Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Need your opinion on 2 bikes

Started by stefs · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,018 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 October 2006
Last activity
26 October 2006
Original author
stefs
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,018
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all, I have a TREK 2006 5200. Which is nice

    I want to have a secondary bike and was looking for a cheaper bike.

    Look at those 2 links.

    cgi.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

    bikesdirect.comlechamp07 sl preorders.htm

    I think that just the Ultegra group and the wheels are worth the price. Is there something I don't see to be at such a low price?

    I don't know about the frame. Anyone could tell me if they are good, decent or just too smooth....or I don't know what else?

    Thank's for your comment

  2. I would probably go with the Motobecane for the AMC CR420 Wheelset alone and because Bikesdirect.com will stand behind the product. The other bike is an Italian company that sells a lot of bikes in Europe. They are great too. It looks like you have a tough decision.

    stefs said:

    Hi all, I have a TREK 2006 5200. Which is nice

    I want to have a secondary bike and was looking for a cheaper bike.

    Look at those 2 links.

    cgi.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

    bikesdirect.comlechamp07 sl preorders.htm

    I think that just the Ultegra group and the wheels are worth the price. Is there something I don't see to be at such a low price?

    I don't know about the frame. Anyone could tell me if they are good, decent or just too smooth....or I don't know what else?

    Thank's for your comment

  3. I would go for the 2nd bike. The wheels and Ultegra parts should be worth it, IMO. Downside is, that it's almost too good for a 2nd bike!! (also, it's 200$ off your wallet, but I guess you know that already.) I know that lots of people talk about them American Classics being real wobbly, but I have a couple of friends who ride them, and they think they're great, so ..

    On the other hand, the first one looks like it can take a lot of beating and it's still ace. Carbon fork, Ultegra, FSA crank, etc. And 200$ less.

    My subjective opinion is bike #2. 🙂

  4. stefs said:

    Hi all, I have a TREK 2006 5200. Which is nice

    I want to have a secondary bike and was looking for a cheaper bike.

    Look at those 2 links.

    cgi.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

    bikesdirect.comlechamp07 sl preorders.htm

    I think that just the Ultegra group and the wheels are worth the price. Is there something I don't see to be at such a low price?

    I don't know about the frame. Anyone could tell me if they are good, decent or just too smooth....or I don't know what else?

    Thank's for your comment

    I would suggest considering a used bike for your second bike. You can get a lot nicer frame and decent parts on a high quality used bike for several hundred dollars. Lots of used Treks, Specialized, and Giants out there for not too much. On Craigslist in Seattle today, I saw a 2 Lemonds, 2 Felts, a Specialized and even a Surly, all less than 2 years old, for around $1K or less and several older but decent bikes in the <$500 range. If my wife wouldn't kill me, I would buy the Surly at the listed price of $800. Way more character than a made-in-china bikesdirect.com deal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.