neurodegenerative disease / iron

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Doe, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    J Neurochem. 2004 Mar;88(6):1555-69. Links

    Cell signaling pathways in the neuroprotective actions of
    the green tea polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate:
    implications for neurodegenerative diseases.

    Mandel S, Weinreb O, Amit T, Youdim MB.

    Eve Topf and USA National Parkinson Foundation Centers of
    Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research and
    Department of Pharmacology, Technion-Faculty of Medicine,
    Haifa, Israel.

    Accumulating evidence supports the hypothesis that brain
    iron misregulation and oxidative stress (OS), resulting in
    reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation from H2O2 and
    inflammatory processes, trigger a cascade of events leading
    to apoptotic/necrotic cell death in neurodegenerative
    disorders, such as Parkinson's (PD), Alzheimer's (AD) and
    Huntington's diseases, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    (ALS). Thus, novel therapeutic approaches aimed at
    neutralization of OS-induced neurotoxicity, support the
    application of ROS scavengers, transition metals (e.g. iron
    and copper) chelators and non-vitamin natural antioxidant
    polyphenols, in monotherapy, or as part of antioxidant
    cocktail formulation for these diseases. Both experimental
    and epidemiological evidence demonstrate that flavonoid
    polyphenols, particularly from green tea and blueberries,
    improve age-related cognitive decline and are
    neuroprotective in models of PD, AD and cerebral
    ischemia/reperfusion injuries. However, recent studies
    indicate that the radical scavenger property of green tea
    polyphenols is unlikely to be the sole explanation for their
    neuroprotective capacity and in fact, a wide spectrum of
    cellular signaling events may well account for their
    biological actions. In this article, the currently
    established mechanisms involved in the beneficial health
    action and emerging studies concerning the putative novel
    molecular neuroprotective activity of green tea and its
    major polyphenol (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), will
    be reviewed and discussed.

    PMID: 15009657 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Dyers Diy

    Dyers Diy Guest

    I am a sufferer of parkinsons disease, does this mean
    ordinary green tea found in supermarkets or is it special
    green tea.

    Is this something easily available?

  3. tobyjones

    tobyjones Guest

    [email protected] (Dyers DIY) wrote:
    > I am a sufferer of parkinsons disease, does this mean
    > ordinary green tea found in supermarkets or is it special
    > green tea.
    >
    > Is this something easily available?

    There is a very strong case for links between environmental
    poisons, particularly pesticides, and Parkinsons. Studies
    have been and are being done right up until and including
    the present time. Check it out on pub med. So first, find
    out what links you have there, which ones could have
    contributed. Then see if there is any way of either getting
    them out of you, to whatever extent, or at very least of
    ameliorating their effects. First find out the causes! Then
    see what can be done about that, preferably asap.

    As well, if you are on any meds for it, check out the side
    effects of those
    - some of them are very unpleasant and yet are dismissed as
    being the person's problem, or just ignored.