negative drag

Hello all,

I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
this drag is partially shared with the rider.

We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.

I have illustrated the concept here.

http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag

Let me think what you hear ok?

Regards,

gaby de wilde

On Dec 11, 9:19 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> this drag is partially shared with the rider.
>
> We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

Do you actually believe this?

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> this drag is partially shared with the rider.
>
> We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)
>
> Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
> is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
> available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.
>
> I have illustrated the concept here.
>
> http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag
>
> Let me think what you hear ok?
>
> Regards,
>
> gaby de wilde

Of course what would really happen is that the wind would initially blow
you backwards slightly, the backwards motion causing the fan to rotate
backwards which would cause you to go backwards faster, causing the fan
to rotate faster and so on. The effect would snowball until you were
going backwards at the speed of sound.

elmo

On Dec 12, 7:45 am, Eric Gisse <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 9:19 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,

> > I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> > by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> > this drag is partially shared with the rider.

> > We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

> Do you actually believe this?

No it was a joke, I obviously mean wind energy. But you can only "use"
drag one time. If you put a propeller in front of a bicycle the
propeller will obviously break part of the drag. This "drag" will then
be "lost" from the face of the cyclist. Just like when you put up a
windscreen or have some one cycle in front of you.

Or do you think the same drag can be fully applied twice? One time to
the propeller and another time onto the rider? 2 times the same force?

On Dec 12, 8:28 am, Elmo <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hello all,

> > I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> > by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> > this drag is partially shared with the rider.

> > We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

> > Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
> > is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
> > available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.

> > I have illustrated the concept here.

> >http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag

> > Let me think what you hear ok?

> > Regards,

> > gaby de wilde

> Of course what would really happen is that the wind would initially blow
> you backwards slightly, the backwards motion causing the fan to rotate
> backwards which would cause you to go backwards faster, causing the fan
> to rotate faster and so on. The effect would snowball until you were
> going backwards at the speed of sound.
>
> elmo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing#The_physics_of_sailing

"Elmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> > by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> > this drag is partially shared with the rider.

And that means what?
If the drag is hared with the rider, the rider shares that with the car, so
the drag is on the car anyway.

> > Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
> > is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
> > available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.

Perhaps you mean that a portion of the drag energy has been converted into
forward propulsion. However, putting a fan into the airstream "increases"
the drag in the first place, so the energy produced may help to alleviate
that "extra" drag you just created.

> Of course what would really happen is that the wind would initially blow
> you backwards slightly, the backwards motion causing the fan to rotate

Errr, what wind? The car isn't moving, so where did this wind come from?

> backwards which would cause you to go backwards faster, causing the fan
> to rotate faster and so on. The effect would snowball until you were
> going backwards at the speed of sound.

Nope. The fan is in "that" wind, which is coming from the front,
apparently. Do you realize you are suggesting that the wind will blow the
car backwards so fast that it will be going backwards faster than the wind
is blowing? Otherwise the fan keeps going as if the car were moving
forward, does it not?.

Perhaps you could extend this to fans blowing onto sails on boats. Or, a
turbine in the water that generates a current to run the boats electric
motor thus keeping it moving forward to drive the turbine.

I imagine free energy, if it's possible, should take just a tad more
thought.

Vince

Hello Vince,

On Dec 12, 9:59 am, "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> Perhaps you mean that a portion of the drag energy has been converted into
> forward propulsion.

yes, you do know what I mean.

>However, putting a fan into the airstream "increases" the drag in the first place,

Yes, but you cant keep increasing the drag without increasing the
surface. Like for example inside a car there is no wind.

>so the energy produced may help to alleviate
> that "extra" drag you just created.

Exactly.

If we would stack 2 windmills on the front of a bike the second one
will not generate as much drag as the first one. Of course that means
it wont spin as fast as the first one either.

In that same way the rider is not subjected to the full amount of drag
because the propeller has pre-accelerated some of the air.

If there is any drag on the propeller anything behind it is suffering
below maximum drag. It of course makes a world of difference if you
just try to push the air away or if you use it for propulsion.

You get the picture.

I also made a picture to show you can sail close to straight up the
wind. It means there is still much room for improvement. One should
imagine the combination of both in case that isn't obvious still. :)

The wind will be the propulsion together with the drag but some drag
is also reduced in my design, you can see the vertical rotors push the
wind to the sides. This is creating a vacuum at the front, they also
push the wind inwards at the rear, this creates pressure behind the
rider.

The total is the sum of the parts.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello Vince,
>
> On Dec 12, 9:59 am, "Vince Morgan" <vinharAtHereoptusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Perhaps you mean that a portion of the drag energy has been converted into
>> forward propulsion.

> yes, you do know what I mean.
>
>> However, putting a fan into the airstream "increases" the drag in the first place,

> Yes, but you cant keep increasing the drag without increasing the
> surface. Like for example inside a car there is no wind.
>
>> so the energy produced may help to alleviate
>> that "extra" drag you just created.
>>

> Exactly.
>
> If we would stack 2 windmills on the front of a bike the second one
> will not generate as much drag as the first one. Of course that means
> it wont spin as fast as the first one either.
>
> In that same way the rider is not subjected to the full amount of drag
> because the propeller has pre-accelerated some of the air.
>
> If there is any drag on the propeller anything behind it is suffering
> below maximum drag. It of course makes a world of difference if you
> just try to push the air away or if you use it for propulsion.
>
> You get the picture.
>
> I also made a picture to show you can sail close to straight up the
> wind. It means there is still much room for improvement. One should
> imagine the combination of both in case that isn't obvious still. :)
>
> The wind will be the propulsion together with the drag but some drag
> is also reduced in my design, you can see the vertical rotors push the
> wind to the sides. This is creating a vacuum at the front, they also
> push the wind inwards at the rear, this creates pressure behind the
> rider.
>
> The total is the sum of the parts.
>
> http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag

Land yachts have already been invented I'm afraid.

Elmo

I took the change out of my left pocket and put it in my right pocket.
Question: what effect did that have on my net worth?

"[email protected]" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> this drag is partially shared with the rider.
>
> We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

1) "Barbarella" and the ice sled.
2) Idiot
3) You won't get to top Jane Fonda, either.
4) Idiot.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> this drag is partially shared with the rider.
>
> We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)
>
> Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
> is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
> available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.
>
> I have illustrated the concept here.
>
> http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag
>
> Let me think what you hear ok?

That's not even among the more humorous and entertaining 'perpetual
motion' follies. Get rid of the silly red-line animations and draw in a
few complex mechanical distractions maybe?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
this drag is partially shared with the rider.

We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)

Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.

I have illustrated the concept here.

http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag

Let me think what you hear ok?

Regards,

gaby de wilde

On Dec 12, 6:03 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I took the change out of my left pocket and put it in my right pocket.
> Question: what effect did that have on my net worth?

Hello Leo,

Lets say there is a big hole in your left pocket.

Drag presented by the rider is not useful for anything, it's an
annoyance.

The surface area of the rider and the fan placed in series is not the
same thing as when placed parallel. The drag per cm2 has it's
maximum.

It's like a screen blocking the wind. You know how a wind screen
works.

It's just like cycling behind someone or driving behind a truck.

The rotors make drag but this drag is not slowing the vehicle down.

The rider is riding in the slipstream of the windmill.

five thousand years ago, the Egyptians made sailboats.

In 1493 Giacomo Caprotti designed a bicycle.

In 1790 Monsieur Sivrac made the first bicycle.

In 50 Hero of Alexandria described A wind wheel operating an organ

In 700 windmills were used in Iran.

Everything has already been done. They are more then worthy
technologies.

If I put the windmill on the bike. You want to pretend it stops
working??

Be specific, what stops working. The bike or the windmill?

They don't just continue to work but they actually compliment another.

Just look at the spammers trying to obfuscate the topic. That should
say enough.

:)

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 12, 6:03 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I took the change out of my left pocket and put it in my right pocket.
>> Question: what effect did that have on my net worth?

> Hello Leo,
>
> Lets say there is a big hole in your left pocket.
>
> Drag presented by the rider is not useful for anything, it's an
> annoyance.
>
> The surface area of the rider and the fan placed in series is not the
> same thing as when placed parallel. The drag per cm2 has it's
> maximum.
>
> It's like a screen blocking the wind. You know how a wind screen
> works.

A wind screen spares the person behind it the annoyance of having to
face into a stiff wind, but it creates a lot of drag.

> It's just like cycling behind someone or driving behind a truck.

Is it, now? Try attaching a garage door to the front of your car and
tell me if it improves your gas mileage the way drafting behind a truck
would. (Hint: It won't, because the drag on the garage door will be
transmitted to your car -- unlike a drafting situation, where the drag
on the truck in front of you is *not* transmitted to your car.)

> The rotors make drag but this drag is not slowing the vehicle down.

It most certainly is, unless the windmill is not attached to the bicycle.

> The rider is riding in the slipstream of the windmill.

But the drag on the windmill acts on the bicycle, and since the rider is
mechanically connected to the bicycle (i.e., sitting on it), it slows
the rider down too. The windmill might make it a little more comfortable
for the rider, the way a windshield would, but it won't help the rider
go any faster.

> five thousand years ago, the Egyptians made sailboats.
>
> In 1493 Giacomo Caprotti designed a bicycle.
>
> In 1790 Monsieur Sivrac made the first bicycle.
>
> In 50 Hero of Alexandria described A wind wheel operating an organ
>
> In 700 windmills were used in Iran.
>
> Everything has already been done.

I don't know about that, but I DO know that you're not the first person
to come up with this idea. It's been done to death (though as a concept
it has its pedagogical uses, namely demonstrating the laws of
thermodynamics).

> If I put the windmill on the bike. You want to pretend it stops
> working??
>
> Be specific, what stops working. The bike or the windmill?
>
> They don't just continue to work but they actually compliment another.

As another person already pointed out, if you put a windmill on the
front of a bicycle it will increase the drag on the bicycle. (For
instance, the air pressure behind the windmill will be less than in
front of it, creating a net force opposing the motion of the bicycle.)
The best you could hope to do is use some of the energy from the fan to
offset the effects of the drag. You will not, however, be able to offset
all of the drag you add, so the net effect will be that the bicyclist
will have to pedal harder to maintain the same speed as without the
windmill.

If you don't believe me, try your idea out in a wind tunnel. I guarantee
the drag coefficient increases enough to negate the energy you extract
from the airstream and then some.

> Just look at the spammers trying to obfuscate the topic. That should
> say enough.

Oh, that's an *old* chestnut -- if enough people say it doesn't work,
why then they're covering something up and it MUST work, right?

[email protected] wrote:
> Lets say there is a big hole in your left pocket.
> Drag presented by the rider is not useful for anything, it's an
> annoyance.
> The surface area of the rider and the fan placed in series is not the
> same thing as when placed parallel. The drag per cm2 has it's
> maximum.
> It's like a screen blocking the wind. You know how a wind screen
> works.
> It's just like cycling behind someone or driving behind a truck.
> The rotors make drag but this drag is not slowing the vehicle down.
> The rider is riding in the slipstream of the windmill.
> five thousand years ago, the Egyptians made sailboats.
> In 1493 Giacomo Caprotti designed a bicycle.
> In 1790 Monsieur Sivrac made the first bicycle.
> In 50 Hero of Alexandria described A wind wheel operating an organ
> In 700 windmills were used in Iran.
> Everything has already been done. They are more then worthy
> technologies.
> If I put the windmill on the bike. You want to pretend it stops
> working??
> Be specific, what stops working. The bike or the windmill?
> They don't just continue to work but they actually compliment another.
> Just look at the spammers trying to obfuscate the topic. That should
> say enough.

I'll put some cash on a bet that anything you add to your bicycle's
frontal area reduces speed for any given constant effort. Magic fans,
ducts, rotors, ouija boards, windscreens and sails included. Name it.
How's $100 sound to you??

Although the Patent Office won't accept applications for perpetual
motion devices, you'd have bragging rights and my $100 if you succeed.

p.s. you intended 'complement'
--

R.H. Allen wrote:
> Oh, that's an *old* chestnut -- if enough people say it doesn't work,
> why then they're covering something up and it MUST work, right?

Every kid who had a Molor Products "Cosmic Whirl" just _knew_ it made
the bike go faster:
http://www.deltiology.com/00000images/cosmic.gif
(discontinued product AFAIK)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

<[email protected]> wrote: clip) It's just like cycling behind someone or
driving behind a truck. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Then please do this thought experiment and report the results:

Mount your bicycle behind a truck, so that when you pedal you push the
truck. ;-) I don't know why I am continuing in this argument--every
proposal to achieve perpectual motion can be put away with this simple
statement: "It's against the law."

On Dec 12, 2:46 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm happy to announce that the drag generated by a vehicle may be used
> by a windmill as if it was wind. This of course creates extra drag but
> this drag is partially shared with the rider.
>
> We thus have a free energy situation on our hands here. :)
>
> Drag is limited by the size of the vehicle. If any amount of this drag
> is turned into propulsion then that percentage (just) wont be
> available for slowing the vehicle down. It's not-there anymore.
>
> I have illustrated the concept here.
>
> http://gabydewilde.googlepages.com/negative-drag
>
> Let me think what you hear ok?

If *you* had to power an array of windmills with your own legs
pedaling the bike, you wouldn't think that the energy was "free".

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA