.

  4. Guest

    I'm currently running the MKS GR-9's - they provide a great deal of foot
    pain on long rides with my canvas converse high tops , I'll look into the
    touring ones. The power grips are at the largest setting for my feet but
    they work extremely well. Question, what type of shoes are you running. I
    know they used to sell hard bottom shoes for touring but I doubt if in our
    size :(

    "Adam Rush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Conincidentally, I am a size 11/4E too, and I have some bad news for
    > you: No true platform pedal is going to serve you. However, of the
    > countless pairs of pedals I've owned, only one fit me flawlessly:
    >
    > The MKS Touring model
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html
    >
    > BTW, I only run conventional toe clips on these, so your mileage may
    > vary with those PowerGrips.

  5. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    My shoes are just New Balance sneakers. There's nothing particularly
    special about them, hard or soft. Also, there are exactly zero pairs
    of shoes for people like us, unless you want to spend $300+.

    I highly recommend moving on up to the MKS Touring pedals and, perhaps,
    traditional toe clips. This suits me better than anything else I've
    tried.

  6. have you experience plywood?
    at 14W, i bought nashbar bear traps and bolted ply both sides with 8's
    held by the
    traps teeth.
    Comfort: the extra width allows the hips to motion in a more "natural"
    orbit with off course a slight decrease in forward speed upwind. this
    is a big deal- narrowness may be steel costs savings and not anyhing
    but
    the mod takes no more than two hours to hack out.cut four squares.clamp

    together and sabresaw as one. drill ditto. paint with yellow rusto.
    and when crossing the 4 wide express blvd in a wide upstream arc
    keep that inside foot up!!

  7. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a size 11 4E foot looking for a set of widest platform pedals to run
    > powergrip toe straps over on my cannondale speed bike. Any and all
    > suggestions appreciated.

    Have you considered Kneesavers? http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm
    Baaically these allow you to move your pedals farther out from the crank
    arms, giving you more clearance for bigger feet.

  8. Guest

    That's a great suggestion, my feet do rub the cranks when peddaling! The
    other suggestion of some sort of wood is worth looking into also. I tried
    the french christophe toe clips in X large and the straps are just too
    short, also the toe ends are not wide enough for me.
    Thank You!

    news:[email protected]