nervous about the idea of my first group ride!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by JCAN, Jul 31, 2011.

1. JCAN

JCAN New Member

I have been cycling for general fitness for the past 2 years but this past year I've really got into it. I typically ride 3-5 times a week now 50-65 mile rides. I have never been on a group ride. I really want to take part in some of the local rides around but am scared to death at the idea of a group ride. I don't know the etiquette, I'm scared I'll do something wrong and get myself of someone hurt. I only ride alone so I'm use to doing things at my pace, I'm afraid I'm not capable of staying with a group. I feel like if I start with "beginner" rides that my local bike shop has (15-20) miles it would be good for my group skills but I may not be able to pace myself to a "beginner" pace (although i really have no idea how my "pace" is since I ride alone).. Any advice???????

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Can you ride at a pace of 10 - 12 mph? That is the average speed for most beginner group rides. They are usually "no-drop" rides meaning that everyone rides at the slowest persons speed so that you stay together as a group. This is an excellent place to learn how to ride in a group.

Does your LBS sponsor a club or do they just have this beginner's ride? You would be doing well to join a club that has riders in all catagories. Most will want to ride your first couple of rides at least with their beginners so that they can see if you have the group riding skills needed to move up to their intermediate or advanced level rides. But they would be willing to help you aquire any skills that you are lacking.