Needing training advice

Cdn Rookie

Feb 12, 2006
Not sure if my training is heading the right way.I am a rookie in training for a any events. I been training to do 4 charity rides 3 of them is 150km and one of them is 2 day total 400km. The 400km event is in August and the other 3 is in June and July. I just started getting serious in road cycing the past year 1 1/2 . Last year I road for about 1500kms from April to Oct at a pace of 20 km

I have been training indoor for the past 2 month 5 days a week on the I-Magic 40km a session non stop. until the weather gets better outdoors. Once the weather does get better I planing to train 3 nights a week for aprox 50km a night and the weekend planing to to do 75-100 km a day

My stats are as follow for the past 2 month
avg pwr 138
avg cad 78
avg hr 150
spd 28.5km

Is their anything I should change or improve?

Thanks

While it is possible to create a full on training plan for you with wattage numbers, periodization of workouts, and specific intervals; the best way for right now may be to just ride. You'll need to build your base and accumulate time in the saddle in order to be able to handle the distances of the charity events. I would say to slowly increase the length of your rides until you can handle much longer rides. At what point in an endurance ride do you normally become very tired? IOW how long can you last on the bike? What are your longest rides? It might be worth it if you can handle the boredom to maybe reduce frequency to 3-4 days with longer workouts instead of 5 days a week doing 40 k. The goal before you build up your speed would be to be able last most of the distance of the event, so just build up your functional endurance*.

Once the weather does get better I planing to train 3 nights a week for aprox 50km a night and the weekend planing to to do 75-100 km a day

I would build up gradually to doing 100k on both weekends days as that would mean that 2 consecutive days would be 13 % of the total volume you did in 6-7 months of last year.

*I define Functional Aerobic Endurance somewhat abstractly as the duration that you can regularly do at a moderate pace, as in upper Z2. For me I define that point as the longest duration I can usually achieve ~.80 IF. Even though the definition is abstract most people know how long they can "last" and that's usually the approximate number.

Any questions, feel free to ask

Greg

My longest ride was 80k last summer. These past 2 months I start suffering around 35km on the I-magic. When I was on the road last year the part i suffer the most on the hills but when I was on flat roads I was ok. I usually did about 2 to 3 hours rides on the weekends. I do feel my fitness getting better and also I lost 25lbs in the past 2 months hopeing to loose anther 20. The part I am confused reading some cycling training books some say i sould keep by cadance around 90 but I seem to have problems mataining that with gear selection I use.
I been training on the big gears, when using the small gears I don't feel I getting any training training done.

Thank

There is nothing wrong with pushing big gears, but you should give a serious try at smaller ones, with higher cadence. Once you have seriously tried it, then the choice will be up to you.

I tend to agree with Greg. Given the distance of your next summer's events, do a lot of L2 riding, plus some intervals, maybe once a week, to better prepare you for the hills.

If you are just training for long non-competitive rides and not racing there's not much point in doing intervals. Just train as you are at a moderate pace 75 - 80% max heart rate and include some hills in your training. Make sure you include weekly long sessions in your training. There's no need to go further than you will ride on the day. Time spent on the bike is the key to what you are doing. Making your back stronger and getting your whole body used to being on the bike for a long time, especially you back-side. Learn to spin. Pushing big gears is not good at all. It's inefficient and will cause trouble with your knees. Also keeping your weight down helps too of course.

Good luck Jay