Need your advice on carrying camera gear on a biking adventure

On Mar 11, 8:30 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jerome Ranch wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:50:12 -0500, Tom Sherman
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Jerome Ranch wrote:
> >> <http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm>.

> > I can see me now.....
> > camera slung around my neck,
> > riding with head held high,
> > stop for that magic picture moment,
> > have a comfortable STABLE seat (a tripod actually, with two feet and
> > butt solidly positioned),
> > snap up the camera,
> > shoot,
> > then motor on.
> >

> Yes, that should be possible.
>
> > Panniers should work on this model, yes?
> >

> RANS offers a rear rack and fenders for their CF models:
> <http://www.shoprans.com/products.asp?cat=20> and
> <http://www.shoprans.com/products.asp?cat=20&pg=2>.
>
> > You know the one thing that does freak me about ths trip is that I'll
> > be exposed to the wolves, bear and elk.
> >

> Bear spray would be prudent. Most of these animals will want to avoid
> humans, so a bell on the bicycle to let them know you are coming would
> not be a bad idea.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

For quick use of the camera and bear spray, get a Bento Box. It sits
on the top tube behind the handle bars, tied to both with a velcro
strap. If you can't find one large enough, you could put velcro
straps on a soft sided 6-pack cooler.

http://www.tniusa.com/products/bento-box.html
http://www.polardiscount.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=109
http://www.amazon.com/TNi-Bento-Box-Large/dp/B0001IXAGC

I got a SunRay
http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html

Of all the semi-recumbents I rode (6 of em), this model had the best
handling.

And for carrying the camera, a friend let me try his Tamrac Velocity.
I liked it, and got the Velocity 7
http://www.tamrac.com/5747.htm
I can swing it 'round to my chest when I ride.

Now I need to figure out how to mount my honking big (and $$) tripod.

Thanks for the advice and feedback folks.

Jerry

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:03:00 GMT, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:

>I got a SunRay
>http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html

>Of all the semi-recumbents I rode (6 of em), this model had the best
>handling.

Warning! Beware of that web site. It is one of the obnoxious ones that
resizes your browser to full screen, which you can't easy resize back, as
the bottom in under the taskbar. I quickly left the site before find any
recumbents.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:03:35 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:03:00 GMT, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I got a SunRay
>>http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html

>>Of all the semi-recumbents I rode (6 of em), this model had the best
>>handling.

> Warning! Beware of that web site. It is one of the obnoxious ones that
> resizes your browser to full screen, which you can't easy resize back,
> as the bottom in under the taskbar. I quickly left the site before find
> any recumbents.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Which browser were you using?
I tried this site with Firefox and Konqueror. No resizing in either
case! Firefox worked perfectly, though Konqueror had trouble with the
advanced animations.
Incidently, I put my taskbar on auto-hide, so that buttons under there
don't stay under there.

Peter

--
The Kiwi bird is very aptly New Zealand's national emblem.
It is a bird which cannot fly.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Peter Keller <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:03:35 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:03:00 GMT, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I got a SunRay
>>>http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html

>>>Of all the semi-recumbents I rode (6 of em), this model had the best
>>>handling.

>> Warning! Beware of that web site. It is one of the obnoxious ones that
>> resizes your browser to full screen, which you can't easy resize back,
>> as the bottom in under the taskbar. I quickly left the site before find
>> any recumbents.

>Which browser were you using?
>I tried this site with Firefox and Konqueror. No resizing in either
>case! Firefox worked perfectly, though Konqueror had trouble with the
>advanced animations.

Firefox.

>Incidently, I put my taskbar on auto-hide, so that buttons under there
>don't stay under there.

I don't like auto-hide. In my case I was able to drag the window over to my
second monitor and that doesn't have a taskbar, so I was able to get to the
lower right corner and resize it back.