Need your advice on carrying camera gear on a biking adventure

Jerome Ranch

Guest
Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be

What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.
I was going to get a Pelican case and bolt it on top of the pannier
rack. Some folks ahve said the vibration from this will destroy the
camera, and that the center of gravity will be too high, and make me
subject to flopping over. They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
won't that make the center of gravity even higher? And the Pelican
case has a very stout foam support inside it.

I presume I'll be getting on and off frequently for pictures. I will
carry proper snacks and H20, and maybe changes in clothes, first aid,
minimal repair tools and air pump, but not much else. I'll be at the
lodge each evening.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks
Jerry

"Jerome Ranch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
> you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
> rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
> pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
> first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
> go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
> seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be
>

> What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
> lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.
> I was going to get a Pelican case and bolt it on top of the pannier
> rack. Some folks ahve said the vibration from this will destroy the
> camera, and that the center of gravity will be too high, and make me
> subject to flopping over. They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
> the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
> won't that make the center of gravity even higher? And the Pelican
> case has a very stout foam support inside it.
>

> I presume I'll be getting on and off frequently for pictures. I will
> carry proper snacks and H20, and maybe changes in clothes, first aid,
> minimal repair tools and air pump, but not much else. I'll be at the
> lodge each evening.
>
> What are your suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

If you're stopping frequently for pictures, maybe unlatching the Pelican
case, extracting the camera body, fitting a lens, and then going through the
same process in reverse will drive you crazy after a while. I'd go with the
camera backpack.
(1) The camera body and lenses would weigh ..what? A pound or two apiece?
This is not going to weigh your shoulders down or interfere with your
breathing. Many mountain bikers carry 10 pounds of water in a Camelbak.
(2) Those few pounds will move along with the rest of your body mass as you
shift your weight to balance the bike. It won't be like you were carrying
all your worldly goods in a full size hikers backpack.
(3) It's true that your arms and legs will be the shock absorbers.
(4) If you want to walk some way to a vantage point you just grab your
tripod in one hand and when you get there all your lens choices and camera
are there in the backpack.
(5) You don't say what sort of bike you have or if your rack is a seatpost
beam type or a full rack attached to frame eyelets or adaptors. If possible,
a cheap pair of panniers will carry extra water and the rest of you gear
down low where it should be. I think the extra water will be very important.

PH

Peter
What you say makes sense.
Actually, what I was going to do, was drill mounting holes in the
Pelican case and mount it to the pannier (probably heresy to some..why
void the warranty on a perfectly goo Pelican case). I would need to
open the case and withdraw what I needed for each stop. You got me
thinking more about that, and thats a pretty bonehead idea. The last
time I was at the GC I had a much heavier backpack as I was carrying
the camera gear AND water, AND clothes, because I was on foot. I was
recollecting that adventure. But you're correct, reserve my camera
backpack (specialized for camera gear) for the camera gear ONLY, and
carry the rest in saddlebags.

Then, I'm footloose

Thanks Peter

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:58:33 GMT, "Peter Howard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jerome Ranch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
>> you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
>> rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
>> pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
>> first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
>> go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
>> seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be
>>

>> What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
>> lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.
>> I was going to get a Pelican case and bolt it on top of the pannier
>> rack. Some folks ahve said the vibration from this will destroy the
>> camera, and that the center of gravity will be too high, and make me
>> subject to flopping over. They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
>> the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
>> won't that make the center of gravity even higher? And the Pelican
>> case has a very stout foam support inside it.
>>

>> I presume I'll be getting on and off frequently for pictures. I will
>> carry proper snacks and H20, and maybe changes in clothes, first aid,
>> minimal repair tools and air pump, but not much else. I'll be at the
>> lodge each evening.
>>
>> What are your suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jerry

>If you're stopping frequently for pictures, maybe unlatching the Pelican
>case, extracting the camera body, fitting a lens, and then going through the
>same process in reverse will drive you crazy after a while. I'd go with the
>camera backpack.
>(1) The camera body and lenses would weigh ..what? A pound or two apiece?
>This is not going to weigh your shoulders down or interfere with your
>breathing. Many mountain bikers carry 10 pounds of water in a Camelbak.
>(2) Those few pounds will move along with the rest of your body mass as you
>shift your weight to balance the bike. It won't be like you were carrying
>all your worldly goods in a full size hikers backpack.
>(3) It's true that your arms and legs will be the shock absorbers.
>(4) If you want to walk some way to a vantage point you just grab your
>tripod in one hand and when you get there all your lens choices and camera
>are there in the backpack.
>(5) You don't say what sort of bike you have or if your rack is a seatpost
>beam type or a full rack attached to frame eyelets or adaptors. If possible,
>a cheap pair of panniers will carry extra water and the rest of you gear
>down low where it should be. I think the extra water will be very important.
>
>PH

I'm getting a new bike, not just for this, but for my general biking
about town for exercise. I won't be going on RAGBRAI.

My local pro bike shop has me set up with a Cannondale Adventure (with
some added options)..I haven't purchased it yet - been using my older
Schwinn mountain bike for tooling around. The mountain bike isn't very
efficient, but its great for cardio. Whatever bike I get, I have to
have my hands more upright, as when I lean forward on bikes with
racing style handles, my carpal tunnel hurts like mad and its not very
enjoyable. I need to have a bike where most of the weigth is on the
butt.

I'm sure there are better bikes, and I could spend more, but this one
seemed like a good compromise between efficiency and cost

Jerry

>(5) You don't say what sort of bike you have or if your rack is a seatpost
>beam type or a full rack attached to frame eyelets or adaptors. If possible,
>a cheap pair of panniers will carry extra water and the rest of you gear
>down low where it should be. I think the extra water will be very important.

"Jerome Ranch" e\wrote: (clip) They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
> the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
> won't that make the center of gravity even higher? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First of all, let me say I envy your ride.

It is true the center of gravity will be higher with a back pack, but the
effect is not worse, because you are not rigidly attached to the bike. Your
body can change position with respect to the bike, so leaning doesn't throw
you off balance. IOW, it's not the same as putting sandbags in the crow's
next of a sailboat.

On the plus side, having the camera on your back protects it from the small
vibrations that are transmitted to the frame, and also it is protected by
your knees from big bumps. I like the idea that you can get off the bike
and walk to your "photo-op" without dipping into your other luggage.

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:57:31 GMT, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
>you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
>rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
>pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
>first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
>go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
>seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be

I have bicycled and taken pictures for years. Bicycles have progressed from
rented ones to bringing along my own folding bike:
http://www.dahon.com/us/glidep8.htm (without the basket)
It is a fun bike to ride.

>What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
>lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.

My cameras have progressed from a point-and-shoot (in a small waist pack)
to a Nikon DSLR with two lens. I use a Tamrac 5627 case on a LowePro belt.
I attach LowePro cases onto the belt for the other lens, and maybe a
strobe. If I were to carry a third lens I would probably use the Tamrac
5765.

Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores> (e-mail link at page bottom).

>First of all, let me say I envy your ride.

Well, ostensibly, I'm driving from home (Des Moines) to Tucson for a
professional meeting (in the van). I have a sister-in-law and family
there, so we'll bike Saguaro too.

So I drive from Tuscon N on I-17.

I was going to squeeze Sedona in, but I've dropped that off the list
for touring. I've been there enough for the time being, and I want to
see some new places. I'll probably drop in for a few hours or so for
good karma at Cresent Moon Ranch park, and grab some pizza and beer at
Picazzo pizza on highway 89A.

I'd love to bike through Sunset Crater and Wupatki .. what a great
trip that would be. Nice because all the times I've been there, I've
seen maybe 4 cars??? And it's relatively flat too. But I'm not doing
that this time. I will drive through it.

Off to the GC instead.

Then, off NE to Monument Valley, as I really want to bike down US163
(where Forrest Gump ran down, remember?). No biking there probably,
but I have a Navajo guide hired to take me around on jeep to hit the
most memorable photo opportunities during sunrise and sunset.

Then off North to Moab, and three days or so at the northeast section
of Canyonlands and most of Arches.

Then east through Gunnison CO and the high Rockies to Colorado
Springs.

Then its a straight shot down I-80 back to Des Moines.

Is it whirlwind? Yes. Only two to three days at each location. I
have it planned in Griswald-like precision, not usually what I do, but
I want to catch as much as I can so I know what to plan for more
detail in future bike/photo trips. This is my 5th trip to the GC in 4
years. First time on bike. I never get tired of it.

I'm biking primarily for health and efficiency. The old ticker needs
exercise (had a bypass and stents already), and with the arthritis I
have in my big toes, I can't enjoy walking anymore. So I resurrected
my biking. My daughters sister-in-law is a marathoner and biker, and
she gave me one of her bikes to try out (it has good Karma too as
she's had it several times on RAGBRAI). I'll get clearance from my
cardiologist to do the trip. Already got many of the tests done.

So thats my trip this summer, starting in mid June.

Just remembered, I need to buy my National Park Pass yet !!

Now I've been a photographer for many years, but when Kodak dropped
Kodachrome 25 about 10 years ago, I stopped shooting. I love
Kodachrome. Well, last year I went over to the darkside, broke down
and bought a Nikon D80. I am having a blast. And, believe it or not,
I've found the last remaining lab in the US that processes Kodachrome.
I have about 200 rolls of 36 exposure K25. So I'll be able to capture
this four corners landscape on probably the most perfect film for that
task.

I've planned this for a year, as most of the lodging reservations had
to have been made quite a while ago. Even a year ago, El Tovar was
booked for the trip this summer So I'm staying at Bright Angel Lodge
at the GC instead.

Jerry

Don

I have the Tamrac Expedition 5

http://www.tamrac.com/5575.htm

I think this will more that meet my needs (it might be too big based
on what you carry)

I'll bring a D80, three lenses, SB800 and one of my Nikon film bodies
+ one lens, too. Some filters.

Tripod/monopod(s) is on the bike somehow, secured with bungees?

I was hesistant when the suggestion of using a backpack for the camera
gear was first mentioned, because in previous years when I used this
pack at the GC, it was nearing 60 lbs..not something I'd want to bike
around with on my back. But then I was using it for cameras AND
cloths AND water AND food..and I was walking. Now I see the value in
using this pack ONLY for immediate use camera gear. Everything else,
including extra camera stuff goes into saddlebags of some sort. Get
off the bike, backpack goes along, and I don't have to root around the
saddlebags (or Pelican case) for stuff.

Great idea

Do you think the Expedition 5 is too much? I promise not to overload
it !

Thanks
Jerry

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:26:08 GMT, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>>My cameras have progressed from a point-and-shoot (in a small waist pack)
>>to a Nikon DSLR with two lens. I use a Tamrac 5627 case on a LowePro belt.
>>I attach LowePro cases onto the belt for the other lens, and maybe a
>>strobe. If I were to carry a third lens I would probably use the Tamrac
>>5765.

>I have the Tamrac Expedition 5
>http://www.tamrac.com/5575.htm
>
>I think this will more that meet my needs (it might be too big based
>on what you carry)

It is way, way too big. Not just for what I carry, but for what I might
carry in the future. I bought the http://www.tamrac.com/5765.htm, but when
it arrived it was bigger than I expected. I have kept it, figuring at some
point I'll want to also carry a decent telephoto. The two lenses I carry
now are the 12-24 and the 18-200. The quality of the latter isn't really so
great, but allows me to carry less lenses. I tend to take wide angle
pictures, but on my last trip there were a lot of birds and the 300
equivalent telephoto wasn't enough. So a 80-400 would make a nice addition.
Then the 5765 case would make sense.

I have already lined up an upgrade to the D400 when it comes out. (I had my
D300 the day after it came out.) I expect the D400 to be full frame. This
will require a lens adjustment. The wide angle will switch to the 14-24.
And then switch the 18-200 to something that covers between the 24-80 gap.
Or keep the 18-200 for parades. It's great to do an entire parade without
switching a lens.

>I'll bring a D80, three lenses, SB800 and one of my Nikon film bodies
>+ one lens, too. Some filters.

Actually I've never brought along my SB800 on a trip. I use it mostly
locally for parades. Thinking about this now, when I make it to Trinidad's
Carnival I should bring it along.

I don't take filters. I don't have any. But then I'm not also bringing
along a film camera. All my pictures are taken for the web. I do not have a
color printer. Being for the web I accept a lower quality.

>Tripod/monopod(s) is on the bike somehow, secured with bungees?

I don't carry either of these. I bought a monopod, but then I've never
brought it along. I simply hand hold everything, including my panoramas. My
bike has a rack, so I could use bungee cords.

On Mar 8, 5:57 pm, Jerome Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
> you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
> rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
> pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
> first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
> go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
> seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be
>
> What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
> lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.
> I was going to get a Pelican case and bolt it on top of the pannier
> rack. Some folks ahve said the vibration from this will destroy the
> camera, and that the center of gravity will be too high, and make me
> subject to flopping over. They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
> the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
> won't that make the center of gravity even higher? And the Pelican
> case has a very stout foam support inside it.
>
> I presume I'll be getting on and off frequently for pictures. I will
> carry proper snacks and H20, and maybe changes in clothes, first aid,
> minimal repair tools and air pump, but not much else. I'll be at the
> lodge each evening.
>
> What are your suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1314 is
shock resistant (5 ft drop), Water resistant (10ft) Freeze resistant
(14F) Sand Dust resistant. Very light weight, I dangle it on a
Lanyard for on bike photos and videos.

Wrist pain? Have you been properly fitted? Or you could get a
recumbent. A 29 inch mountain bike will get you off the paved trails
better than a 26 inch mountain bike. An xtracycle.com can carry a lot
of cargo for extended trips far from a grocery store.

"Jerome Ranch" (clip) Tripod/monopod(s) is on the bike somehow, secured with
bungees? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you considered using the bicycle itself as your tripod? You could put
a small ballhead onto a short seatpost stub, or use a hose clamp to hold it
elsewhere on the bike. Also, there are various small clamps that will allow
you to hold the camera on a fence, tree limb or your bicycle. One of my
favorites is a tripod with plastic legs consisting of strings of ball and
socket joints, This can be set up as a tripod, or held on any convenient
support by wrapping the legs.

A very compact substitute for a monopod can be made by attaching a chain to
the bottom of the camera. Step on it with one foot and pull up.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008, Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you considered using the bicycle itself as your tripod? You could put
>a small ballhead onto a short seatpost stub, or use a hose clamp to hold it
>elsewhere on the bike.

Rarely are the best picture locations on the road/bike path. One usually
drops the bike and walks to the best spot.

"Jerome Ranch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thsi summer I plan to ride the South Rim of the GC..not down it, mind
> you, but I'll follow the various paved trails and roadways along the
> rim. This is for photo safari, so I'll be stopping frequently for
> pictures. This is my 6th trip to the GC in the past 5 years, but the
> first on bike. Although I always take my camera, now I know where to
> go, and and what time, for the best photo opportunities, and the bike
> seemed like the best conveyence to get me where I needed to be
>

> What is the best way to carry the gear. Got a Nikon D80, probably 3
> lenses, and a strobe unit. I can carry the tripods etc onthe frame.
> I was going to get a Pelican case and bolt it on top of the pannier
> rack. Some folks ahve said the vibration from this will destroy the
> camera, and that the center of gravity will be too high, and make me
> subject to flopping over. They suggest a camera backpack. They claim
> the vibrations will be much less. I think I understand that, but
> won't that make the center of gravity even higher? And the Pelican
> case has a very stout foam support inside it.
>

> I presume I'll be getting on and off frequently for pictures. I will
> carry proper snacks and H20, and maybe changes in clothes, first aid,
> minimal repair tools and air pump, but not much else. I'll be at the
> lodge each evening.
>
> What are your suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

Hi Jerry

I've had a good result from my Lowepro Offtrail
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Off-Trail-1,1980,7.htm
pack. It carries my D70 with 3 lenses, filters, batteries etc and still
leaves your back free for a daypack/hydrapack. The other advantage is you
can leave the sidepods behind or in a backpack if you know you're not going
to need them.

Cheers
Blueroo

"Jerome Ranch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting a new bike, not just for this, but for my general biking
> about town for exercise. I won't be going on RAGBRAI.
>
> My local pro bike shop has me set up with a Cannondale Adventure (with
> some added options)..I haven't purchased it yet - been using my older
> Schwinn mountain bike for tooling around. The mountain bike isn't very
> efficient, but its great for cardio. Whatever bike I get, I have to
> have my hands more upright, as when I lean forward on bikes with
> racing style handles, my carpal tunnel hurts like mad and its not very
> enjoyable. I need to have a bike where most of the weigth is on the
> butt.
>
> I'm sure there are better bikes, and I could spend more, but this one
> seemed like a good compromise between efficiency and cost
>
> Jerry
>

>>(5) You don't say what sort of bike you have or if your rack is a seatpost
>>beam type or a full rack attached to frame eyelets or adaptors. If
>>possible,
>>a cheap pair of panniers will carry extra water and the rest of you gear
>>down low where it should be. I think the extra water will be very
>>important.

Can't comment on the camera gear (others have done that further down the
thread) beyond saying that I looked up the Nikon D80 and it looks like a
mouthwateringly good bit of gear.
I can talk about bikes though and your proposed Cannondale Adventure,
whichever one of the various Adventure models it is, seems as good as any
for the GC job and for exercise and grocery store runs when you're at home.
There's all sorts of discussions you can get into about correct positioning
on a bike and how it's A Bad Thing to put most of the weight on your butt.
However, as an older cyclist myself, if the choice is between keeping on
cycling or giving it up because I can't emulate the ideal posture of a 20
year old, I'll choose to keep on cycling. Flat hybrid bars certainly get you
more upright but they remove one feature of drop bars which is being able to
vary your hand position.

Might I suggest you look at Jeff Jones's H-bar design, originally in
titanium from Jeff Jones but now in a licenced knock-off from Titec. It can
be seen at
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16092-195_TITHH7-3-Parts-429-29er-Parts/Titec-H-Bar.htm
for Titecs version or at http://www.jonesbikes.com/update/hbar/index.html
for Jones's original design and good pictures of the alternate hand
positions. The alloy Titec version is fairly affordable, it will accept the
MTB style levers and shifters on the Cannondale and your cables may even be
long enough. I have a Titec version on my Giant MTB which allows a very
natural upright hand position on the grips and the option of getting forward
onto the horns for variety or headwinds.

You could also consider the Nitto Albatross handle bar which you can see in
one place at http://store.somafab.com/nialbarcr.html . Otherwise, just
google Nitto Albatross or go to
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/handlebars_stems_and_tape#product=none
to vist their biggest partisan.
I have Albatross bars on another bike. They take MTB type levers and
shifters. Once again, a natural upright hand position or you can get forward
onto the bends which should be bar-taped for grip.
One tiny problem I found with both bars was not quite enough straight grip
area for my rather bulky Shimano trigger shifters, plus levers plus longish
lock-on grips. Answer was grafting on a 25 mm extension to each bar end with
bits cut from junkheap bars, a couple of wood dowels and lots of epoxy. It's
only 25mm so strength is not an issue.

Just some thoughts. In my opinion, when manufacturers embraced the flat-bar
hybrid, they didn't go far enough towards providing bars that are
comfortable for beings with human sleletons..
Cheers,
PH

I fact, I do have this pack. I hadn't considered it because I was
concerned there would be insufficient room. I'm thinking only 2
lenses now, 18-200 VR and 60 mm micro, the other sidecar for the
strobe.

Jerry

>Hi Jerry
>
>I've had a good result from my Lowepro Offtrail
>http://products.lowepro.com/product/Off-Trail-1,1980,7.htm
>pack. It carries my D70 with 3 lenses, filters, batteries etc and still
>leaves your back free for a daypack/hydrapack. The other advantage is you
>can leave the sidepods behind or in a backpack if you know you're not going
>to need them.
>
>Cheers
>Blueroo

I like the Albatross Peter. Thanks for the lead

Hey, I'm touring, I want my head UP so's I can see the world before
me. The Schwinn I have from my sister-in-law has a flat bar, and
steering is difficult to control as well.

Jerry

Jerome Ranch wrote:
> I like the Albatross Peter. Thanks for the lead
>
> Hey, I'm touring, I want my head UP so's I can see the world before
> me. The Schwinn I have from my sister-in-law has a flat bar, and
> steering is difficult to control as well.

If you want a bicycle for touring that is really heads up, but with
greater comfort over distance than the "hybrid" position offers:
<http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm>.

Cool Tom, and theres a dealer a mile or so from where I work. I think
I stop by tomorrow
Jerry

>If you want a bicycle for touring that is really heads up, but with
>greater comfort over distance than the "hybrid" position offers:
><http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm>.

Man, the more I see this bike the more I like it.

One aspect that I really really like is that when you stop, both feet
can be flat on the ground.

I can see me now.....
camera slung around my neck,
riding with head held high,
stop for that magic picture moment,
have a comfortable STABLE seat (a tripod actually, with two feet and
butt solidly positioned),
snap up the camera,
shoot,
then motor on.

Panniers should work on this model, yes?

You know the one thing that does freak me about ths trip is that I'll
be exposed to the wolves, bear and elk.

Jerry

Jerome Ranch wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:50:12 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Jerome Ranch wrote:
>>> I like the Albatross Peter. Thanks for the lead
>>>
>>> Hey, I'm touring, I want my head UP so's I can see the world before
>>> me. The Schwinn I have from my sister-in-law has a flat bar, and
>>> steering is difficult to control as well.
>>>

>> If you want a bicycle for touring that is really heads up, but with
>> greater comfort over distance than the "hybrid" position offers:
>> <http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik07.htm>.

> Man, the more I see this bike the more I like it.

I have been the happy owner of a RANS Rocket for the last 7 years, so I
feel confident recommending the company.

> One aspect that I really really like is that when you stop, both feet
> can be flat on the ground.

I believe that was one of the reason why Randy Schlitter (RANS
proprietor) started making the crank forward (CF) geometry was the
ability of the rider to put both feet down while seated.

In fact, I have seen newbie cyclists with their seats adjusted way too
low for this reason. :(

> I can see me now.....
> camera slung around my neck,
> riding with head held high,
> stop for that magic picture moment,
> have a comfortable STABLE seat (a tripod actually, with two feet and
> butt solidly positioned),
> snap up the camera,
> shoot,
> then motor on.

Yes, that should be possible.

> Panniers should work on this model, yes?

RANS offers a rear rack and fenders for their CF models:
<http://www.shoprans.com/products.asp?cat=20> and
<http://www.shoprans.com/products.asp?cat=20&pg=2>.

> You know the one thing that does freak me about ths trip is that I'll
> be exposed to the wolves, bear and elk.

Bear spray would be prudent. Most of these animals will want to avoid
humans, so a bell on the bicycle to let them know you are coming would
not be a bad idea.