Neoprene toesties

nash

Guest
Some have said neoprene gets wet and is not effective but the Performance
bike sale has toesties for $10 and they say they are water and wind proof.
Is that false advertising?

SN

"nash" wrote: Some have said neoprene gets wet and is not effective (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, I thought it said testies...Never Mind.

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in news:d57th.776330$5R2.339058
@pd7urf3no:
> Some have said neoprene gets wet and is not effective but the Performance
> bike sale has toesties for $10 and they say they are water and wind proof.
> Is that false advertising?

Nonsense. Scuba diving suits are made from neoprene because it stays warm
when wet. Neoprene is a rubber fabric which is very water and wind proof
(perhaps too much so unless the weather is cold).

nash wrote:
> Some have said neoprene gets wet and is not effective but the Performance
> bike sale has toesties for $10 and they say they are water and wind proof.
> Is that false advertising?
>
> SN

Hi there.

Neoprene is waterproof and very wind resistant. However because it is
waterproof and windproof it does *NOT* breathe. Therefore it is
possible to have condensation problems. I recently bought a pair of
Louis Garneau neoprene booties which are fleece lined. The material is
like that of fleecy jogging pants. The lining absorbs moisture but I
have not had any problems with cold or wet feet whilst wearing them. My
booties zip up the back which makes them much easier to put on. A wee
bit of talcum or baby powder sprinkled in them aids greatly in getting
them on without stressing them as much. This is done by divers too.

BTW wetsuits also work by keeping a thin layer of warmed water next to
the body. Their usefulness in very cold water is limited by their
thickness. It is for that reason drysuits are worn in extremely cold
water.

Cheers from Peter