Neil got hit by a car today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becka Currant

Apologies for my silence on this newsgroup but cycling and a 14 week old baby don't mix at the mo!!!

Neil went out for a ride today but was hit by a car turning right into a side road not far from
home. Fortunately he is fine apart from minor bruising, sprains and gravel rash but his bike is
totalled.....

The b*s*a*d driver originally admitted liability at the scene but has since told his insurance
company that Neil was to blame (he wasn't I assure you). we have reported it to the police but
unfortunately there are no witnesses so it's his word against the drivers. We have contacted the CTC
accident line and are waiting for the documentation to arrive in the post so we can see if we can
make a claim.

Have any of you been in a similar situation and made a successful claim?? To be honest I can't see
*what* the driver can have told them which makes it Neil's fault but he's obviously concocted some
bull**** story.....

We have £2k of broken bike in the kitchen and are both very annoyed.

In the meantime if any of you cycle in/near Harden keep an eye out for a car with the reg. YG03 CNK.

Thanks for any help you can give

Becka

[email protected] (Becka Currant) wrote in message
> Neil went out for a ride today but was hit by a car turning right into a side road not far from
> home. Fortunately he is fine apart from minor bruising, sprains and gravel rash but his bike is
> totalled.....

Becka:

I hope Neil is on the mend (pity bikes don't heal though).

I had a very similar incident (can't call it an accident) when a driver stopped at a give way
junction just in front of me, waited until I was right in front of the car, then let out the
clutch........"I didn't see you", she said, despite 35 watts of light illuminating her at the time
(January at around 5:45pm).

Having been there before I lay like roadkill, that *really* worries the cagers and helps prevent
then buggering off ("I thought he was ok"), till a crowd gathered around me, a big one!

"Can I phone for an ambulance?", said one kind soul, "Get the Police first then an ambulance
please", says I and that's the order they came
ra.

A nice doc and a nurse from the health centre across the road (best place to have a crash!) came out
and applied first aid and refused to let me get up in case of neck injuries.

A nice chap calls my wife and takes the stricken Trek home, which was just around the corner.

Police were excellent as were the BCF lawyers but it still took a year to get my money back for the
repairs I had to make to get me back in the saddle a few weeks afterwards.

The CTC legal chaps seem to have a good reputation for getting recompense for cyclists.

Moral of the story is to play dead if you can, by the time you get your breath back and realise that
you're not actually dead the traffic will have ground to a halt and, besides, you might have neck or
spinal injuries.

All the best to Neil, yourself and the baby.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.