NEON lightings

neverquit

Nov 23, 2007
oKAY Guys!!
im Aloy and im a new member
:)

Im gona suggest one weird lil idea for bikes and i just want to hear opinions and whether is it really a practical solution for NIGHT LIGHTINGs especially that i do night cycles pretty frequently

As my title reads, i was thinking of adding a neon bar light under my bike
the type of neon bar lights -> the ones that some super cool rides have

The effect -> your bike glowing through the darkness
And the most important effect actually is that you would be quite the center of attraction both for safety and style

but now comes the punch

Is it practical to put a neon bar light under my bike considering its a pretty high up MTB with 2 suspensions???

Ive got people telling me it can be quite heavy and might not be safe for riding

Please give your comments :)

This is the kind of question that you pretty much have to figure out for yourself. Probably nobody's done it yet so all people can tell you is that they're either not interested or why they haven't done it.

If you think that would be cool, I say go for it! Start trying to find the components that you need and staart solving the mounting and power issues. The worst that can happen is you'll fail. Even if you do you'll have learned a bunch of stuff through the process so the effort won't have been wasted.

Aren't neon lights rather fragile?

Is this for effect, or are you using it for safety? If for safety, you might what to think about whether it would be an improvement or a detriment compared to other available products.

Its kinda both for Safety and effect
I came up with a logical thing that kinda means ..

A normal front headlight+ back red blinking light would of course provide ample safety ... but if you think again, im having a fully suspended bike and do not have space for a big lamp [mwuahahaha cool excuse so my mum cant say anything] and thus only a small lamp would be availabe for use
This is also because a big lamp = GAYYY LOL

The back red light, ive got nothing against it, infact i do think its kinda cool

But with a neon bar light

My bike would be glowing and blinking thru the streets man!! not literally blinking but the glowing part, and id be alot more visable and most probably the center of attraction = visability of at least 90-95%

SADLY. .. I JUST GOT NEWS that NEON bar lights are kinda illegal for singapore .. which ill try to contact LandTransportAuthority to ask if it applies for bikes too... :S

You sound young.

Do you drive a car? Do you have any idea how difficult it is for a car driver to always see cyclists at night? Those little red blinkly things that seem so bright when you have them right in front of you easily fade into nothingness in the presence of street / shop lighting and the lights of oncoming traffic.

Forget the neon idea - get the best and brightest lights you can if you are going to ride at night. Perhaps you can even get your mom to pay for some really good ones (like the Dinotte - go have a look).

neverquit said:
Its kinda both for Safety and effect
I came up with a logical thing that kinda means ..

A normal front headlight+ back red blinking light would of course provide ample safety ... but if you think again, im having a fully suspended bike and do not have space for a big lamp [mwuahahaha cool excuse so my mum cant say anything] and thus only a small lamp would be availabe for use
This is also because a big lamp = GAYYY LOL

The back red light, ive got nothing against it, infact i do think its kinda cool

But with a neon bar light

My bike would be glowing and blinking thru the streets man!! not literally blinking but the glowing part, and id be alot more visable and most probably the center of attraction = visability of at least 90-95%

SADLY. .. I JUST GOT NEWS that NEON bar lights are kinda illegal for singapore .. which ill try to contact LandTransportAuthority to ask if it applies for bikes too... :S

I have to say this is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard yet. First the intensity and visibility of neon lights for vehicles is less than impressive, certainly not of a magnitude that improve safety at all. Also, mounting a neon tube low on the bike makes visibility even worse for drivers.

Any bicycle can have hella strong lights put on it, including full suspension bikes. I'll bet that all the folks racing in 24hr mountain bike races would be surprised to hear you claim that they can't have good lights on their bikes.

As for the gay comment, well, that pretty much cinches your claim to the ****ing Idiot of the Week prize.

I'd like to see, exactly, where you came up with your 90-95% visibility claim. Did you happen to have radiant exitance values for your neon tubes? And what sort of model did you use to calculate the irradiance on the retina? Did you calculate your values as a function of the eye's responsivity to wavelengths between 350 and 700nm? I'm guessing you pulled the numbers out of your ass.

Does your mom let you on the internet much, unsupervised like this?

alienator said:
I have to say this is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard yet. First the intensity and visibility of neon lights for vehicles is less than impressive, certainly not of a magnitude that improve safety at all. Also, mounting a neon tube low on the bike makes visibility even worse for drivers.

Any bicycle can have hella strong lights put on it, including full suspension bikes. I'll bet that all the folks racing in 24hr mountain bike races would be surprised to hear you claim that they can't have good lights on their bikes.

As for the gay comment, well, that pretty much cinches your claim to the ****ing Idiot of the Week prize.

I'd like to see, exactly, where you came up with your 90-95% visibility claim. Did you happen to have radiant exitance values for your neon tubes? And what sort of model did you use to calculate the irradiance on the retina? Did you calculate your values as a function of the eye's responsivity to wavelengths between 350 and 700nm? I'm guessing you pulled the numbers out of your ass.

Does your mom let you on the internet much, unsupervised like this?

DAMN!

You sound like you could help with a lil more love from your mum if u do have one

whats ur problem man i was just thinking of neon bar lights, and u got ******?
Ahahaha

I could easily imagine what a loser you are to get angry over a suggestion, what, your whackin ur keyboard just cos of me? Good for you
lmao

WAIT U MEAN UR MUM SUPERVISES U WHILE U USE THE COMP?!
No wonder ur this angry.