nested props

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Duaner, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Duaner

    Duaner Guest

    While waiting for my new Bedford muni to arrive, I made some
    new props.

    I made 2 sets of 5 sizes, 6", 7.5", 9", 10.5" and 12" high.

    I'm pretty happy with how they turned out; each size nests
    insided the next larger size.

    The top pic: left - a set of 5 inverted to show the nesting
    rite - a set of 5 nested foreground - a 3' level (size
    reference) The bottom pic: top left - one set of 5 inverted
    to show the nesting rest - the other set of 5 props

    +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Attachment filename: untitled-1.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/185776| +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+

    --
    duaner - -

    duaner.
    duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

  2. Unibrier

    Unibrier Guest

    Nice work and good idea! I've been meaning to pick up
    materials for some sandwich boards, these would be
    useful to.

    A few Q's:

    What is the width of the widest prop?

    How much material did it take?

    Can you post a pic of the end view?

    Thanks,

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve DeKoekkoek
    A one track mind in search of the never-ending sine wave.
    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  3. They look great. I've been playing around with suicide
    mounts with the unicycle standing 'freely'. It's opened up a
    whole new world of running suicide and reverse suicide
    mounts. I had been propping up the uni in pebble gardens and
    things like that but then I thought of propping it up on top
    of a sandwich board, running up, jumping off another one
    (sitting perpendicular to it), and landing on the unicycle.
    This worked out really well and was a lot of fun. I'm
    planning on doing more of these mounts so the other day I
    made myself a sandwich board to suit.

    Sandwich board - side panels -----> Suicide mount
    helper thingy!

    It also allows you to prop up the unicycle tilted backwards
    to make running suicide mounts easier. Tony and I have been
    jumping off boulders onto the unicycle and all sorts of
    things. To do this you just need to wedge something behind
    the tyre and between the top of the tyre and the crown of
    the frame. The photos show all of this.

    There are some photos of fun applications 'here.'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61)

    Andrew

    +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Attachment filename: suicide mount prop.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/185989| +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

  4. Man, Andrew! Your cranks are bent!! IS that a picture
    wierdo, or are those really that bad?

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

  5. Daino149

    Daino149 Guest

  6. S_wallis

    S_wallis Guest

    duaner wrote:
    > *While waiting for my new Bedford muni to arrive, I made
    > some new props.
    >
    > I made 2 sets of 5 sizes, 6", 7.5", 9", 10.5" and
    > 12" high.
    >
    > I'm pretty happy with how they turned out; each size nests
    > insided the next larger size.
    >
    > The top pic: left - a set of 5 inverted to show the
    > nesting rite - a set of 5 nested foreground - a 3'
    > level (size reference) The bottom pic: top left - one
    > set of 5 inverted to show the nesting rest - the other
    > set of 5 props *
    Nice job Duane, and glad to hear you ordered a MUni. I look
    forward to riding with you again when I am able.

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - Riding with a limp

    "I am always doing that which I can not do,
    in order that I may learn how to do it."
    Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  7. Duaner

    Duaner Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > *What is the width of the widest prop? How much material
    > did it take? Can you post a pic of the end view? *

    The largets is 12" high and 22" wide.

    Dunno just how much material, I was working from
    construction scrap.

    End pic of the prop is below.

    Other notes...

    I used 3/4" plywood and a 2x4

    The side slope is 2vertical:1horizontal. I.e. 63.435
    degrees.

    I targetted the top surface to be about the width of a
    sandwich board, so I trimmed the top corners of the 2x4 to
    make the top surfcae 3" wide. This also gave the side slopes
    a little better seat against the 2x4.

    For nesting purposes, the props had to each be AT LEAST 1
    1/2" wider than the next smaller prop (twice the plywood
    thickness). I added a 1/4 inch to this, so made each prop 1
    3/4" wider than the next. The props came out ALMOST too
    snug of a fit.

    I used deck screws (#8), and drilled a pilot hole for each
    screw as I assembled the prop (having two drills helped
    here: one with drill bit, other with screw driver bit) I
    drilled the pilot holes to
    - prevent the plywood from splitting
    - help assure the screws went in reasonable straight

    | Attachment filename: endprop12inch.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/186131| +-------------------------------------------------------