Need your opinions!!!

JonasG

Oct 2, 2006
Ok, first of all, hello everyone... Im new here and new to cycling.

So here's the deal. I have about 1000 to spend on my first bike. I want something thats going to be a) great for a beginner, b) fun to ride, and c) something that i can use to keep up with on group rides.

Now, let me tell you what ive ridden so far. Ive ridden a Giant OCR 3 which i really didn't feel comfortable on... Scattante R650, while it had Ultegra components the bike itself didn't suit me... Specialed Allez Elite, this bike felt nice, but for 1200 bucks i would expect something better than tiagra components... The Trek 1500 is pretty much my top choice right now. I found one brand new for 950, and everything seems to fit pretty well... Tomorow im going to ride a Felt F80, but other than that, i think im out of options, right? I mean, if not, what else should i try? Also, can you all give me some pro's and con's for the Trek 1500... what are its strong and weak points as compared to the Felt, or any of the other bikes out there that i should be trying. Thanks in advance for all of the great help!

Cheers,
Jonas

The Reviews section for opinions about bikes. could be helpful if you havent already done so.
I would suggest buy the best you can with your money you have to spend.
Also leave some funds aside for your apparel, shoes, helmet, spare tube, pump, tools, etc...these do contribute to your enjoyment /saftey of the ride. It all adds up.
Make sure you get right size bike frame, you can upgrade components but frame can be expensive if its not the right fit.
Trying a range of bikes is good too.
You may get a good deal or a higher spec bike in a previous season model. This could be a nicer ride for the same price as a latest season bike. At this stage it's your legs more than anything else that will help you keep up with a group on a ride.

I've just got back into cycling after a long lay-off and bought a Trek 1200, which I think is a good sound bike. Since the 1500 will have better kit on it I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

hey jonas,

ive just decided to get into cycling myself and just bought a trek 1000 for AU$850 a few weeks ago. i test rode a 1500 in the process, its a very impressive bike, felt much better than the 1000, couldnt really fault it overall but then again im no expert. at the time i couldnt justify spending double the money of a 1000 on a 1500 since i didnt really know how much cycling i would be doing, but after riding the 1000 for a few weeks, and putting up with the terrible front deraileur, cheap brakes, ordinary wheels, im starting to have second thoughts. dont get me wrong the 1000 is a top bike for the money, but now im riding a lot more, i will definately be upgrading components soon.

so in conclusion, my experience with treks had been good, great value for money, cant say i know much about specialized or felt, but i dont recon u can go too wrong with a 1500

good luck:D

The geometry of the Felt is far more aggressive than that of the Allez or Trek 1500. The Felt is a good bike at a great price if it is comfortable to you. At 54 years, I had to move in the other direction and chose the Specialized Roubaix over the Trek Pilot 5.0. Trek 5000, Specialized Allez Comp, or Felt f5C.

Jonas, you do not identify your location, but you must not be talking about US dollars. The Allez Elite is only $1100 US. The Allez Comp has 105 components for $1600 US.

RickF said:
Jonas, you do not identify your location, but you must not be talking about US dollars. The Allez Elite is only $1100 US. The Allez Comp has 105 components for $1600 US.
Rick, Im in San Diego, CA... Very much the US. The shop that i went to had the Allez Elite for 1200.. or maybe 1199, but same difference, right? Anyway, the Allez comp for 1600 with only 105's is a bit of a rip off when it comes to components if you ask me. I mean, im sure its a great bike, but 1600 and all your getting is 105s? In any case, im going to ride the Felt today and i'll post here what i think.

Cheers everyone,
Jonas

There is nothing wrong with 105 components. There is a difference in quality and performance when you move from Sora to Tiagra and from Tiagra to 105, but the only real difference between 105 and Ultegra or between Ultegra and Dura Ace is weight and appearance. At that level, there is a lot of money spent to save a few grams.

Each company saves money in different places. For bikes in the same price range, Trek puts Ultegra components (or at least the rear derailleur) on lower level frames than Specialized does. Felt usually has lower quality wheels than Trek or Specialized. To have the same price, something has to give.

RickF said:
There is nothing wrong with 105 components. There is a difference in quality and performance when you move from Sora to Tiagra and from Tiagra to 105, but the only real difference between 105 and Ultegra or between Ultegra and Dura Ace is weight and appearance. At that level, there is a lot of money spent to save a few grams.

Each company saves money in different places. For bikes in the same price range, Trek puts Ultegra components (or at least the rear derailleur) on lower level frames than Specialized does. Felt usually has lower quality wheels than Trek or Specialized. To have the same price, something has to give.
Ok, so i went and test rode the Felts... First i thought that i was just going to ride an 06 F80, however, my buddy was telling the salesman how much i liked the 1500 and he told me that he could sell me an F75 for 1050... Rode that and LOVED it. But here is where the tricky stuff comes in... So after that i went to the local shop that sells trek and they told me to hop on a 60cm trek 1500, went out and Loved that also. Im really torn. I could get the trek for 1000 or spend an extra 50 bucks for carbon rear stays... Pros and cons on both?

If there is little or no real difference between the two bikes you might want to consider which of the two shops you think would be most helpful in the future with repairs, etc.

I pulled the trigger yesterday on the Felt F75. Its alot of fun... think im gonna go take it out. Thanks for the great advice everyone!!!

Cheers,
Jonas