NEMBA Roast n' Ride

• Thread starter B A R R Y B U R
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B A R R Y B U R

Alright, who from AM-B is going?

I'm camping @ Bear Brook as it's too far to drive up for the day. I'm hoping to get clearance to
ride Tuesday from my broken shoulder doc. If not, I'll be more roasted than ridden. <G>

Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
> Alright, who from AM-B is going?

I will be staffing the warter/aid station at Hayes Field (which is curretnly a mud pit) You should
be able to find me there. Unless, I have to go scrape up some Barney Splatter off the trail :-( Just
look for the big fat guy in the dorky yellow jersey.

Of course, I'll be a the the Pig Roast afterwards.

ClydesdaleMTB says:

>Just look for the big fat guy in the dorky yellow jersey.
>

You're not fat - you're big boned.....

ClydesdaleMTB said...

>
> Of course, I'll be a the the Pig Roast afterwards.
>

Not as the main course, I hope :?) Just kidding, just kidding. Don't kick my ass or anything.

SuperSlinky wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB said...
>>Of course, I'll be a the the Pig Roast afterwards.
> Not as the main course, I hope :?)\

Hey, I'm not _currently_ a L.E.O. I was.... and I will soone be one again, I'm currently
entertaining two possibilities from "down south".

> Just kidding, just kidding.

No offence taken, I assure you.

> Don't kick my ass or anything.

I prefer to settle things over a beer.

I'm really quite a passive person, but I can get froggy should the need arise:
http://www.shavings.net/images/justfolks/karate_john.jpg (Okay, that picture is ummmm..... like.....
15 years old ;-)

ClydesdaleMTB said...

> Hey, I'm not _currently_ a L.E.O. I was.... and I will soone be one again, I'm currently
> entertaining two possibilities from "down south".

Actually, I wasn't thinking about that angle, but it works just as well
:¢)

> I prefer to settle things over a beer.
>
> I'm really quite a passive person, but I can get froggy should the need arise:
> http://www.shavings.net/images/justfolks/karate_john.jpg (Okay, that picture is ummmm.....
> like..... 15 years old ;-)

That comment inspired me to pop open a Bass. I know, real English people hate it, but I like it, and
I got a 12 pack for $10 on sale. I have actually heard of some people across the pond buying
Budweiser and liking it, perish the thought. No offense to any Bud drinkers, of course.

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 14:31:15 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
>> Alright, who from AM-B is going?
>
>I will be staffing the warter/aid station at Hayes Field (which is curretnly a mud pit) You should
>be able to find me there. Unless, I have to go scrape up some Barney Splatter off the trail :-(
>Just look for the big fat guy in the dorky yellow jersey.
>
>
>
>Of course, I'll be a the the Pig Roast afterwards.

I'll wear my Bright Yellow NEMBA Connecticut Trail Ambassador t-shirt to the Pig Roast. Introduce
yourself! <G>

Barry

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That comment inspired me to pop open a Bass.

You are sick. There is neither cure nor treatment. You should end yourself now.

> I know, real English people hate it, but I like it, and I got a 12 pack for $10 on sale.

There are no real English people.

> I have actually heard of some people across the pond buying Budweiser and liking it, perish the
> thought.

Perish the ****.

> No offense to any Bud drinkers, of course.

Shaun aRe drank Danish lager, a fantastic Australian white wine made from a classic German grape
variety, a gorgeous slightly blushed French Methode Champaniose dry sparkling wine I bought from the
actual wine maker himself, vodka with mixer, gin, tonic, ice and lime, some ordinary red wine (?)
and some water this Friday/Saturday - didn't even see a Bud label anywhere ',;~}~

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:57:03 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> That comment inspired me to pop open a Bass.
>
>You are sick. There is neither cure nor treatment. You should end yourself now.
>

You guys have inspired me to pop a few Magic Hat Fat Angels. <G>

Clyde, what kind of beer are we having at R&R?

Barry

> Clyde, what kind of beer are we having at R&R?

I dunno about this "WE" stuff..... But _I_ have a (2) 12-packs of Nutfield Ale's <
http://www.nutfield.com/ > "mixed nuts" They are currently shipping out packed with: Summer Wheat,
Auburn Ale, Old Man Ale, and Black 47 Stout. Well, I guess I could share one or two with some
select folks.

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:45:31 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
>> Clyde, what kind of beer are we having at R&R?
>
>I dunno about this "WE" stuff..... But _I_ have a (2) 12-packs of Nutfield Ale's <
>http://www.nutfield.com/ > "mixed nuts" They are currently shipping out packed with: Summer Wheat,
>Auburn Ale, Old Man Ale, and Black 47 Stout. Well, I guess I could share one or two with some
>select folks.

I meant at the roast.

I'll be bringing some myself, of course. I thought someone donated kegs to to cause.

Barry

> I meant at the roast.

Ohh..... I dunno about THAT, I just hope a case is enough to get me through the day. perhaps Rolling
Rock or Ballentine.

> I'll be bringing some myself, of course.

Of course.

> I thought someone donated kegs to to cause.

I tried to get him to but there were two problems...
1)the park does not (officialy) allow alchohol
2) he had already committed to supplying the beer for 2 weddings, w/in a month) and had no "extra"
kegs.... we are really working to finish of the Dunkel Boc <belch>

On a positive note, we are brewing up a batch of Russian Imperial Stout next week.. Unfortunately,
it takes a full year to finish... Perhaps it'll be ready for the R&R2?

Shaun Rimmer said...

> > I have actually heard of some people across the pond buying Budweiser and liking it, perish the
> > thought.
>
> Perish the ****.

Ah, so you are acquainted with that...that...stuff. Over here it is affectionately known as
Clydesdale ****. No offense to John, of course.

> > No offense to any Bud drinkers, of course.
>

Actually, Budweiser seems quite good when compared to some of the really cheap swill they sell over
here. You should try Pabst Blue Ribbon, Milwaukee's Best, or Stroh's sometime. I can't drink any of
it. I get instant heartburn. Do they sell utter **** like that in England, or is it just an
American thing?

> Shaun Rimmer said...
>
> > > I have actually heard of some people across the pond buying Budweiser and liking it, perish
> > > the thought.
> >
> > Perish the ****.
>
> Ah, so you are acquainted with that...that...stuff. Over here it is affectionately known as
> Clydesdale ****. No offense to John, of course.

Some of our lesser drinking establishments dare to even keep this.........'liquid evilness' on
draught...... ;-(

> > > No offense to any Bud drinkers, of course.
> >

>
> Actually, Budweiser seems quite good when compared to some of the really cheap swill they sell
> over here. You should try Pabst Blue Ribbon, Milwaukee's Best, or Stroh's sometime. I can't drink
> any of it. I get instant heartburn. Do they sell utter **** like that in England, or is it just an
> American thing?

It is a thing of the whole world. I suppose we should thank the **** merchants, for without them, we
would struggle to know the quality of truly excellent things for lack of a good comparison. What is
day without night?

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer said...

> Some of our lesser drinking establishments dare to even keep this.........'liquid evilness' on
> draught...... ;-(

Yer shittin' me, aren't you? England, home of better beer than anything American, serves Spudweiser
on tap? And your government allows this to go on? Heck, it was English beers that caused the
micro-brewery revolution to happen over here. People over here are moving away from that **** to
better quality, lower volume beers. Now I know why the French burn down American fast food
restaurants

> It is a thing of the whole world. I suppose we should thank the **** merchants, for without them,
> we would struggle to know the quality of truly excellent things for lack of a good comparison.
> What is day without night?

Well, I guess that is true, but the real reason for the existence of the really nasty stuff is so
that hardcore alcoholics can maintain their drunk longer for a given amount of money.

> Shaun Rimmer said...
>
> > Some of our lesser drinking establishments dare to even keep this.........'liquid evilness' on
> > draught...... ;-(
>
> Yer shittin' me, aren't you?

Not in the least. Last place I saw this was actually a really nice village pub - went in one week,
and where there was a Carlsberg export tap the week before, now there stood the most dastardly red
and white abomination........if it hadn't been for the genuine high quality draught ales on real
pumps along the same bar, I think I might still be in serious emotional trauma therapy....

> England, home of better beer than anything American, serves Spudweiser on tap?

YES DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!

> And your government allows this to go on?

Our government is dastardly.......

> Heck, it was English beers that caused the micro-brewery revolution to happen over here. People
> over here are moving away from that **** to better quality, lower volume beers.

And thankfully, we have many, many of them here and readily available, despite the influx of USAian
faecal matter. I hate Budweiser, I hate McDonalds, I hate Burger King..........it has started, I
pray it ends before completion.......<shud-d-d-d-d-der......>.........

> Now I know why the French burn down American fast food restaurants
>
> > It is a thing of the whole world. I suppose we should thank the **** merchants, for without
> > them, we would struggle to know the quality of
truly
> > excellent things for lack of a good comparison. What is day without
night?
>
> Well, I guess that is true, but the real reason for the existence of the really nasty stuff is so
> that hardcore alcoholics can maintain their drunk longer for a given amount of money.

Maybe, but surely it's better to drink cheap sherry or cider than that........stuff............

Shaun aRe

SuperSlinky wrote:

> Yer shittin' me, aren't you? England, home of better beer than anything American, serves
> Spudweiser on tap? And your government allows this to go on? Heck, it was English beers that
> caused the micro-brewery revolution to happen over here. People over here are moving away from
> that **** to better quality, lower volume beers.

It's quite simple when you think about it. Firstly, the English have a different drinking culture.
We don't drink beer to appreciate the fine tastes brought about through the brewing process and the
careful selection of ingredients (we have wine for that), we drink it because our entire social
environment revolves around it. Whole communities and lives are shaped round drinking down the local
pub, people go to the pub for lunch and go for drinks after work with their colleagues.

So, for the most part, we drink lager. Why? Because you can drink gallons of the stuff. Now, the
English don't produce many lagers (Carling is about the only one that readily springs to mind) and
certainly none that are really any good. It's not easy to make a good, flavoursome lager and have
everybody like it. As such, the less offensive the better, so from that point of view, Bud is a
winner. It has very little taste, won't give you a minging hangover and importantly for the English,
has a high alcohol content. Couple this with the 'overseas import' tag, the 'all-things-American'
kudos, and a clever marketing campaign and it begins to make sense.

At the end of the day, Bud isn't a /bad/ beer (I've certainly had much worse), it's just not a
particularly great beer. It is, however, totally inoffensive and that's why the English like it.

> Now I know why the French burn down American fast food restaurants

Because they're protesting against the neo-imperialist foreign policy of your government?

>>It is a thing of the whole world. I suppose we should thank the **** merchants, for without them,
>>we would struggle to know the quality of truly excellent things for lack of a good comparison.
>>What is day without night?
>
>
> Well, I guess that is true, but the real reason for the existence of the really nasty stuff is so
> that hardcore alcoholics can maintain their drunk longer for a given amount of money.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Tenent's Super Brew...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Shaun Rimmer said...
> >
> > > Some of our lesser drinking establishments dare to even keep this.........'liquid evilness' on
> > > draught...... ;-(
> >
> > Yer shittin' me, aren't you?
>
> Not in the least. Last place I saw this was actually a really nice village pub - went in one week,
> and where there was a Carlsberg export tap the
week
> before, now there stood the most dastardly red and white abomination........if it hadn't been for
> the genuine high quality draught ales on real pumps along the same bar, I think I might still be
> in serious emotional trauma therapy....
>
> > England, home of better beer than anything American, serves Spudweiser on tap?
>

While I like pretty much every English beer I've ever had, I have to admit that some of the American
microbrews are better. However, the English beers tend to be less filling, so I've switched to them.
For instance, compare Guinness Extra Stout with Cream Stout by Sam Adams. By comparison, Guinness is
wimpy, lacking both taste and body. However, Cream Stout is like drinking a milkshake -- I can have
maybe two before my stomach is in knots. So, even though I like quite a few American brews more than
English brews, I've switched to English (when I drink -- which is rarely).

I do agree that Sudweiser sucks.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Shaun Rimmer said...
> > >
> > > > Some of our lesser drinking establishments dare to even keep this.........'liquid evilness'
> > > > on draught...... ;-(
> > >
> > > Yer shittin' me, aren't you?
> >
> > Not in the least. Last place I saw this was actually a really nice
village
> > pub - went in one week, and where there was a Carlsberg export tap the
> week
> > before, now there stood the most dastardly red and white abomination........if it hadn't been
> > for the genuine high quality
draught
> > ales on real pumps along the same bar, I think I might still be in
serious
> > emotional trauma therapy....
> >
> > > England, home of better beer than anything American, serves Spudweiser on tap?
> >
>
> While I like pretty much every English beer I've ever had, I have to admit that some of the
> American microbrews are better.

Than 'some' of the English - it works both ways.

> However, the English beers tend to be less filling, so I've switched to them. For instance,
> compare Guinness Extra Stout with Cream Stout by Sam Adams.

Guinness is Irish.

> By comparison, Guinness is wimpy, lacking both taste and body.

Then you're not getting the best Guinness.

> However, Cream Stout is like drinking a milkshake -- I can have maybe two before my stomach is in
knots.
> So, even though I like quite a few American brews more than English brews, I've switched to
> English (when I drink -- which is rarely).
>
> I do agree that Sudweiser sucks.

Shaun aRe

Status
Not open for further replies.